RPM Shifting Points - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:53 am Thread Starter

RPM Shifting Points

Most likely picking up my new LT next week. Have the 600 mile break in period ahead of me.

Question: Could someone post an rpm shifting point guidline? I realize this can be different based upon riding styles, but I'm looking for some ballpark parameters.

For instance:
1st to 2nd gear at 2000 rpm.
2nd to 3rd gear at 3000, etc.

That information will be helpful to me, as I move from a HD rpm/shifting background.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:38 pm

3,200-3,400 is pretty comfortable for me.

Getting used to ABS takes finding a nice straight road, with little traffic and STANDING on the brakes past the point your gut tells you is safe.

Ask the dealer to show you how to pick up the LT if you drop it.

Bob
post #3 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:55 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb
Most likely picking up my new LT next week. Have the 600 mile break in period ahead of me.

Question: Could someone post an rpm shifting point guidline? I realize this can be different based upon riding styles, but I'm looking for some ballpark parameters.

For instance:

That information will be helpful to me, as I move from a HD rpm/shifting background.

Thank you.
There is no specific gear to RPM shift point that is best. However, your stated RPMs are what someone coming from a big V-Twin would think. You have to completely un-learn those low RPM levels to get a happy LT!

AFTER you get past the first 600 miles, work on learning how to make the fat lady sing! The K engine just starts getting happy around 4,000 RPM, and the best range to keep it in is 3500-7500. Below 3000 is really only good for cruising in fuel saving mode. If you have to accellerate quickly for any reason you really need it to be above 3500.

In the twisties when having fun, keep it between 3500 and 7500 and you will enjoy the performance available to you. Accellerating from below 3000 is not only sluggish in comparison, it is not good on the engine. The crank bearing journals on the LT are much smaller than on big V-twin engines, so the hydrodynamic oil "wedging" force on the oil film is low due to the low surface speed. Crank and rod bearings depend on surface speed to develop the oil film hydrodynamic pressure to withstand the piston loading under high throttle. Slow RPM reduces the oil film pressure, and that is why "lugging" the engine is bad. Hard accelleration at low RPM can bring the bearing into near contact with the crank journals, such that any particulate matter in the oil can start bearing scoring. Worst case the bearing actually comes into contact with the crank journal. Engines with much larger bearing journals can run at respectively lower RPM and still have enough bearing surface speed.

Many of us shift at 3000-3500, but it is DOWN shift!

After you get comfortable with the bike, and past the 600 mile and first oil change, go out and experiment with this, and you will find pretty quickly that you should not run this engine like you are used to riding the Harley. Test accellerating from different speeds in different gears at different RPMs, and you will see how much quicker you can move out if the starting RPM is above 3500. Be careful though, the first time you wind it out to 7000 or so in first gear and hit second hard it may scare you! You will have never felt that with the Harley.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 2:06 pm

3500 and above............................................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 2:23 pm

Rev 'er up!

Don't look for the "grunt" you had with the HD at low rpms.... as David states, ya gotta get up around the 3k range to make it work for ya. At first it will seem difficult, even abusive and unnatural to do.. but after a day you won't want to run anywhere else.

Now, leaving from a stop, of course you would want to accellerate smoothly.. use the clutch for that.. steady speed.. no need to "blip" the throttle like on HD... but try to not "roll on" too hard.. let the bike speed build comfortably.. you'll "know" it when you feel it. I don't get out of 3rd in my neighborhood (30mph). Also, running the higher rev's won't wake up the city... dogs don't even bark when I start and leave...

I almost never get above 4th when "in town".(45 and slower).. sometimes I find myself goint to 5th and then back to 4th to stay in the power band. I find I sacrifice about 2-3MPG doing this and the downturn of the exhaust doesn't seem to carbon up as bad.. it sure is nice to be "in the band" when trouble pops up.. just "roll on".. =)

finally, I think the motor will actually last LONGER if you keep the revs up..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 4:30 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:

Howdy Stefab,

I concur with what everyone has said so far, especially the detail of Dave Shealey's write up, however would add this;

Keep in mind that you'll feel a "buzz" in the RPM range around 4500. Then think of riding the LT in 2 modes, leisurely and spirited.

