A few questions - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By Axle
  • 1 Post By cws

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old Jan 12th, 2015, 4:37 pm Thread Starter

A few questions

On a 2002 K1200LT...what do the two [additional] clear wind deflectors [the ones below the mirrors & the ones at the bottom of the windshield] do for managing air ? Anyone ever ridden without them ?

Also, anyone know where I might find a printed owners manual(s) ? Not a big deal...but would like to have if possible.

Thanks !
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old Jan 12th, 2015, 4:45 pm

Garage
Re: A few questions

turn them around and go for a ride and you will get your answer
sorry had to say it
they all have a purpose and that is to calm the air flow for the rider and pass, I only turn the lower when its really, really hot as I get a lot of buffeting, the upper ones direct the air over your hands. fairly simple to remove, turn the bottom ones while riding and you will feel it immeadiately

LC
radar41 and pkpr1998 like this.

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT

Last edited by Axle; Jan 12th, 2015 at 7:24 pm.
post #3 of 27 Old Jan 12th, 2015, 4:48 pm

Ron02;

The deflectors you are referring to are an asset when the weather cools down.
so long as they are in the open position I suppose.............In the warmer weather......fold them in and get a little air flow to cool off the family jewels.............just saying...............

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT

post #4 of 27 Old Jan 12th, 2015, 5:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron02LT View Post
On a 2002 K1200LT...what do the two [additional] clear wind deflectors [the ones below the mirrors & the ones at the bottom of the windshield] do for managing air ? Anyone ever ridden without them ?

Also, anyone know where I might find a printed owners manual(s) ? Not a big deal...but would like to have if possible.

Thanks !
a Clymers shop manual from Amazon is here. Includes electrical wiring diagrams.
post #5 of 27 Old Jan 12th, 2015, 5:52 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
a Clymers shop manual from Amazon is here. Includes electrical wiring diagrams.
I have two shop manuals..OEM & Clymer...I'd just like to have an "owners" manual.
post #6 of 27 Old Jan 12th, 2015, 5:57 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palerider View Post
Ron02;

The deflectors you are referring to are an asset when the weather cools down.
so long as they are in the open position I suppose.............In the warmer weather......fold them in and get a little air flow to cool off the family jewels.............just saying...............

No offense to ?? But I just don't care for the look of either...and I'm going with a "sport" w/shield. Guess I'll take'em off & see. I can always put them back on.

I don't ride in cold much anymore , & in humid Ohio summer...extra air is nice. My other motorcycle is an 1150 Roadster...so I'm sorta used to it.
post #7 of 27 Old Jan 12th, 2015, 8:27 pm

Garage

Quote:
No offense to ?? But I just don't care for the look of either...and I'm going with a "sport" w/shield. Guess I'll take'em off & see. I can always put them back on.

I don't ride in cold much anymore , & in humid Ohio summer...extra air is nice. My other motorcycle is an 1150 Roadster...so I'm sorta used to it.
I notice a lot of air coming up from lower deflectors being open. Almost an annoyance because it will actually cause some helmet buffeting from below. I didn't believe it was coming from there till I tipped them out at about a 45 degree angle and it stopped.

Everyone is different. Like others said, give it a shot and see what you like.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 27 Old Jan 13th, 2015, 12:39 am

They manage airflow real well with my Cee Bailey windshield. I will say this. In the fall .A few of us went for a ohio/Pennsylvania ride. I forgot to put my chapez on and my thighs were cold. I turned those wings in and it took the cold air off my legs and put it on my lower shins. And I had my riding boots on so that was OK until I stopped for gas where I could put my chapez on. Those lower wings work very well.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #9 of 27 Old Jan 13th, 2015, 4:38 pm

It's your bike so you are welcome to do whatever to it. I would like to see you ride more and try the wings during rain and cold. You can open them in summer and they help with the airflow. Just enjoy the bike and ride it often.
post #10 of 27 Old Jan 13th, 2015, 5:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
It's your bike so you are welcome to do whatever to it. I would like to see you ride more and try the wings during rain and cold. You can open them in summer and they help with the airflow. Just enjoy the bike and ride it often.
I agree with the points you mention...I just think they look [silly] sorry...

So I'll likely mount my sport shield...and keep the deflectors for a good long ride. Then do same length ride without...to see / feel the difference . But likely they will come off.

