5Likes
  • 3 Post By JRocker
  • 1 Post By JRocker
  • 1 Post By sailor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2015, 8:57 pm Thread Starter

No power to Starter

Greetings LT Forum,

Been searching the forum for a solution to my issue, i will do my best to describe:

1. high centered my 99 LT, busted kickstand assembly off of tranny. Bike still operated normally with no mechanical problems.
2. picked up a new tranny (off of an 05) and made the swap
3. reconnected all wires. Dash lights up, fuel delivery system winds up, kill switch working (meaning cycles fuel pump when switched from off to on), nuetral light green, reverse light comes on in reverse goes off in fwd.
4. Battery is new (12.75v on meter)

All that being said, I have no response when depressing ignition switch.
I would certainly be indebted to anyone that has an idea what i may be overlooking.

Thanks....Jay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2015, 9:33 pm

Re: No power to Starter

You might want to check the ground wire behind the battery box

Gary
2003 K1200LT
post #3 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2015, 9:57 pm Thread Starter

ground wire is good, behind battery box and tight at starter

post #4 of 21 Old Jan 8th, 2015, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

Is there a way to test the starter relay?
post #5 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2015, 1:25 pm
Lifetime Supporter

I had that happen one of the times I had my gear box out. Turned out I didn't get all the wires hooked back up to the battery. With having the sidecar I think I have 5 wires on each battery termal. I missed one of them, & it would do everything but start.Hope this helps Patric

Patric Blackman
2002 K1200LT/Hannigan2+2
2010 R1200GSA ...1987 Helix...
AMA Charter Lifemember
37 Year Member of both BMWMOA & BMWRA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2015, 2:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRocker View Post
ground wire is good, behind battery box and tight at starter
the wire going to the starter is the 12 volt supply, the starter body grounds through a bolt to the transmission, which causes problems when it come s loose.

the connecting block directly rear of the battery is the point where the starter realy and the reverser feed 12 volts to the black wire on the starter motor - when you push the starter handlebar switch you should see 12 volts at that junction - starter relay puts 12 volts on the smaller black wire.

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #7 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2015, 2:19 pm

Does it crank when you pull in the clutch?

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #8 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2015, 8:20 pm

Check wires to sidestand. I had same problem after hitting a piece of a tire (gator). Wires to sidestand switch were damaged.
post #9 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2015, 8:28 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

OK the problem could still be in the one of the two switches on the F-R shaft. One enables the starter in F and the other lights the R in R as well as disabling the starter. If you pulled the one from your old tranny and installed it on the new one you may have dislodged one of the plastic trigger buttons on the micro switch (common thing when removed and re-installed on the shaft. This would prevent the starter relay from operating.

If you have a broken one you can replace it with one of these
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Micro switch.PNG
Views:	75
Size:	174.0 KB
ID:	71738  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #10 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2015, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

thanks for the many suggestions, I have exposed the starter relay and do have power up to it. A guy I met who once worked as a service tech at the OKC BMW shop (and still wrenches for many guys out of his own garage) has volunteered to come by the house tomorrow and help me diagnose the issue. I am certain I will be feeling relatively stupid after 5 minutes of his arrival. Thanks again to all who responded, I will update tomorrow night with progress.
post #11 of 21 Old Jan 9th, 2015, 11:27 pm Thread Starter

It would be criminal if I did not mention the specifics of this journey to the center of the LT. After the road claimed the legs out from under the bike, I got her towed about 1/4 of the way back home for free (love AAA). My oldest son, after working a 12 hour shift, insisted on making the drive up to trailer me back the rest of the way (great kid #1 ). We got her back home and I began the search for a replacement tranny (BMW wants 1100 just for the housing). Found a used complete tranny for $150. So having only ever changed my own oil, all I could do is go to the garage 3 to 5 nights a week and stare at the monumental task at hand. My youngest son (great kid #2 ) realized my despair and decided to stage an overhaul. My middle son (great kid #3 ) used the force to jedi mind trick my wife into allowing the youngest to steal my bike from the garage, move it to his friends house and make the tranny swap. My wife spent the 2 weeks before Christmas getting her affairs in order, thinking that if those boys damaged my bike that I might damage her beyond repair. She led me to believe that a Christmas present was in the garage and I had to stay out until after Christmas day. So on Christmas morning after all the presents were distributed, the boys loaded me up in the truck and drove me to the house where the repairs were done. When the door lifted and I saw the bike I was in shock, I couldnt believe they had pulled it off. Even though we are digging back in to figure out the electrical issue, I have to give it up to my boys, along with their buddy, for giving me one of the best gifts I have ever received. I know we will get her running soon and I will have them to thank, along with Kirk Johnson and his detailed videos, for getting this project underway. Anyone who has done any wrenchin on their bike knows just how special this story and I felt compelled to share it with some fellas who might appreciate it.
Patric, cws and dvgb131 like this.
post #12 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 1:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

