Ready to buy a 2006 K1200LT - Question on options - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:10 am Thread Starter

Ready to buy a 2006 K1200LT - Question on options

Hi all - I'm new to this forum

My dealer has found a 2006 K1200LT for me with almost everything I am looking for, except two options. It's missing the GPS mounting kit and the Intercom system.

I really do want both of these options. What exactly does the GPS mounting kit get you and is this something I can do easily with an after market product? Same goes for the Intercom system - am I better off finding a bike that has this factory installed?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:29 am

I bought mine with both the Intercom (BMW Voice II) and the BMW Moterrad GPS pre-installed.

Not only does it save you the time and hassle, but you can deal on it - my dealer gave me the GPS at half price and 30% off the Voice II.

Once you get the bike out the door, deals like that will likely not exist, plus you have to do all the work.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

42 41.663' N / 73 38.651' W

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:52 am

I installed mine after the fact

Just another side to your question..... I bought mine similar to you but purchased and installed and intercom and GPS afterwards. Following the instructions of this boardroom and communicating with it's members taught me a tremendous amount about my bike and added a lot to my knowledge and enjoyment. If you do the same, you will know a lot about your bike and get much more out of it. Both installations are not hard, just time consuming.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:07 pm

2006 with Options?

The BMW GPS mount depends on which GPS you want to use and where you want it mounted. I am mounting a BMW Co-Pilot shelf on my for GPS for several reasons. The BMW OEM Navigator II has been superceded by several Garmin products. The position of the BMW factory mount on the Stingray leaves glare for me and a focus distance issue line of sight alignment. After flying a HUD, look down is distracting for me. I intend to add additional options, radar detector etc. to the Co-pilot shelf. The co-Pilot shelf allow me to use different GPS's and add or remove them with ease. I am mounting several GPS's on interchangable mounts on the Co-pilot shelf. Today I am mounting one of my Garmins and a military gps. I also am then able to easily upgrade the GPS at will , not relying on the factory OEM, so I have more flexibility.

On the Intercom. The BMW OEM has an attractive price Retail from the dealer. I chose to go with a Baehr K1200lt and was amazed how easy to install my self. Had the Intercom working in 15 minutes, helmet modification in 2 hours.

So if they have the bike you want in the color you want, go for it, the Intercom is easily solved, based on your personal preference, your thoughts of one warranty, features of the navigator II and the GPS, in my case it is better served by not going with BMW OEM. GPS is changing at a rapid pace and being locked in to a certain BMW OEM series of mounts, did not appeal to me, although the Naviagtor II is a fine unit yesterday. Today it its a bit dated. BMW has released Navigator III, just not in the US, and it is essentially the off the shelf Garmin 2XXX series with external buttons.

Mirage
post #5 of 10 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 4:36 pm

For sale

Hi Pitons98. I agree better to get factory installed. You might get some different opinions based on skill and dollars available, but factory is the way I went. I just this minute posted my 2006 K1200LT for sale, it has these options and many more. You might want to check it out in the classifieds section. Good luck with your new bike.....

Davidceder
post #6 of 10 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 4:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitons98

My dealer has found a 2006 K1200LT for me with almost everything I am looking for, except two options. It's missing the GPS mounting kit and the Intercom system.

I really do want both of these options. What exactly does the GPS mounting kit get you and is this something I can do easily with an after market product? Same goes for the Intercom system - am I better off finding a bike that has this factory installed?

Thanks
2006LT myself...

1. Never saw a use for the GPS as I always know where I am... I am always somewhere!

2. You riding two up? with other like bike types. Get somew kind of Comm system. If you're not doing either of these things, then leave off till you need it. I have a "pillion princess" as BillyOmaha calls them and needed to be able to talk to like bikes. Mine came equipped.

Ask those questions, you get answers. But just get out there and enjoy the ride!

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #7 of 10 Old Oct 16th, 2006, 6:46 pm

Comm & GPS

My first LT did not have the intercom and I installed a J&M CB for 2 up riding. It worked OK
My 06 LT had the intercom and I installed the BMW CB (made by J&M) and I found the clarity much better.
I opted to install my own GPS and did so without any problems!
post #8 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 2:04 pm

I too purchased a 06 LT without the GPS & intercom... BMW pricing for the BMW GPS was $1300.00 NOT!!! I purchased a Garmin 2610 on line for $450.00 that mounts in place of the BMW GPS (that is built by Garmin) works great. I had the Autocom 7 on my old RT and mounted it on the LT. I am satisfied with the envestment in these items. But it depends on how much a person wants to spend.. Good Luck...

Tom & Donna
2006 BMW K1200LT
Unigo Trailer
Albuquerque, New Mexico

post #9 of 10 Old Oct 18th, 2006, 3:15 pm

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitons98

Thanks
One other item to consider is the BMW warranty on these items. If the Dealer installs it prior to your purchase agreement for the Bike, they are included as part of the 3 year/36 K warranty package. I purchased my LT new with the old BC-2 Comm system and ended up having the dealer replace it with the much improved BC-3 Comm system at no cost.

Just more food for thought.

John

John & Marilyn Fisher
'00 K1200LTC "Katie"
'95 Triumph "Tigger"
'12 Triumph 800XC "Tigger II" (RIP)
'12 Triumph 1200 Explorer "Shadow Tigger"
Hillsboro, Oregon

post #10 of 10 Old Oct 19th, 2006, 4:44 am
IBR# 366

Garage
I had them add the BC-2 to my '99 for free as part of the purchase. When that failed (constant static), BMW told them to pull it and refund my money. There was no ComSystem (BC-3) yet, so they wrote me a check.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in