Bent centerstand - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:08 pm Thread Starter

Bent centerstand

Has anybody ever bent their centerstand. I felt it give a little the other day when I was putting it up and discovered today that it will not stay on the center stand. It wants to roll forward. Not good, only my lighting quick cat reflexes and 295lbs of muscle LOL kept it from going over.

Anybody had any luck removing a center stand and straighting it out and reinstalling one, or do I need to get a new one? $$$$$$
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Centerstand 001.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	5377   Click image for larger version

Name:	Centerstand 002.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	67.6 KB
ID:	5378  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 8:49 pm

I bent my sidestand. Took it to a welding shop and had the guy anneal it with a torch, he then simply bent in back into shape in a vise. $20.00. A little work with a drill mounted rotary wire brush to remove the remaining burned powder coating, followed with several coats of Rustoleum Industrial Enamel. Badabing - good as new!

He told me the key to doing it properly was to raise the temperature of the metal slowly - he said if you did it too fast it can cause it to get brittle?

To make it easy to take the springs off extend the centerstand fully, and jam pennies into each "coil" the length of the springs. Retract the centerstand. Makes it easy to take off and reinstall with just a pair of small vice grips to grab the hook at the end of the spring.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 8:55 pm

I had an issue with mine where the cross bar broke where it attaches to the two legs. It appeared to be weld decay as it broke about 1/8 inch from the welds. It was replaced under warranty.

“Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?”

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Thanks a million Ron, what a great tip with the pennies. That should do the trick. I can only imagine what BMW charges for a new one.$$$$$ This is why this site is great. Great people and machines.
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 8:27 am

Repairing your center stand would certainly be the cheapest way to go. If that is not possible, you might contact one of the companies that do trike conversions and see if they have any of the centerstands lying around that they would sell at low cost.

“Res ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?”

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

post #6 of 7 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 8:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by astuber
Repairing your center stand would certainly be the cheapest way to go. If that is not possible, you might contact one of the companies that do trike conversions and see if they have any of the centerstands lying around that they would sell at low cost.
Good idea. The only company that is currently converting LT's is Hannigan.

The Hannigan's are a great couple (I had the fortune to meet them at Americade). I bet they would be happy to help you out.

http://www.hannigantrikes.com/content/home.html

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #7 of 7 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by amsoilguy
Thanks a million Ron, what a great tip with the pennies. That should do the trick. I can only imagine what BMW charges for a new one.$$$$$ This is why this site is great. Great people and machines.
Yep, you might want to inspect your welds closely. I would strip the powder coating off - I know there is some sort of a dye that you can apply and it will show if they are going to cut loose - I'll bet some of the guys here will know what I am talking about....

You can find used sidestands and centerstands on E-bay frequently from the side car manufacturers. I've seen winning bids typically go for about 25% of new...

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in