Need New Tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:02 pm Thread Starter

Need New Tires

I have an 03 LT that needs new tires. Currently have BT 020's. I like them. but is there anything out there anybody likes better???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:18 pm

Metzler

I've an 05 LT and recently went to the Metzler ME 880's. I like them better than the 020, which was stock on the bike.
post #3 of 12 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:37 pm

Opinions on tires are like, well, opinions - everyone's got one and everyone else thinks theirs is the only one that don't stink.

B-stones: some say they have better wet traction. Usually don't last as long
Metzlers : some say that they have poorer wet traction. Usually last a bit longer

There is *NO* hard data either way on the wet traction issue. So far, it's all empirical. Too many variables. Pick your area of preference and you'll easily find a half dozen folks that say either tire is better or worse in that area.

Me? I run Metzlers. Never had a problem with wet traction and there are numbers that suggest they do last longer. Handling is great - I like 'em. But then, I've never personaly tried anything else.

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:02 am

I run Metzters, just bought a new set here,http://www.americanmototire.com/
post #5 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 2:34 am
IBR# 366

Garage
You can find more info than you care to in our Tires forum.

There are basically four choices that are weight-rated for the LT.

Bridgestone BT020 Radials
Great handling, great traction wet or dry, shorter life, a small percentage have developed bubbles, especially towards the end of their useful life.

Bridgestone BT020 Bias
Good handling, good traction wet or dry, medium life.

Metzeler ME880 Bias
Decent handling, decent dry traction but lower wet traction, long life. Some ME880s have also been prone to tire failures, but very few.

Avon AV45 & AV46
Great handling, great traction wet or dry, medium life, the rears are soft and thus wobbly for the first few hundred miles.

There are also some Dunlops that fit, but have poor mileage and handling, and sometimes rub the swingarm.

I like the Avon front and BT020 rear for great handling and traction with decent mileage, that combo makes the LT turn in quicker and feel a lot lighter. I have also been happy with the BT020 Bias as the best overall compromise on all counts. I can't stand the ME880s (LT feels sluggish and they slip in the wet) or Avon rears (too wobbly until they settle in), others may feel different.

It all depends on how you ride, and what your priorities are.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #6 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 2:41 am

I am on my third set of Metzeler ME880 Bias tires. If they have a problem with wet roads I have no complaints. (And I ride wet more than I want to)
post #7 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:01 am

Hi David!

I think Ken (Meese) gave a really good/objective summary of tire choices.

We all have reasons for what we run - me, I like the Avons F/R.

I just received my second set from http://www.swmototires.com/ for $232.9 to my door (and they are quick) -- no affiliation, just a satisfied repeat customer.

Good luck on your decision ...
post #8 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:50 am

Cost of changing BT020 front and rear at my dealer (after 10.000 miles)

Tyres $ 414
Changing same $ 62
Wheels off and on $ 60
Disposal of old tyres $ 6
Tax on above 16 %
post #9 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 9:14 am

When I bought the bike it had on a pair of 020’s. I like the handling but was disappointed with the short life of the front tire. It would start cupping around 5,000 miles and was shot by 7-9,000 miles. I am now on my second Avon front with the 020 on the back. I love this combo. The Avon showed no signs of cupping until close to 8-9,000 miles. I replaced it at 10,000 miles, not as good as the 12-15,000 miles I get out of the rear but way better that the 020. Handling is superb wet or dry.

Malcolm McGee
Little Rock, AR
'00 K1200LTC Canyon Red
'09 Kawasaki KLR 650
'96 Bunkhouse
IBA #24557
BMWMOA #117769

post #10 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 11:24 am

Metz For me !!!!!!!!!!

David,

I also have an '03 that came with the BT020's. The front was replaced with a Metz at 6800 miles by the previous owner, so I have no information on the B-stone front life. The rear I replaced at 8,500 miles as I was experiencing a very pronounced "wobble" between 30 and 40 miles per hour. It was especially noticable during decelleration. After much reading on this site, and after figuring that my problem was not the same as "the dreaded front-end shake", I replaced the back tire with the Metz. Wobble gone, ride fabulous, traction marvelous. I am nearing 3000 miles on the tire.

Its METZ for me!!!!!!!!

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #11 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:53 pm

Smile Metzlers 880

I also run Metzlers 880 front and rear on my 99 LT.
Been using Metzlers since I rid the bike of the original BT tires that came with it. No complaints except for the rumble noise from the sides of the tire as they wear. (Almost makes one think it could be the rear drive, at times.)
Actually , I had been using Metzlers on my 85 Suzuki Madura and my 84 Yamaha Venture before I purchased the LT in 99.

Just my 2 cents.
George
post #12 of 12 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 5:25 pm

I forgot to mention !!!!!!!!!!!!

When you have the new tires put on, no matter which you decide on, make ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the shop that mounts the tires replaces the valve stems. I had one fail, in Clarksville, Arkansas, on Saturday night. If not for an entire community coming together on Sunday morning to aid a motorcyclist in distress, I would have had a sizeable tow bill and missed some of the best riding in this part of the country.

FYI - Arkansas Highway 7, Jasper to Hot Springs - as good as it gets!!!!!!

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in