BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

RPM Shifting Points

8K views 45 replies 27 participants last post by  UncleRock 
#1 ·
Most likely picking up my new LT next week. Have the 600 mile break in period ahead of me.

Question: Could someone post an rpm shifting point guidline? I realize this can be different based upon riding styles, but I'm looking for some ballpark parameters.

For instance:
1st to 2nd gear at 2000 rpm.
2nd to 3rd gear at 3000, etc.

That information will be helpful to me, as I move from a HD rpm/shifting background.

Thank you.

#2 ·
3,200-3,400 is pretty comfortable for me.

Getting used to ABS takes finding a nice straight road, with little traffic and STANDING on the brakes past the point your gut tells you is safe.

Ask the dealer to show you how to pick up the LT if you drop it.

Bob

#3 ·
stefeb said:
Most likely picking up my new LT next week. Have the 600 mile break in period ahead of me.

Question: Could someone post an rpm shifting point guidline? I realize this can be different based upon riding styles, but I'm looking for some ballpark parameters.

For instance:
1st to 2nd gear at 2000 rpm.
2nd to 3rd gear at 3000, etc.

That information will be helpful to me, as I move from a HD rpm/shifting background.

Thank you.
There is no specific gear to RPM shift point that is best. However, your stated RPMs are what someone coming from a big V-Twin would think. You have to completely un-learn those low RPM levels to get a happy LT!

AFTER you get past the first 600 miles, work on learning how to make the fat lady sing! The K engine just starts getting happy around 4,000 RPM, and the best range to keep it in is 3500-7500. Below 3000 is really only good for cruising in fuel saving mode. If you have to accellerate quickly for any reason you really need it to be above 3500.

In the twisties when having fun, keep it between 3500 and 7500 and you will enjoy the performance available to you. Accellerating from below 3000 is not only sluggish in comparison, it is not good on the engine. The crank bearing journals on the LT are much smaller than on big V-twin engines, so the hydrodynamic oil "wedging" force on the oil film is low due to the low surface speed. Crank and rod bearings depend on surface speed to develop the oil film hydrodynamic pressure to withstand the piston loading under high throttle. Slow RPM reduces the oil film pressure, and that is why "lugging" the engine is bad. Hard accelleration at low RPM can bring the bearing into near contact with the crank journals, such that any particulate matter in the oil can start bearing scoring. Worst case the bearing actually comes into contact with the crank journal. Engines with much larger bearing journals can run at respectively lower RPM and still have enough bearing surface speed.

Many of us shift at 3000-3500, but it is DOWN shift! :D

After you get comfortable with the bike, and past the 600 mile and first oil change, go out and experiment with this, and you will find pretty quickly that you should not run this engine like you are used to riding the Harley. Test accellerating from different speeds in different gears at different RPMs, and you will see how much quicker you can move out if the starting RPM is above 3500. Be careful though, the first time you wind it out to 7000 or so in first gear and hit second hard it may scare you! You will have never felt that with the Harley. :D :D

#5 ·
Rev 'er up!

Don't look for the "grunt" you had with the HD at low rpms.... as David states, ya gotta get up around the 3k range to make it work for ya. At first it will seem difficult, even abusive and unnatural to do.. but after a day you won't want to run anywhere else.

Now, leaving from a stop, of course you would want to accellerate smoothly.. use the clutch for that.. steady speed.. no need to "blip" the throttle like on HD... but try to not "roll on" too hard.. let the bike speed build comfortably.. you'll "know" it when you feel it. I don't get out of 3rd in my neighborhood (30mph). Also, running the higher rev's won't wake up the city... dogs don't even bark when I start and leave...

I almost never get above 4th when "in town".(45 and slower).. sometimes I find myself goint to 5th and then back to 4th to stay in the power band. I find I sacrifice about 2-3MPG doing this and the downturn of the exhaust doesn't seem to carbon up as bad.. it sure is nice to be "in the band" when trouble pops up.. just "roll on".. =)

finally, I think the motor will actually last LONGER if you keep the revs up..

#6 · (Edited)
stefeb said:

Howdy Stefab,

I concur with what everyone has said so far, especially the detail of Dave Shealey's write up, however would add this;

Keep in mind that you'll feel a "buzz" in the RPM range around 4500. Then think of riding the LT in 2 modes, leisurely and spirited.

