A few lessens learned today - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 6Likes
  • 5 Post By oldmopars
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 6:59 pm Thread Starter

Garage
A few lessens learned today

Well I stopped by the local BMW dealer to pick up some parts for my up coming clutch change and to dream about a second bike (something ending in GS).
As I was headed to Costco for a few things I was siting at a light and watched a guy on a Suzuki cruiser lock up his rear brake and drop the bike on its side and slide for about 30 feet.
I parked my bike and ran out to help him. He got up and his hand was all bloody. He was wearing fingerless gloves and had badly tore up his index finger. He had ripped the end almost all the way off and was holding it in place. He had on a German army style half helmet that took a good hit, leather vest and nylon sweat pants. Keep in mind it was in the 40's today here in Washington state.
The good news is he will live and with a LOT of stitches he will most likely keep his finger. However, had he been wearing the right kind of gloves, full finger with protection(leather, kevlar, etc.) his finger would not be so bad off.
His bike also had lots of the sharp metal "stud" chrome style grips, levers and mirrors. I think this trapped his hand when he went down.
On his part, he was not really speeding, but was going to fast to stop in time and he wanted to avoid the the red light cameras and he hit the rear brake too hard. No ABS and a skinny front tire caused poor breaking.
His riding gear was not up to the task either.
He put "looking Cool" ahead of safety and is now paying the price for it. His finger will heal (I hope) and his bike can be repaired, I hope he learned a lesson from this, I know I did.
What I learned:
1. I never wear fingerless gloves, but think now I may upgrade my summer gloves to something even better.
2. I am thankful for the great breaks and ABS on my LT
3. I will never wear a stupid half helmet. (I have 2 full and a modular)
4. The right gear is a very good investment.
5. Don't sacrifice safety for "Looking Cool"
6. A ticket from the red light camera would have cost a lot less!
7. My local BMW dealer had everything and was the same price as if I had ordered on-line, even with the 15% discount+shipping. Nice guys too.

Just my opinion from what I observed today, take it or leave it.

ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 7:08 pm

Re: A few lessens learned today

Proof that we all serve as an example to others. Sounds like the guy you described is a fantastic example of "what not to do".

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #3 of 4 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 7:53 pm

Thank you for sharing.

For sure it reinforces the All The Gear All The Time statement.

When people ask me how can stand to ride with full helmet and jacket when it is over 95 degrees, I tell them "Sweat showers off easier than scabs."

post #4 of 4 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoWheels View Post
Thank you for sharing.

For sure it reinforces the All The Gear All The Time statement.

When people ask me how can stand to ride with full helmet and jacket when it is over 95 degrees, I tell them "Sweat showers off easier than scabs."
Great post from Scott (oldmopars). We all need to be reminded once in a while.

I have also used the above expression about "sweat" quite often.
Another of my favorites expression that has become a way of life after I left my pilot civil-instructor career many years ago:
"If you think safety is expensive, try an accident..."
bfree likes this.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in