Happy New Owner - After 2nd Test Drive - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:09 pm Thread Starter

Happy New Owner - After 2nd Test Drive

Yep, it's me. They guy that gave up the ghost, and decided to stay with his Ultra Classic.

What happened? Glad you asked.

Last night I went for an after dinner ride on my Ultra. I had an old Butt Buffer seat, and decided to throw it on. Went for a ride, and all I could think about was the LT, and how it handled, broke, etc. After riding the LT, my Ultra did seem a bit on the clunky side, but even then, I was resigned to keeping the Ultra.

Then, I came to a stop sign, and noticed my feet were not flat on the ground. The reason, of course, was the Butt Buffer pad. But, I didn't panic, just accepted the fact and rode on. But, that got me to thinking, "Why, wasn't I nervous when my feet were not planted on the ground?" The reason was simple, I knew my bike, knew how it handled, and what it would or would not do in certain situations. Feet not firmly planted, no big deal.

Then, I got to thinking about my ride on the LT. My first test ride on a totally different bike. The only similarities were both bikes had two wheels and used gasoline, and that's were the similarities ended.

Everything on the LT was foreign to me. The sound, the engine, the handlebars, the seat, the foot pegs, shifter, brakess, you name it. I was basically in an alien world, so it isn't surprising that I wasn't 100% sure.

I decided to take another test ride today, and what a world of difference. At least today, I knew where everything was. It wasn't a natural reach, but it was familiar territory. And, today, the bike didn't seem nearly as big. My feet, 95% of the time were planted firmly on the ground, and I was way more confident upon the bike.

One thing I did do was to try several slow riding drills, and they went well. I was going about 2MPH, and had the bike in a rock steady, straight line. It felt good.

Stopping the bike is not something you'd want to take a picture of yet, and starting from a stop is a little jerky (higher rpm needed on the LT), but I don't look like a total novice either. I know both those things will improve with time of the bike.

There's still a lot of driving technique to change, and adapt to, but that will come with miles.

So, here I am, a happy member of the LT family , and new owner of a 2006, Charcoal Grey (I thought it was black) K1200 LT!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:18 pm

Congrats and welcome

Have fun and enjoy the ride.
post #3 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:36 pm

I've met people who claim to have an open mind, but don't see it practiced much. Even if the outcome would have been different, ie stuck with the Ultra, the fact you gave it a 2nd look based on thinking it through is impressive. Welcome to the LT, I predict you'll make a great contribution to the community.

Joel
'02 K1200LTC
"Mauve Mile-Eater"

post #4 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:38 pm

Glad you have given it a second chance.
(Even if you didn't purchase it)

As you stated, the first time on a new bike, is like being in a different world. It is hard to concentrate on what you really like and disklike while you are just trying to figure out where the darn blinkers are !!

Welcome again to the forum, and enjoy the new ride.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #5 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:43 pm

Congrats

I made the same jump almost a month ago (although mine is a new 05). I'm sure you will love the ride (though the comfort accessories for the bike are somewhat limited). Wait until the first time you have to break really hard to compensate for someone else's rectal/cranial inversion and you will positively love your new ride. I'd be riding mine today except that at 1,400 miles its in the shop waiting for a part that needs to be shipped from...... wait for it..... GERMANY!!!! I can wait for my ride to be fixed... I just have to remember that I'm in my happy place.... I'm in my happy place.... I'm in my happy place.
Enough bitching from me, this is about you. Congrats again and if you ever come to SE Wisconsin look me up and we'll go riding around Harley Town (aka Milwaukee).

84 Honda CB750 (sold)
96 HD Ultra Classic (sold)
04 HD Sportster (sold)
05 HD Ultra Classic "Pounder" (sold)
05 BMW K1200LT Graphite "Liebchen"
BMWMOA #126455
Equito Ergo Sum

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:49 pm

You will love it more each day

Welcome !!