Leisure mode: "Up-shift" at the start of the "buzz".
Spirited mode: "Down-shift" at the start of the "buzz".

In spirited mode, don't "freak out" if you happen to hit the rev limiter. You'll know when it happens and it'll help you get the feel of the max rpm. Besides, it's more important to keep your eyes on the road than to be looking at the tach. Things happen in a hurry when the LT is wound up, even in third gear.

Check out my movie clip in the gallery and listen to rpms.....beautiful music :yeah:

#7 ·
BillyOmaha said:
Howdy Stefab,
----------------In spirited mode, don't "freak out" if you happen to hit the rev limiter. You'll know when it happens and it'll help you get the feel of the max rpm. Besides, it's more important to keep your eyes on the road than to be looking at the tach. Things happen in a hurry when the LT is wound up, even in third gear.-------
Boy are those true words! First time I hit the limiter it scared me, thought I had broken something. It is VERY easy to do though, because unlike the Harley, the LT does not start "breathing hard" when you are near the redline, and is still pulling like hell. No good warning that you are approaching the limiter at all. Once you get the knack of knowing you are in that area without looking at the tach, it is a blast.

Reminds me of a local BSA shop in South Carolina when I first started riding. I was working on my bike and buying parts, looking at some scrambler racers they had in their shop. They had removed all the guts from the tachs, and had put little signs in them that said: "Shift when your ears itch". :D

#9 ·
BillyOmaha said:
Howdy Stefab,

I concur with what everyone has said so far, especially the detail of Dave Shealey's write up, however would add this;

Keep in mind that you'll feel a "buzz" in the RPM range around 4500. Then think of riding the LT in 2 modes, leisurely and spirited.

Leisure mode: "Up-shift" at the start of the "buzz".
Spirited mode: "Down-shift" at the start of the "buzz".

In spirited mode, don't "freak out" if you happen to hit the rev limiter. You'll know when it happens and it'll help you get the feel of the max rpm. Besides, it's more important to keep your eyes on the road than to be looking at the tach. Things happen in a hurry when the LT is wound up, even in third gear.

Check out my movie clip in the gallery and listen to rpms.....beautiful music :yeah:

This is about right for me too, and if she loaded up for a trip then you have to keep the revs up a bit more. I rev it about the same as my Sprint, maybe a little harder. :bmw: You have to ride more like a sport bike than a cruiser, but if you are just cruising along at 85mph, she loves 5th gear.

G
#10 ·
David is dead on the money. I spent quite a bit of time shifting and running at 3-3.5K when I switched from a HD. I now run at about 4K and shift at 5.5-6K. The LT is a completely different (and much better) bike above 5K. I don't even use 5th until 85-90mph.

#11 ·
//flame suit on//
I guess I'll be the contrarian here, but my LT has never seen 5000 rpms. I just can't see myself riding around with a screaming engine under me. What would I get out of that? I like to tour, which to me means a nice pleasant, quiet ride. You shouldn't lag the engine, but I see no reason to ride it in the 4000-5000 or higher range either. Ignore the tachometer and shift when it feels right. 32,000 miles with virtually no problems. She runs better and better with each ride. Just my .02. I'm SURE others will have a different opinion. Remember, it's your ride.

#12 ·
Get to know your bike - shifts below 3.5K are too low. This bike has very little torque below 3K. In the parking lot you will need to feather the clutch way more than you ever did on your HD.

3.5-5K and she scoots pretty good but when passing in situations where you need to get around quick you need to be > 5K rpms. This motor really comes on at 5K rpms and pulls all the way to the rev limiter. It still puts a huge grin on my face when I "wake the sleeping giant".

I am still not use to the sound of a 4 cylinder motor (my other bikes are all twins), occasionaly I find myself trying to upshift when I am crusing at 70mph 'cause of the sound of the "extra" 2 cylinders.

Dave

#13 ·
Sefeb,, Welcome to the family,,,,

First think as has been already said,, forget about your Harley mind set..
And do not listen to ANYBODY who tells you not to rev to high...