I was just "tapping" the brain trust of experience here first.
post #11 of 27 Old Jan 13th, 2015, 11:21 pm
cws

Garage

Hi Ron... one of the times adjusting the lower front flaps can help is in a very strong cross-wind... by keeping one side closed to cut the wind (on the windward side) and folding back the other side, it can help change the effect of the airflow around the bike... I guess a bit like air movement over/under a plane wing.... and make the bike more stable. Really can be effective on long highway trips when the cross wind is quite heavy, helps reduce the effort to keep the big girl stable.
Just another thought/bit of experience.
cheers
Ted likes this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #12 of 27 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 2:58 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
Hi Ron... one of the times adjusting the lower front flaps can help is in a very strong cross-wind... by keeping one side closed to cut the wind (on the windward side) and folding back the other side, it can help change the effect of the airflow around the bike... I guess a bit like air movement over/under a plane wing.... and make the bike more stable. Really can be effective on long highway trips when the cross wind is quite heavy, helps reduce the effort to keep the big girl stable.
Just another thought/bit of experience.
cheers
Ron - for this reason alone I would not remove them. Please be advised that depending upon wind strength, at certain angles the LT cockpit becomes one big sail...the wind can move you unexpectedly and suddenly. I have been blown both across the center lane and to the shoulder on more than one occasion (I had a 2003). It's not fun.

Good luck!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #13 of 27 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 8:34 pm

Quote:

Well, as a general rule most of us that ride BMWs could care less how the bike looks. We are more interested in comfort and performance. I used to ride Harleys so I understand the mindset of worrying about the looks, but try to get over that and ride it like you stole it. Hope you enjoy your LT because it is a wonderful ride.
post #14 of 27 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 10:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
Well, as a general rule most of us that ride BMWs could care less how the bike looks. We are more interested in comfort and performance. I used to ride Harleys so I understand the mindset of worrying about the looks, but try to get over that and ride it like you stole it. Hope you enjoy your LT because it is a wonderful ride.

LOL!...I don't "worry" about looks...so I'm sure there is no "mindset"to get over...I just don't care for the added on deflectors.
post #15 of 27 Old Jan 14th, 2015, 10:26 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted View Post
Ron - for this reason alone I would not remove them. Please be advised that depending upon wind strength, at certain angles the LT cockpit becomes one big sail...the wind can move you unexpectedly and suddenly. I have been blown both across the center lane and to the shoulder on more than one occasion (I had a 2003). It's not fun.

Good luck!
So...were you blown around [with] the deflectors in place?...perhaps it's better without them ???

I have ridden in many & varying wind conditions...[even out running a Tornado]..so yes I know it can be a handful, and I appreciate the word of caution.
post #16 of 27 Old Jan 15th, 2015, 11:54 am
Lifetime Supporter

Sounds like your mind is made up. I put mine out at about 40 degrees F. Really helps on rides at that temp or below. If you don't ride when it's chilly or don't care, the question is moot. Let us know your experience after the fact.

Benny C. (Central Texas)
2001 LTC Pacific Blue (Babe...the blue ox)
1986 Kawasaki Concours (Connie) sold
post #17 of 27 Old Jan 15th, 2015, 1:36 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyBob View Post
Sounds like your mind is made up. I put mine out at about 40 degrees F. Really helps on rides at that temp or below. If you don't ride when it's chilly or don't care, the question is moot. Let us know your experience after the fact.

Not "made-up" but pretty certain i'm going to try it anyway...and for sure i will report what I discover...and yes I will admit if it was a total screw-up & I was way wrong.

Have bigger fish to fry first though....doc said this morning that I need a new hip. No options..new hip. Because I am single & no family he strongly recommends a convalescent facility for two weeks after surgery..even says he is reluctant to do it otherwise.....Damn!

Sorry, off topic.
post #18 of 27 Old Jan 15th, 2015, 4:30 pm

The LT might be the wrong bike for a guy with a new hip just kidding hope it all goes well

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #19 of 27 Old Jan 15th, 2015, 10:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryEm View Post
The LT might be the wrong bike for a guy with a new hip just kidding hope it all goes well

Guess I'll find out

To shorten a long story, I got the LT at an attractive price...and it is a project bike. I still have my [much lighter] Roadster to fall back on, but I've never owned an LT and [if the hip cooperates] I hope to try it for awhile.
post #20 of 27 Old Jan 16th, 2015, 8:58 am

Quote:
Not "made-up" but pretty certain i'm going to try it anyway...and for sure i will report what I discover...and yes I will admit if it was a total screw-up & I was way wrong.

Have bigger fish to fry first though....doc said this morning that I need a new hip. No options..new hip. Because I am single & no family he strongly recommends a convalescent facility for two weeks after surgery..even says he is reluctant to do it otherwise.....Damn!