Leisure mode: "Up-shift" at the start of the "buzz".
Spirited mode: "Down-shift" at the start of the "buzz".

In spirited mode, don't "freak out" if you happen to hit the rev limiter. You'll know when it happens and it'll help you get the feel of the max rpm. Besides, it's more important to keep your eyes on the road than to be looking at the tach. Things happen in a hurry when the LT is wound up, even in third gear.

Check out my movie clip in the gallery and listen to rpms.....beautiful music

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

Last edited by BillyOmaha; Jul 28th, 2006 at 4:37 pm.
post #7 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Stefab,
----------------In spirited mode, don't "freak out" if you happen to hit the rev limiter. You'll know when it happens and it'll help you get the feel of the max rpm. Besides, it's more important to keep your eyes on the road than to be looking at the tach. Things happen in a hurry when the LT is wound up, even in third gear.-------
Boy are those true words! First time I hit the limiter it scared me, thought I had broken something. It is VERY easy to do though, because unlike the Harley, the LT does not start "breathing hard" when you are near the redline, and is still pulling like hell. No good warning that you are approaching the limiter at all. Once you get the knack of knowing you are in that area without looking at the tach, it is a blast.

Reminds me of a local BSA shop in South Carolina when I first started riding. I was working on my bike and buying parts, looking at some scrambler racers they had in their shop. They had removed all the guts from the tachs, and had put little signs in them that said: "Shift when your ears itch".

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #8 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 5:43 pm

And we wonder why these bikes are hard on tires?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #9 of 46 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 6:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyOmaha
Howdy Stefab,

I concur with what everyone has said so far, especially the detail of Dave Shealey's write up, however would add this;

Keep in mind that you'll feel a "buzz" in the RPM range around 4500. Then think of riding the LT in 2 modes, leisurely and spirited.

Leisure mode: "Up-shift" at the start of the "buzz".
Spirited mode: "Down-shift" at the start of the "buzz".

In spirited mode, don't "freak out" if you happen to hit the rev limiter. You'll know when it happens and it'll help you get the feel of the max rpm. Besides, it's more important to keep your eyes on the road than to be looking at the tach. Things happen in a hurry when the LT is wound up, even in third gear.

Check out my movie clip in the gallery and listen to rpms.....beautiful music

This is about right for me too, and if she loaded up for a trip then you have to keep the revs up a bit more. I rev it about the same as my Sprint, maybe a little harder. You have to ride more like a sport bike than a cruiser, but if you are just cruising along at 85mph, she loves 5th gear.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #10 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:45 am
NM99K12LT

David is dead on the money. I spent quite a bit of time shifting and running at 3-3.5K when I switched from a HD. I now run at about 4K and shift at 5.5-6K. The LT is a completely different (and much better) bike above 5K. I don't even use 5th until 85-90mph.
post #11 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 9:15 am

//flame suit on//
I guess I'll be the contrarian here, but my LT has never seen 5000 rpms. I just can't see myself riding around with a screaming engine under me. What would I get out of that? I like to tour, which to me means a nice pleasant, quiet ride. You shouldn't lag the engine, but I see no reason to ride it in the 4000-5000 or higher range either. Ignore the tachometer and shift when it feels right. 32,000 miles with virtually no problems. She runs better and better with each ride. Just my .02. I'm SURE others will have a different opinion. Remember, it's your ride.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

"Explain it to me once more: WHY do I have to "Press 1 for English"
post #12 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:41 am

Get to know your bike - shifts below 3.5K are too low. This bike has very little torque below 3K. In the parking lot you will need to feather the clutch way more than you ever did on your HD.

3.5-5K and she scoots pretty good but when passing in situations where you need to get around quick you need to be > 5K rpms. This motor really comes on at 5K rpms and pulls all the way to the rev limiter. It still puts a huge grin on my face when I "wake the sleeping giant".

