Service or not? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 6:53 pm Thread Starter

Service or not?

Long time reader and first time writer! I got my 05 LT about 2 years ago with 25k miles on it ( love the bike!!!) and put about 10k miles on it since. Had it in the shop when I bought it first for a full service and inspection. Didn't have any issues for the last 2 years! Now the season is about to start up again and I'm thinking to bring it back for a check up. What do you guys think? Keep in mind I do my own oil change and tires. Is it worth it and what do they do? Thanks in advance! Karl in cincy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 7:07 pm

Garage
Re: Service or not?

If the 25K service was done and you have done the oil changes and tires, I would not think it is needed again for another 15K, at 50,000. However, if it helps you to know that it has been looked over by a pro and you can afford it, it will not hurt.
Personally I would look it over myself, just check everything you can and ride happy. However, I do ALL my own maintenance and never let anyone else touch it. I have been a mechanic for almost 30 years and I am very cheap. Only you know your skills, budget and what will give you peace of mind.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 7:16 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

If it has been two years you are ready for a brake flush. If the valves were OK and none of the exhausts were close to the limit on the last service you should be good and can wait. Don't know if I would wait all the way to 50 K before getting another check. My first set of adjustments happened at my 48 K service and I had to do 4 valves, one valve at the 62 K and one valve at the 76 K.

By the way a regular 12 K usually involves all filters and oils (fuel filter at 24K intervals), valve check and spark plugs. Also a general inspection of everything. Brake flush and valve adjustment are billed out separately.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 7:43 pm

I thought that oil changes were due at 6,000 mile intervals.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 11:33 pm

Garage

Sorry, I forgot about the 12K services, was a busy day and I typed without clearly thinking. Should have looked at the manual first.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #6 of 12 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 11:45 pm

I had to replace two intake buckets as valves were below min clearance. Bike mileage 20K glad I took the time to check. JMTCW

BMWMOA
Never ride faster than your Guardian Angel can fly

2007 K1200LT Storm Grey metallic
Uni Go Trailer
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2015, 8:33 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlanderika View Post
Keep in mind I do my own oil change and tires. Is it worth it and what do they do? Thanks in advance! Karl in cincy
Karl - What shop are you using? If you don't mind wrenching in my view it is better, cheaper and to me more enjoyable to do your own inspections / maintenance. You get to learn your bike and know it was done right. I live across the river from you and currently have the Tupperware off for winter maintenance / fluid changes, O2 sensor and brake lines replacement. This Saturday I plan to check the valve clearance for the 1st time (17k miles). If you want to look over my shoulder as I fumble through it you are welcome to stop by.

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #8 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2015, 2:35 pm

Karl .I'm in a suburb in Cleveland. If you need help let me know. Drop me a PM line

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 15th, 2015, 3:19 pm

+1 on the brake fluid complete control and wheel circuit flush.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2015, 12:22 am Thread Starter

Hey Jim, thank you so much. I'll stop by for sure, can't do it this weekend ( work). I'll contact you. The shop I bring it to is in Blue Ash - Cadre cycle! Super nice guys. Talk to you very soon, thanks again Karl
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 16th, 2015, 1:45 pm

Do you have a garage or shop at home you can work on the bike in? Warren isn't to far for me. I could stop in and give some guidance for some things. Let me know.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #12 of 12 Old Jan 18th, 2015, 9:34 am Thread Starter

Thank you guys for all the help! Thank you James in warren OH. I'll send u a message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in