Sorry, off topic.
With your upcoming medical problems, I can see that these little wings are way on the back burner. Good luck with your hip replacement and hope for a speedy recovery. Keep us posted because we may rant and rave sometimes, but we do care about each other.
post #21 of 27 Old Jan 16th, 2015, 12:56 pm
Ted

Quote:
So...were you blown around [with] the deflectors in place?...perhaps it's better without them ???
They helped, but ultimately a strong gust at the critical angle will trump the deflectors.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #22 of 27 Old Jan 16th, 2015, 3:01 pm

Ron02LT,

Ron you are not going to be able to make this bike into a 'sport' bike. It's not designed for that... it was designed for long distance touring in the most comfortable manner possible. You might be able to take some few pounds off of her, but she is a big girl. But is you play with her for a while you will see that she is very nimble and very quick even with the 'big' windshield and the little 'wings' on the side.

I'm old an sometimes cranky but if you are going to start taking things off the LT to make it look 'sporty'... you made a mistake in buying it and should have maybe gotten a sport bike instead.

Just my thoughts, your mileage might vary.

Regards,

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #23 of 27 Old Jan 16th, 2015, 3:03 pm

Ron02LT,

Ron you are not going to be able to make this bike into a 'sport' bike. It's not designed for that... it was designed for long distance touring in the most comfortable manner possible. You might be able to take some few pounds off of her, but she is a big girl. But if you play with her for a while you will see that she is very nimble and very quick even with the 'big' windshield and the little 'wings' on the side. And if you have the want to, she will run right along with most anything in the twisties.

I'm old an sometimes cranky but if you are going to start taking things off the LT to make it look 'sporty'... you made a mistake in buying it and should have maybe gotten a sport bike instead.

Regards,

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #24 of 27 Old Jan 16th, 2015, 3:20 pm

Quoted by tconnell
I'm old an sometimes cranky but if you are going to start taking things off the LT to make it look 'sporty'... you made a mistake in buying it and should have maybe
gotten a sport bike instead.

You also can repeat your self when you get old and cranky

Gary
2003 K1200LT

Last edited by GaryEm; Jan 16th, 2015 at 3:26 pm.
post #25 of 27 Old Jan 16th, 2015, 8:18 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
Ron02LT,

Ron you are not going to be able to make this bike into a 'sport' bike. It's not designed for that... it was designed for long distance touring in the most comfortable manner possible. You might be able to take some few pounds off of her, but she is a big girl. But if you play with her for a while you will see that she is very nimble and very quick even with the 'big' windshield and the little 'wings' on the side. And if you have the want to, she will run right along with most anything in the twisties.

Regards,

...you make it sound like I am desecrating some religious artifact..it's a motorcycle . It had been neglected & left for dead, I got it cheap. And IMHO I can revive it as I like....never know what can be...till ya try. I can always put it back to normal...why not have a little fun with it ?

But first I have to get something done with this darn hip....that's going to be a setback.
post #26 of 27 Old Jan 17th, 2015, 9:16 am

Hey, I didn't mean to; 1. Sound so hard on you and 2. To post it twice. I don't know how that happened. I thought I was correcting some spelling errors due to the bent finger from the personal close up adventure with the pavement on I-75 I had about 3+ months ago.

Sorry to have come off that way. Also sorry to hear about a bad hip. Hard to swing over a bike with a bum hip. Hope it gets better. I had shots in mine years ago when I could hardly walk. Cordizine as I remember.

I have trouble swinging the right leg over the LT as that one along with the healing ankle just don't lift up enough. I have to make a kicking motion to get the boot over the seat.

Getting old is not for sissies! Heal up and ride it.

Tommy

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #27 of 27 Old Jan 17th, 2015, 10:42 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
Hey, I didn't mean to; 1. Sound so hard on you and 2. To post it twice. I don't know how that happened. I thought I was correcting some spelling errors due to the bent finger from the personal close up adventure with the pavement on I-75 I had about 3+ months ago.

Sorry to have come off that way. Also sorry to hear about a bad hip. Hard to swing over a bike with a bum hip. Hope it gets better. I had shots in mine years ago when I could hardly walk. Cordizine as I remember.

I have trouble swinging the right leg over the LT as that one along with the healing ankle just don't lift up enough. I have to make a kicking motion to get the boot over the seat.

Getting old is not for sissies! Heal up and ride it.

For sure no offense taken, that's why I tried put a little comedy in my reply.

I have had cortisone [helped a little] & am looking into hyaluronic [sp] acid injections as well...still researching that. ...Thanks for the good wishes !

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in