I am still not use to the sound of a 4 cylinder motor (my other bikes are all twins), occasionaly I find myself trying to upshift when I am crusing at 70mph 'cause of the sound of the "extra" 2 cylinders.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #13 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 11:22 am

Sefeb,, Welcome to the family,,,,

First think as has been already said,, forget about your Harley mind set..
And do not listen to ANYBODY who tells you not to rev to high...

This motor doesn't come on its cams until above 5krpm... This motor was designed to be ran for hours above 5,000 rpm. Other than taking off from a stop
any continual running (especially in town) below 2500rpm is stressing the motor... Honda goldwings and Harleys can run low rpm, the LT has a motor out of a Super Sport bike in a touring frame.. Once you get adjusted to the sound the motor makes, you will be fine...
The motto around here seems to be " Ride it like you stole it!!".............Regards Pete
post #14 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:01 pm

Example

post #15 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 12:58 pm

You mean shifting at 8K in every gear is not good? Oh no I will have to change my driving habits. Maybe I'll have to change slowly, start at 7K then 6K....kind of like quiting smoking, or some other bad habit! I was having fun too. Dang
Are you sure about this? My only problem is it will only go to 6.5K in fith gear.
I was wanting to ask how to change that.
oh well

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

post #16 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 3:15 pm Thread Starter

Once again, thanks to all for your thoughts and opinions. I'm sure most of my questions will see real life answers in the riding of the bike, but it's good to have a base of knowledge to build on.

Looking forward to picking my baby (from the dealer, not the ground) up next week, and then going in the for 600 mile service the day after I pick it up .

Thanks again. I'll be posting one more question shortly, well maybe two, or three, maybe even...
post #17 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 3:53 pm

Schedule your 600 mile NOW!!!!!!!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #18 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 4:20 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
Schedule your 600 mile NOW!!!!!!!
Best advice yet - local dealers schedules are out 2-3 weeks.

Dave

BMWMOA #120588
website has been hacked - down for now
Riding since '65 - 30+ bikes (lost count)
Current Stable:
'06 R12GS Adv, '98 Buell, '95 Ultra, '95 Fatboy, '71 Rickman, '53 Panhead
2009-2010 KxxxxLT or whenever BMW updates the platform

post #19 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 4:40 pm

You can ride the way you want to ride. I will ride the way I want to ride. I shift at between 3000-3500 rpms and like it that way. My kids like and feel comfortable.

I don't believe there is any hard and fast rule that says when you should shift. You guys want to shift at 6K every shift, be my guest.

I've been riding for 30 years and have never had a problem not reving the engine unless I need to.
post #20 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rglassma
You can ride the way you want to ride. I will ride the way I want to ride. I shift at between 3000-3500 rpms and like it that way. My kids like and feel comfortable.

I don't believe there is any hard and fast rule that says when you should shift. You guys want to shift at 6K every shift, be my guest.

I've been riding for 30 years and have never had a problem not reving the engine unless I need to.
No one is saying you HAVE to shift at higher RPM. If you like cruising around all the time at low power, that is just fine. We all ride differently. Most of us like the performance of the LT though, and you cannot get that below 3500, where the engine performance is just starting to kick in, really does not get good until around 4000, then pulls like a scalded ape up to red line.

If you need full power for a quick accelleration though, full throttle at below 3000 is NOT good on the engine. If I were to be offered two identical LTs to buy, one that has been ridden as you describe, and one that has been ridden mostly above 3000, I would buy the latter.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #21 of 46 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 10:26 pm

It took time to get used to the higher shifting points on the LT. It really gets fun if you get the rev's up. I don't pay a lot of attention to the rpm's anymore, I guess I use the "Buzz" method too. I used to work on a funny car and I asked the driver a similar question - "when do you know it's time to shift"? He told me he shifted when it vibrated so bad he couldn't see anymore......
post #22 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:00 pm
NM99K12LT

Sweet spot

FWIW - the HP and torque curves of the LT intersect at approx. 5200rpm. Many consider this intersection the "sweet spot" for shifting.
post #23 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:26 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by NM99K12LT
FWIW - the HP and torque curves of the LT intersect at approx. 5200rpm. Many consider this intersection the "sweet spot" for shifting.
You cannot use that method, as EVERY torque/horsepower curve on any engine intersects at 5252. That is driven by mathematics. On large engines that cannot get to 5252 RPM the curves willl never intersect.

