6Likes
  • 2 Post By oldmopars
  • 3 Post By oldmopars
  • 1 Post By gggGary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 5:07 pm Thread Starter

Garage
Need Suggestions for loading ramp with an LT

OK, so as I have stated here before I am going to be going from Tacoma Wa. to Biloxi Ms. in a few months. I am going to buy a trailer and the one I am looking at does not have a ramp, it is a 6x12 enclosed with a barn style rear door. I can get a real good deal on it as it is used, but in good shape. It fits my budget. I will mostly just be using it to haul the LT down and back, but may park it inside at night if I am not going to be home of if there is a storm coming.
The issue I have is that I would need a ramp for it. At some point I will be buying a KLR 650 and haul it around in this trailer also. Any suggestions on a ramp that would be strong enough to ride a LT up and yet still be able to store inside or hang on the outside of the trailer? I am under 200# and the bike is is under 900#'s, so it would need to hold 1200#'s.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 6:37 pm

Re: Need Suggestions for loading ramp with an LT

Riding my LT up a ramp would scare the bejesus out of me! What's the height of the trailer floor? Any way to drop the trailer wheels into a ditch so the floor is about at ground level?

I have ramps from Harbor Freight that are very reasonable cost but only 1000 lb. rated. If you support them mid span they should work.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #3 of 17 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 7:30 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Look here, I would get a double wide ramp so you could either ride up with the ability to put both feet down or walk next to the bike.

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 17 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 8:39 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well, if it all works out, there is a guy on his way to my house to deliver a 6 x 12 enclosed trailer with ramp door and heavy duty axle with brakes. All for $1200. The first trailer had a barn door and was not as heavy duty.
This one will not require a ramp, its built in and is longer. It has some cosmetic flaws, but nothing I can't fix. I am very excited.
This is the trailer that will haul my LT and other junk to Biloxi.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #5 of 17 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 10:50 pm Thread Starter

Garage

WAHOOO!!!!! It arrived, My new trailer is here. It a 2002 Interstate 6 x 12 with a 5200lb GVWR. It was a mobile show room so it has real nice wood panels inside, carpet on the floor and a full length skylight. It has a small dent/rip in a forward panel that I will need to repair, but for $1200 I am really excited.
johnbaker15 and Leboyd like this.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #6 of 17 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 11:22 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
WAHOOO!!!!! It arrived, My new trailer is here. It a 2002 Interstate 6 x 12 with a 5200lb GVWR. It was a mobile show room so it has real nice wood panels inside, carpet on the floor and a full length skylight. It has a small dent/rip in a forward panel that I will need to repair, but for $1200 I am really excited.
Sounds like you scored a hell of a deal. Congrats!

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #7 of 17 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 4:31 am

Quote:
You will love the trailer with the ramp. I have a 5' X 10' enclosed trailer with a ramp door. It was purchased new and is set up for hauling a bike. I can drive the bike up the ramp and back it down without trouble, just go slow and take your time. Make sure when you back it out the bike is running so you have good brakes. We use it to haul the bike to far away riding vacation destinations because of my back I can't ride very long distances. What is nice is it keeps the bike clean and gives you a portable garage so if you are away on vacation with the bike you can put it safely away overnight and if it rains one day you can park the trailer and bike at your motel and chain it to a light pole and use the truck to site see, works out great. I also park the bike in it over the winter and run a cord to hook up the battery tender and it works great as it gets the bike out of the garage and protects it from getting bumps and bruises.

It is very important to get heavy duty straps as the heavy bitch will break the smaller ones. Also strap the back of the bike down too. (See posts here on proper trailering the LT)

Good Luck
post #8 of 17 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 9:51 am Thread Starter

Garage

Well that is basically my plan. The Air Force is sending me away for a year and I need to take the bike and all my stuff to live for the time I am gone. The trailer will work not only as a way to get the bike there, but also as a Garage to store my bike in at night to keep it from damage and from theft. It will also give me a place to work on it if needed, change the oil, etc.
I am now looking into strong wheel chocks, straps, and floor tie downs. I don't want anything to happen to the bike on the 2700 mile trip.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #9 of 17 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 11:28 am

I got a nice wheel chock from discount ramps. It has a ride in tire locking feature to at a reasonable $$.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #10 of 17 Old Jan 24th, 2015, 10:34 pm Thread Starter