Nice story. After reading it my money says almost certainly the boys simply missed a plug, bent a pin, or broke off a switch button as John suggested. You might put a good charger on the battery just to be sure, or at least check your voltage with the headlight on. If you have the updated relay, it could be as simple as that as it will shut down if the voltage is low.

post #13 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 11:23 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
OK the problem could still be in the one of the two switches on the F-R shaft. One enables the starter in F and the other lights the R in R as well as disabling the starter. If you pulled the one from your old tranny and installed it on the new one you may have dislodged one of the plastic trigger buttons on the micro switch (common thing when removed and re-installed on the shaft. This would prevent the starter relay from operating.

If you have a broken one you can replace it with one of these

John, a while ago you have posted a reply on a method to check these 2 switches behind the knob. See this thread:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...ease-help.html

Given that his transmission was removed, I think the OP (Jrocker) should test these 2 switches (Reverse/Forward) at the connector.

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #14 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 11:38 am Thread Starter

thanks guys we have the reverse switches exposed this morning and are digging in to see if that is the problem. fingers crossed and horseshoes turned upright.
post #15 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 12:03 pm

Quote:
thanks guys we have the reverse switches exposed this morning and are digging in to see if that is the problem. fingers crossed and horseshoes turned upright.
See 2 attached images containing notes from John (Jzeiler) that I have gathered from past threads. Everything you need to know about this Forward/Reverse switch testing ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT_Reverse switch_Behind-knob.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	71762   Click image for larger version

Name:	K1200LT_Reverse-Switch testing-connector.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	71770  

John (Montreal, CANADA)
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #16 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 1:25 pm Thread Starter

Bingo, I am showing continuity in reverse and not in fwd. Does the transmission need to come out to swap the switches?
post #17 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 4:18 pm Thread Starter

Answer my own question: No, do not have to remove gearbox to get to the reverse switch. Switch removed and the fwd contact is definitely broken off.
Patric likes this.
post #18 of 21 Old Jan 10th, 2015, 8:44 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Some times you (if you can find it) can put the little plastic "piston" back in the rubber and "repair" the switch. Other wise order one from Allied.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #19 of 21 Old Jan 11th, 2015, 5:00 pm Thread Starter

new switches ordered. Again thanks to all, I think we have a solution. looking forward to hearing the starter turn.
post #20 of 21 Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 6:24 pm Thread Starter

Well we ordered the new switches and they were a little short. Meaning the plungers sat lower than stock and the actuator wouldnt reach them. We fitted some copper wire under the new switches, held in place with loctite super glue (if youve ever used it you know its permanent) to raise them up just slightly, works perfectly. So we are back on the road, took it out for a test ride and its very smooth. Now i just gotta figure out why the cruise control isnt working. The fun never ends.
post #21 of 21 Old Feb 22nd, 2015, 7:27 pm

Quote:
Well we ordered the new switches and they were a little short. Meaning the plungers sat lower than stock and the actuator wouldnt reach them. We fitted some copper wire under the new switches, held in place with loctite super glue (if youve ever used it you know its permanent) to raise them up just slightly, works perfectly. So we are back on the road, took it out for a test ride and its very smooth.

*** Now i just gotta figure out why the cruise control isnt working. The fun never ends.
In your initial post on Januray 9th, you said you had to remove / change transmission. This requires a lot components move and you may have change throttle-cables free-play or throttle-cables routing (common problem associated with cruise).

I would suggest you start with this video tutorial and the PDF document to help you with the cruise-control troubleshooting. See this link in a previous post:
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/k1200lt/...-tutorial.html
Patric likes this.

John (Montreal, CANADA)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in