Typically if really interested in the maximum performance you would pick a shift point on the horsepower curve that brings the rpm back to a point approx. equal to the shift point in the next gear. That will normally be just a little way down the horsepower curve after peak. That is for absolutely maximum performance though, not something the average rider is trying to do.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #24 of 46 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:35 pm
NM99K12LT

Wow

I am lucky to have an engine with this coincidence then - had a "knowledgeable" person tell me this in high school when I was first tinkering with MOPARs. Thanks for the engineering lesson - knew I should have been a ME instead of majoring in Geology.
post #25 of 46 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 3:04 pm

Just remember your curve is for torque only,,, You calculate horsepower, thats why they always cross at 5252,, its just the formula used to guess at HP...............regards Pete
post #26 of 46 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 3:44 pm

Cool

I initially had rough shifting when I first started riding my 02 LT and asked a BMW service manager at a rally tech session about it. Before he could answer another rider standing there said, RPOI. When I asked what that meant he said, "Rev the Piss Out of It" After that no problems I generally shift about 4000 rpm and it's as smooth as a baby's behind. I think of that little bit of advice when I'm tempted to treat my LT too gingerly. I was also told that carbon buildup can be an issue if under revving is a common practise.

Avonfloater
02LT
post #27 of 46 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 4:31 pm

I too am coming from a v-twin background. So, I am finding it a challenge to convert my thinking. However, it is a challenge that I look forward to!

AJ
2013 K1600GTL (not yet named)

post #28 of 46 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:46 pm
was

You guys have ruined me. Although I knew about the "keep it revved up" recommendation for the LT I never really paid it much mind. The only time I hit 6k RPM was when I missed a shift to another gear and landed in neutral. I occassionally got to the Land of Buzz (4200 - 4400 on my bike), but didn't like it and stayed below as much as possible. And I was very happy tooling around, shifting at about 3500.

After reading the posts here I started experimenting with higher revs. I rarely get out of 2nd in town, I'm spending more time in 3rd and 4th on the highway if there is any traffic, I'm downshifting earlier than I used to - and it's a whole different ride. I know, I know, this is what you've been saying all along, I'm a slow learner. But damn, the bike jumps when I roll on in 3rd at 5000. My new mantra - keep it on the UP side of the Land of Buzz for anything other than a leisurely stroll.

BTW, earphones and loud music help in the beginning so you don't hear so much K-whine.

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #29 of 46 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 9:51 pm

Quote:

For instance:

Thank you.
6000 rpms is a good start .... All gears.
post #30 of 46 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 10:12 pm Thread Starter

Man, I can't wait to pick up my bike. Should only be a couple of days till I get my baby.

Anyone know if there is a rev limit during the 600 mile break in period, and what the break in period limits are in general?
post #31 of 46 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:29 pm

Quote:
Man, I can't wait to pick up my bike. Should only be a couple of days till I get my baby.

Anyone know if there is a rev limit during the 600 mile break in period, and what the break in period limits are in general?
Yes, BMW says not to exceed 4000 RPM until the 600 mile service and oil change. Some have paid little attention to that, but it is for every one to decide. I believe in the Full throttle, lower RPM a lot for the first hundred miles or so, such as pulling up a steep hill in high gear from 3000-4500, back it off and let it cool a little and repeat. Lycoming and Continental specify their aircraft engines not be run under 75% power for the first 25 hours. The reason is that high combustion pressure pushes the combustion ring out hard against the cylinder, as it needs to be for proper burnishing in.

