Best GA to FL roads! - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By iphilme
  • 1 Post By Lynn_Keen
  • 1 Post By DanDiver

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2015, 1:00 pm Thread Starter

Question Best GA to FL roads!

I am wanting to find out what would be the best no highway roads to travel from Villarica Ga to West Palm Beach FL. I have 5 days to travel and am interested in scenic area and safe motorcycle friendly roads. Google maps has suggested to travel Hwy 441 as the majority. Sygic GPS has routed me starting out on 19 and then to 27 in lower GA. then routes me through lower FL to 441. I will be thankful for any tips and or suggestions that you may have from personal experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2015, 6:45 pm

I would get to Jacksonville and take a1a all the way the best route on the east cost of FLA the trip could take 12 hrs but it's worth it
2003BMWK1200LT likes this.
post #3 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2015, 6:50 pm Thread Starter

Re: Best GA to FL roads!

Hey Thanks so much! that will help me a lot. I will use Jacksonville as the first waypoint and then take A1-A.

post #4 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2015, 6:54 pm

Hey I'm sorry I didn't see your whole message 441 goes thourgh Orlando keep heading east and you can still get to coco beach and pick up A1A and head south or if your on the west cost the trip down is 19 is not to bad take brooksville I can't rember the hwy but it's very in changed and it will take you to the east cost
post #5 of 11 Old Jan 20th, 2015, 6:59 pm

I have over 20 yrs traveling Florida looking for old back roads
post #6 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2015, 8:28 am Thread Starter

Man I sure apreciate your input! Florida is a great place for roads if you know where the best ones are.
post #7 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2015, 9:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2003BMWK1200LT View Post
I am wanting to find out what would be the best no highway roads to travel from Villarica Ga to West Palm Beach FL. I have 5 days to travel and am interested in scenic area and safe motorcycle friendly roads. Google maps has suggested to travel Hwy 441 as the majority. Sygic GPS has routed me starting out on 19 and then to 27 in lower GA. then routes me through lower FL to 441. I will be thankful for any tips and or suggestions that you may have from personal experience.
There are some scenic areas on both the east and west coasts of Florida and even some hilly areas north of Orlando. However, if you haven't traveled here be prepared for FLAT and STRAIGHT! Anyway, from your starting point I would suggest heading south to US 19. At Crystal River, FL take 44 east to 441south near Leesburg and then pick up 46 east across the state to US1. US1 south to one of the several bridges across the Indian river to A1A. For example Rt 520 at Cocoa. Follow A1A south along the coast to your destination.
bdavis1 likes this.

Lynn Keen
North East Florida
MSF #28271 Retired
'99 Canyon Red RETIRED AT 93,000 MI
'05 GRAPHITE METALLIC retired at 87,000 MI
'01 R1150 GS- totaled
'02 R1150 GS sold
'85 K100/EML sidecar sold
'11 R1200RT currently being enjoyed

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2015, 8:43 pm

+1 on A1-A. Beautiful laid back riding off of the tourist path. Good luck on your trip.
post #9 of 11 Old Jan 21st, 2015, 9:29 pm

Growing up in WV, and getting my first bike at 16, I was spoiled. I never miss an opportunity to get back and ride.... that being said, and having lived in FLATlorida since the mid 70's, the best part of riding in FL is crossing the FL/GA state line, heading north...

The riding in Fl is OK as long as you stay off of the interstate, but that is the best way to make time because of a lot of the inter and surrounding city traffic.

Getting out into rural Florida can be fun, especially north of Tampa throughout Ocala and the surrounding country. The west coast is more laid back than the east coast where everyone seems to be in a hurry. This is the best time to ride in Florida. Through May or so, the weather is ideal and it starts in October. Summer time it's hot and wet, every day, but that helps to clean the bugs off of your windshield...
Patric likes this.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #10 of 11 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 12:10 am Thread Starter

Hey thanks so much to all of you. I hope this can serve to help many others looking for great roads in Georgia and Florida.
post #11 of 11 Old Jan 23rd, 2015, 9:00 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn_Keen View Post
For example Rt 520 at Cocoa. Follow A1A south along the coast to your destination.
From I-95 or US1, take 520 east through Cocoa, then cross the bridge over the Indian River onto Merritt Island. Turn right at the first light which is Tropical Trail. Just follow TT till the end. Trust me, at first you will think you've taken a wrong turn and be tempted to turn around. Just go through the intersection with the stop sign, then around the left and right curves posted at 15 mph. The homes and views asking Tropi al Trail are with your while.

You will see how we live life here on the island. In five miles you'll come to a tee in the road, turn right. The road retains the Tropical Trail name from here south. The next 8 or 9 miles are a joy to behold, passing under Pineada Causeway and continuing south as the island narrows. By the time you reach Mathers bridge, you'll have seen how the other half lives: at that end of the island the houses have the sun rise over water in their back yard and the sun set over water in the front. The road crosses Mathers Bridge, a little drawbridge nestled among the boats in the yacht club. You are now heading east. Continue east a mile and a half to A1A. Turn right and enjoy the many miles of undeveloped beachfront among with the condos.

Thank me later!

-Richard S.
2000 K1200LT Champagne
2004 R1150RT Silver

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in