Garage

So, here it is. It was too late last night to take pictures. I did have some cleaning to do and it came with some stickers from the business that owned it, so I removed those. I still have some cleaning to do, but for what I paid, I am very happy.

johnbaker15, 3Putt and JNW003 like this.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #11 of 17 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 7:57 am

I probably don't need to mention this but...I would pull the wheel bearings and inspect the brakes and repack the bearings and change the inner seals. The trailer looks great and should serve your purposes well.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #12 of 17 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 9:49 am

I'm so jealous.
post #13 of 17 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 10:08 am Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
I probably don't need to mention this but...I would pull the wheel bearings and inspect the brakes and repack the bearings and change the inner seals. The trailer looks great and should serve your purposes well.

Robert
Lucky for me I was able to get this 6 months before I need to leave, so I have lots of time to check everything over real well before I need to leave. I will take the wheels and all off and inspect everything, replace or fix lights, add some interior lights, floor tie-downs, wheel chock, etc.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #14 of 17 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 11:29 am

I'll add; Check the tire AGE as well as condition. If you doubt, change them out. Anytime you are trusting a single axle trailer......... Have and carry a spare and the tools.

Looks nice! I am suitably jealous also.
I missed a really nice super light enclosed MC trailer with bit of rear damage on CL $500 by about 10 minutes. Would have been perfect behind the Prius wagon.
oldmopars likes this.
post #15 of 17 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 2:23 pm

Quote:
Well that is basically my plan. The Air Force is sending me away for a year and I need to take the bike and all my stuff to live for the time I am gone. The trailer will work not only as a way to get the bike there, but also as a Garage to store my bike in at night to keep it from damage and from theft. It will also give me a place to work on it if needed, change the oil, etc.
I am now looking into strong wheel chocks, straps, and floor tie downs. I don't want anything to happen to the bike on the 2700 mile trip.
The trailer looks similar to mine, good find. Here is some advice, when you install the tie downs, make sure you use through bolts into the steel floor framing. The wood floor deck by itself is not strong enough and the tie downs will pull out in severe towing conditions. Also check on the thickness and condition of the plywood flooring. Take a look underneath for rot because depending on the age and type of material used on the floor the weight of the heavy beast cinched down and then hitting bumps can cause the floor to fail. I bought 2' wide 3/16" aluminum diamond plate at Home Depot and fastened that in the middle of the floor the full length of the trailer. Then for winter storage of the bike I can put the bike on the center stand without worrying about damage to the flooring.

Good luck with it.
post #16 of 17 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 8:25 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
The trailer looks similar to mine, good find. Here is some advice, when you install the tie downs, make sure you use through bolts into the steel floor framing. The wood floor deck by itself is not strong enough and the tie downs will pull out in severe towing conditions. Also check on the thickness and condition of the plywood flooring. Take a look underneath for rot because depending on the age and type of material used on the floor the weight of the heavy beast cinched down and then hitting bumps can cause the floor to fail. I bought 2' wide 3/16" aluminum diamond plate at Home Depot and fastened that in the middle of the floor the full length of the trailer. Then for winter storage of the bike I can put the bike on the center stand without worrying about damage to the flooring.

Good luck with it.
I have been thinking about this too. I was thinking about getting a 3in by 1/4 or 3/8 steel to run side to side under the trailer and bolt my tie-downs into that. I will be going 2700 miles each way and do not want anything to happen to my bike. I am also looking into strong cargo straps and a good chock that locks the tire in. Good thing I still have 6 months to get it all figured out.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #17 of 17 Old Jan 25th, 2015, 9:51 pm

Kinda off-topic, since you got a ramp door, but I'm tossing it out here as a tidbit for anyone who thinks of putting an LT in a trailer with a ramp...

Something I discovered while it was on the ramp most of the way on the trailer: YOU CAN'T SEE THE WHEELS when walking next to it. So you have no idea if it is happy on the ramp or about to slide off either side.

Moral: don't use a 2x12 as a ramp. At that point, I decided that LTs should PULL trailers, not ride on 'em.

(Good news: no harm done to Wolfie (my LT), me or the trailer, but it was darned scary for a few minutes there.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in