For other reasons I do not like full throttle under 3000 RPM at any time, even after break in. I almost always down shifted at around 3000-3500.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
post #32 of 46 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:35 pm

Quote:

For instance:

Thank you.
you must have been riding hd's like I had

normal shifting for me is usually around 3500-4500 rpm just taking it really easy

I have shifted her just before redline once or twice (ok maybe 3 times)

trying to catch some numbskull on a GT I hit the rev limiter ONCE in a curve, screw that!! it darn sure woke me up!
Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #33 of 46 Old Jul 31st, 2006, 11:50 pm

Quote:
Cigars and/or lollypops for the bmwlt.com gang??? Love to see the sign on the front door or in the yard the day you bring your baby home. It's a...K1200LT??? Send pics, please.

Sounds like you're busting with excitement and you should be. I picked mine up two months ago today and after some time getting used to the weight, the clutch (used to dirt bikes in my former riding life - less feathering, more popping than needed on the LT) and higher RPM riding, I fell in love. And I've fallen deeper in love with my wife as well as we've begun a new chapter in our lives that we've never experienced before the LT - riding together...This bike is just flat out FUN!

Best of luck and many years of good, safe riding to you!!!

Bob Darkey
post #34 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:30 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkey
Sounds like you're busting with excitement and you should be. I picked mine up two months ago today and after some time getting used to the weight, the clutch (used to dirt bikes in my former riding life - less feathering, more popping than needed on the LT) and higher RPM riding, I fell in love. And I've fallen deeper in love with my wife as well as we've begun a new chapter in our lives that we've never experienced before the LT - riding together...This bike is just flat out FUN!

Best of luck and many years of good, safe riding to you!!!
Yes, I am, and thank you.

Do you think calling the dealer four times an hour to see if my low seat came in (that's why I'm typing instead of riding) is excessive?
post #35 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:54 am

Quote:
Yes, I am, and thank you.

Do you think calling the dealer four times an hour to see if my low seat came in (that's why I'm typing instead of riding) is excessive?
5 times makes it excessive!

<g>

have fun with the ride!

Tom

post #36 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:54 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLBantz
//flame suit on//
I guess I'll be the contrarian here, but my LT has never seen 5000 rpms. I just can't see myself riding around with a screaming engine under me. What would I get out of that? I like to tour, which to me means a nice pleasant, quiet ride. You shouldn't lag the engine, but I see no reason to ride it in the 4000-5000 or higher range either. Ignore the tachometer and shift when it feels right. 32,000 miles with virtually no problems. She runs better and better with each ride. Just my .02. I'm SURE others will have a different opinion. Remember, it's your ride.
Brian, you'll want to "ride your own ride" of course, and that's cool.

I'm probably one of the most sedate riders on this site, but I've been gradually teaching myself to shift at higher RPMs and I have to tell you: Holy cow! I read all the previous threads about shifting higher, yadda yadda yadda, but continued to shift the LT like I was driving my VW diesel -- relatively low RPMs (3k). It is quieter and calmer at those shift points, and my wife prefers the more sedate riding style. But by myself? More and more I'm shifting (especially in 3rd and 4th gears) at 5k and above. The dang thing makes this really nice growling sound as you pass 5k RPMs and gain tons of torque. I've only seen 6k once or twice.

With the power this thing has at 5k I'm a little afraid to see what might happen at 6k... 7k... and above.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #37 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 12:15 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
//flame suit on//
I guess I'll be the contrarian here, but my LT has never seen 5000 rpms. I just can't see myself riding around with a screaming engine under me. What would I get out of that? .....

Remember, it's your ride.
Howdy Brian,
No flame suit required.

My only concern with your approach is that if you never, or very rarely, run the bike anywhere near it's performance limit, in this case acceleration, then you won't know what is available, or, perhaps, how best to tap into what is available.

I'm not saying that your "style" is wrong. I certainly agree with "ride your own ride". What I am trying to say is that in an emergency situation, say an 18 wheeler behind you on a downgrade that has lost it's brakes, choices will have to be made. Run yourself off the road, try to find for it to fly by, maybe crank it up an stay ahead until you can safely get out of the way.

Having a loaded gun doesn't mean you run have to go around firing it off all the time. But going to the range and practicing sure make one better away from the range in those rare occurences when it's needed.