If I had it to do all over again, as I learned to ride this bike, I would remove the trunk (numerous messages on this board lately) because of the noticeable handling differences. I am still amazed at how much better it handles at low speed. It only takes about 15 minutes to remove and you'll quickly feel the difference.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 4:55 pm

Smile

As already said, we are really glad you thought about it logically and went back and tried it again. Glad not for us, but for YOU!

Well, glad for us too! Always great to add another smart thinking person to the group.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 5:28 pm

advice from a shorter inseam

I have a 29" inseam and will give you a few tips I have learned from not being able to flatfoot both feet at the same time.
  • Use the reverse in parking lots. One small pebble under your toe when trying to manually back up is trouble. Even when I thought the pavement was clean I have slipped, it's a heavy bike and I tend to be a little off center pushing back with one foot.
  • Be very careful pulling into a driveway with a slight uphill entrance. You will be going slow and turning. Tap the brakes too much when your feet are over no mans land at the street-driveway seam and it will be no fun.
  • It can be very slick around gas pumps. I always try to be pulling in straight when I'm near them.
  • I have dropped mine twice coming off the centerstand when parked on the road with just a slight side slope. It started to lean to the low side and the gap until my foot hit the ground was too much of a lean angle to stop the momentum. I now bring it off the centerstand standing beside it if not on level ground.
And if it does start to fall, it's best to let it go and not hurt yourself trying to hold it up. Things you may already know. HTH
post #9 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 5:40 pm

Glad we could instigate a bit.. hehe okay.. a lot.

Maybe yesterday the "pucker factor" was a bit too high... hehe..

Enjoy! and "welcome home"..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 5:59 pm

Now ya' got it! Welcome to the insane asylum!

Brett
2003 K1200LTC SOLD
2013 K1600GTL SOLD
2018 K1600GA SOLD
2019 K1600GA Blue

North Georgia

2005 CCR-Tetons
2006 CCR-Braselton
2008 CCR-Midway
2009 CCR-Rapid City
2011 CCR-Boise
2012 CCR-Duluth
2014 CCR-Chattanooga
2015 CCR-Coeur d 'Alene

post #11 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 6:33 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

congrats and welcome to our lil disfunctional family in time the LT will become part of you.You will not even remember why you thought about not getting it. Again welcome aboard & Just Ride It

Stevie Shreeve
post #12 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 6:53 pm

Glad you took it out on a second date.....your gonna love her, I mean it....

Rich in Florida
post #13 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:25 pm

Now that was one cool post! Good luck.
I was the same way after I just sat on the LT. I never even heard it run but for two weeks I woke up in the middle of the night thinking about a bike that was not on my top five list. I knew that I knew that I wanted that bike. No looking back.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #14 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:40 pm

Thumbs up

Kind of strange how it speaks to your soul.

Now the BBS sets in!

Welcome

Duane

Check the obvious first!
01 LT Champagne "The Starship"
73 Z1 Kawi
and 7 long gone
post #15 of 25 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 9:03 pm

Now you have to get used to ABS.

I had to get used to where the foot pegs are on my LT and the turn signal levers.

When I ordered parts for the 12K, I ordered two valve cover gaskets, and two spark plugs. But, I remembered to get anti-freeze.

Bob
post #16 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:39 am

Welcome ---- and keep us posted.
post #17 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 6:49 am
Gold Supporter

You legs will get longer.

The longer you have the bike the longer you legs will get. I have a 30-inch inseam and was a little concerned about tiptoeing when I came to a stop too. I bought mine a year ago and had a couple tip-overs before I had mastered all the potent issues.

1. Gravel-When you pull off on gravel and the road slopes away from the bike you legs get shorter (ha, ha) and your toe slips away easier. Just be aware.
2. The short leg syndrome works on painted lines and oil in combination with rain.
3. Keeping the wheel straight when making a slow stop is important. Short legs seem shorter when 1000 lbs. of momentum (with your weight) get going the wrong way.
4. Your legs will seem shorter when the bike is parked up hill on the center stand. You may need a friend to push it off or look like you are very un-cool jerking the bike forward without your feet touching the ground.
5. Reverse is a blessing backing up hill. You could pull something trying this with short or long legs.