This motor doesn't come on its cams until above 5krpm... This motor was designed to be ran for hours above 5,000 rpm. Other than taking off from a stop
any continual running (especially in town) below 2500rpm is stressing the motor... Honda goldwings and Harleys can run low rpm, the LT has a motor out of a Super Sport bike in a touring frame.. Once you get adjusted to the sound the motor makes, you will be fine...
The motto around here seems to be " Ride it like you stole it!!".............Regards Pete

#15 ·
You mean shifting at 8K in every gear is not good? Oh no I will have to change my driving habits. Maybe I'll have to change slowly, start at 7K then 6K....kind of like quiting smoking, or some other bad habit! I was having fun too. Dang
Are you sure about this? My only problem is it will only go to 6.5K in fith gear.
I was wanting to ask how to change that.
oh well

#16 ·
Once again, thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions. I'm sure most of my questions will see real life answers in the riding of the bike, but it's good to have a base of knowledge to build on.

Looking forward to picking my baby (from the dealer, not the ground) up next week, and then going in the for 600 mile service the day after I pick it up ;).

Thanks again. I'll be posting one more question shortly, well maybe two, or three, maybe even...

#18 ·
cfell said:
Schedule your 600 mile NOW!!!!!!!
Best advice yet - local dealers schedules are out 2-3 weeks.

Dave

#19 ·
You can ride the way you want to ride. I will ride the way I want to ride. I shift at between 3000-3500 rpms and like it that way. My kids like and feel comfortable.

I don't believe there is any hard and fast rule that says when you should shift. You guys want to shift at 6K every shift, be my guest.

I've been riding for 30 years and have never had a problem not reving the engine unless I need to.

#20 ·
rglassma said:
You can ride the way you want to ride. I will ride the way I want to ride. I shift at between 3000-3500 rpms and like it that way. My kids like and feel comfortable.

I don't believe there is any hard and fast rule that says when you should shift. You guys want to shift at 6K every shift, be my guest.

I've been riding for 30 years and have never had a problem not reving the engine unless I need to.
No one is saying you HAVE to shift at higher RPM. If you like cruising around all the time at low power, that is just fine. We all ride differently. Most of us like the performance of the LT though, and you cannot get that below 3500, where the engine performance is just starting to kick in, really does not get good until around 4000, then pulls like a scalded ape up to red line.

If you need full power for a quick accelleration though, full throttle at below 3000 is NOT good on the engine. If I were to be offered two identical LTs to buy, one that has been ridden as you describe, and one that has been ridden mostly above 3000, I would buy the latter.

#21 ·
It took time to get used to the higher shifting points on the LT. It really gets fun if you get the rev's up. I don't pay a lot of attention to the rpm's anymore, I guess I use the "Buzz" method too. I used to work on a funny car and I asked the driver a similar question - "when do you know it's time to shift"? He told me he shifted when it vibrated so bad he couldn't see anymore......

#23 ·
NM99K12LT said:
FWIW - the HP and torque curves of the LT intersect at approx. 5200rpm. Many consider this intersection the "sweet spot" for shifting.
You cannot use that method, as EVERY torque/horsepower curve on any engine intersects at 5252. That is driven by mathematics. On large engines that cannot get to 5252 RPM the curves willl never intersect.

Typically if really interested in the maximum performance you would pick a shift point on the horsepower curve that brings the rpm back to a point approx. equal to the shift point in the next gear. That will normally be just a little way down the horsepower curve after peak. That is for absolutely maximum performance though, not something the average rider is trying to do.

G
#24 ·
Wow

I am lucky to have an engine with this coincidence then - had a "knowledgeable" person tell me this in high school when I was first tinkering with MOPARs. Thanks for the engineering lesson - knew I should have been a ME instead of majoring in Geology.:)

#26 ·
I initially had rough shifting when I first started riding my 02 LT and asked a BMW service manager at a rally tech session about it. Before he could answer another rider standing there said, RPOI. When I asked what that meant he said, "Rev the Piss Out of It" After that no problems I generally shift about 4000 rpm and it's as smooth as a baby's behind. I think of that little bit of advice when I'm tempted to treat my LT too gingerly. I was also told that carbon buildup can be an issue if under revving is a common practise.

Avonfloater
02LT

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.