Gun Range = Track Day

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #38 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 3:21 pm

Hi Bill, and thanks for your thoughtful response.

I was being a little tongue in cheek when I said my bike has never seen 5000 rpms. It has, and I have tested the acceleration, etc. My point was that in my everyday riding I don't see the need to ride that way. As some have said, it may be important to rev-it during the break-in period, to learn the limits of the bike etc., however if I am to maintain 4000-5000 rpms most of the time, I will never get out of 3rd gear and be riding around my hometown in first gear all of the time. My bike does 85MPH at 4000 rpms in 5th gear. If I am to keep the bike between 5000 and 6000 rpms I will either never hit fifth gear or be going 100 mph all of the time! As I said, ride your own ride, and I am not criticizing anyone who wants to ride that way. It's just not for me.

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

post #39 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 5:03 pm

Quote:
Hi Bill, and thanks for your thoughtful response.
My bike does 85MPH at 4000 rpms in 5th gear. If I am to
what bike do you have that runs 85 mph at 4000 rpm?

Tom

post #40 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 5:15 pm

If you bike is broken in it doesn't matter what RPM you use. I plunk around sometimes between 2 to 2.5K in 4th or 5th then hit redline for the heck of it. As long as you are not lugging the motor the LT is fine.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #41 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 5:23 pm

I have an 05 that runs between 83 to 86 miles per hour at 4000 rpm in fifth gear. Side note: it has a Remus Exhaust system w/titanium cannister, K&N air filter, NGK Iridium sparkplugs and I run nothing but premium fuel.

May we never find the end of the road

Perry Ridgway

oknplm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
what bike do you have that runs 85 mph at 4000 rpm?
post #42 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 7:59 pm

It's a K1200LT. I have ridden it 32,000 miles in two years with very few problems. There are different ideas on how to ride it. I am just trying to contribute to the conversation. You?

Brian
Fanwood, NJ
2003 K1200LT Anthracite

post #43 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 8:39 pm

One minor point to add regarding running at higher rev's, you may have adjust valves a little more frequently. As I understand it, it certainly won't hurt anything, but service intervals should be adhered to more religiously.

To me it is worth it, but I did end up with all eight intake valves tight. Not a big deal, but it did surprise me a bit.

Dale White

"The shortest distance between two points is often unbearable."
— Charles Bukowski
post #44 of 46 Old Aug 1st, 2006, 11:51 pm

I ran near redline alot. Never needed to adjust valves in 137,000 miles on my 2000 LT. I always ran synthetic oil.
post #45 of 46 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 12:47 am

I never had any issues with valves. I think the LT doesn't start to come alive until 5K. Don't be afraid to make that big pig squeel by making her run in the upper range of the rpms. What David said early in this thread is good advice. BMW's just love to rev.

Darrel
'06 GT - Blue Honu
post #46 of 46 Old Aug 2nd, 2006, 9:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Accellerating from below 3000 is not only sluggish in comparison, it is not good on the engine. The crank bearing journals on the LT are much smaller than on big V-twin engines, so the hydrodynamic oil "wedging" force on the oil film is low due to the low surface speed. Crank and rod bearings depend on surface speed to develop the oil film hydrodynamic pressure to withstand the piston loading under high throttle. Slow RPM reduces the oil film pressure, and that is why "lugging" the engine is bad. Hard accelleration at low RPM can bring the bearing into near contact with the crank journals, such that any particulate matter in the oil can start bearing scoring. Worst case the bearing actually comes into contact with the crank journal. Engines with much larger bearing journals can run at respectively lower RPM and still have enough bearing surface speed.

Test accellerating from different speeds in different gears at different RPMs, and you will see how much quicker you can move out if the starting RPM is above 3500. Be careful though, the first time you wind it out to 7000 or so in first gear and hit second hard it may scare you! You will have never felt that with the Harley.
Just to add to what David is telling you. If you have ever done any serious bottom end work on a HD (Balancing fly wheels) you'll understand tight clearance.
The oil film is about .002 in thickness in it's best working mode. Not much room for slack, so keep the rev's up
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in