This is the most comfortable bike I could find that did not wallow. My inseam has adapted nicely.

Welcome to the group!

2005 - K1200 LT Blue
The best in life is yet to come!
post #18 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 8:54 am

Velcome! You'll love it!

The hardest thang for me was learning to "sit like that". Six years later all of it is remote control.

After more than 30 years of riding non ABS bikes, I'll still not pull them as hard as I could in a panic situation.... though working on it.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #19 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 10:18 am
Gold Supporter

This reminds me, when I bought my first LT the salesman wanted to ride my Ultra. While I was in signing all the papers he took off on the bike only to return a few moments later, with a horrified look on his face, asking "What's wrong with the brakes on that thing?" I didn't know what he was talking about, cause they worked fine when I rode it there, so I went out and rode the Ultra in the parking lot and it was fine. When I finally got on the LT (bought it without riding one) I quickly discovered why he thought the Ultra had no brakes. Huge difference!!!

Anyway, you'll be glad you went back and gave her a second chance. I have a 36" inseam and notice when I am at a light I am on the balls of my toes most of the time, but the balance of the bike compared to the Ultra makes a big difference. Once you get used to the riding position you will find you don't use the J-Pegs as much as you used the highway pegs, because it is a more comfortable position. Welcome!!!

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

post #20 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:03 am

hmmm. no more posts from our newbie.. must be riding instead of posing!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #21 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 12:00 pm Thread Starter

Just Absorbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
hmmm. no more posts from our newbie.. must be riding instead of posing!
My brain is on an LT overload (not a bad thing), but there's a lot of new information I'm digesting. Usually takes me a day or two for the swirling of ideas in my brain to settle down into some sort of cognitive thought.

I do appreciate the kind welcomes and encouragements. I must admit, that last night I was having a bit of HD mourning. HD was the only brand of bike I've ever ridden, and change is never easy, even good change.

Tons of questions, and will ask all of them, in time. I don't want to wear out my welcome.
post #22 of 25 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Thumbs up Every ride gets better

I agree with all that's been mentioned, and welcome. It's a great community!

I too am new and each ride gets better. The first week was hell...............thought I made a bad choice going from a Road Glide to this LT. I sure don't think that 3 months, 3 stopping drops, and 8000 miles later!

YeeHaa.............ride on!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #23 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 8:27 pm

Utra to LT

I too have converted from an Ultra to an LT. I rode my first LT last fall, and liked the ride and the feel of it, and started looking for one close to buy. Last October I found one nearby and was able to buy a 2000 LT with 8500 miles on it for less than $8,000. I won't say how much exactly. The tires were just replaced, and it was in perfect condition, other than the windshield. It did have a broken lift arm on the windshield control, but I was able to find someone who had one, and was able to replace it for less than $400.00. It also did not have heated seats, but I was able to find a used riders seat and pillon for a reasonable price. I rode it all last winter, and now have over 17000 miles on it. My only real concern is that the nearest dealer is over 100 miles away, and they only have one BMW tech working there, so getting work done requires much planning and waiting. I was put on this site by a guy from California who actually purchased my old non heated seats, and I have learned much since. I guess since my dealer is so far way, I am going to have to learn to do at least some maintence myself. BTW, I still have my Harley, and I do ride it now and then, and I do enjoy it, BUT there is NO comparison, except for the service issue. J Lakin
post #24 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 9:46 pm

To complete the transition from Harley to BMW kick it down into 4rth the next time you are on the highway and pass one. You will know you made the right choice. Ron
post #25 of 25 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 10:13 pm

Glad you're happy with it.. Like Ron sez... keep the rev's up.. much higher than the HD. Don't shift to 2nd/2k, 3rd/3k, 4th/4k at minimum... keep the oil flowing and keep your baby healthy. At first you will think you are doing damage.. nope.

the HD is a decent parts runner bike.. keep it for that.. I suppose.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in