I removed the top trunk & what a difference - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:15 pm Thread Starter

I removed the top trunk & what a difference

Just wondering if it is my imagination or if the differences are real. Last weekend I removed the top trunk in order to preform a "canisterdectomy" and decided to leave it off for a while. The way the bike now handles seems so much better that I am debating as to put it back or not. J

Just removing the weight seems to make the bike more flexible and sporty. Hard to explain, but I wonder if anyone else have had a similar experience? I see a Ft. Worth rack in my future.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Last edited by dandiver; Jul 26th, 2006 at 6:53 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:18 pm

PLEASE post a pic of what your bike looks like without it!!!

thanks loads

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #3 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:28 pm

Yes Pics would be nice..was it easy to remove?? a detchable trunk would be great..

post #4 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:39 pm Thread Starter

I'll try to post several picture is a few minutes. As soon as they develop! It was very easy to remove the top case.. The inside liner pops out. Just a 4 screws hold the case and two cable plugs. The best way to describe the way it handles is to compare a motor home to a sports car. It really seemed to make that much of a difference.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #5 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:41 pm

There are lots of pics out there of "topless" LTs (and I don't mean female O-1/O-2/O-3s, if you know what I mean). Here are a few.

Others who have removed the LT top case report similar experiences. I hope to be one of them some time, just too busy with other stuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LT no top case 1.jpg
Views:	5244
Size:	581.1 KB
ID:	5350   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT no top case 2.jpg
Views:	1283
Size:	600.6 KB
ID:	5351   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT w top case removed 1.jpg
Views:	1261
Size:	213.3 KB
ID:	5352   Click image for larger version

Name:	LT w top case removed 2.jpg
Views:	2633
Size:	188.1 KB
ID:	5353  

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #6 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:44 pm

Been discussed quite a bit 'round these here parts. Yea - makes a very noticable diff in the handling.

This is but one of many threads discussing this issue:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9879

and I ran into a similar experience myself back a ways:

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7908

Tail trunk is back on now - I use the thing too much.

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #7 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:46 pm Thread Starter

top less

plastic is off for service.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	bike no top case 2006 002.jpg
Views:	1675
Size:	569.4 KB
ID:	5354  

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by dandiver; Jul 26th, 2006 at 6:52 pm. Reason: spell check
post #8 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler
There are lots of pics out there of "topless" LTs (and I don't mean female O-1/O-2/O-3s, if you know what I mean). Here are a few.

Others who have removed the LT top case report similar experiences. I hope to be one of them some time, just too busy with other stuff.

That Blue one really does look like a Light Truck.

It has a nice wide truck bed to haul 2by4's
post #9 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 7:01 pm
ajs

I removed the top box from my '05LT about 3 weeks ago, rode the bike like that for a while. What a difference in handling especially in the corners. I installed a FW rack with a Backup Back rest and left for the MOA rally in Vermont the next day. A really sporty way to travel to say the least. Got some comments and keen interest in Vermont.

I just returned from my dealer today. (a 500 mile round trip) I was there for the 30,000 km checks, got a number of comments from people at the dealership. As well, an LT rider with Minnesota plates was going by, say my bike and turned into the dealer to take a closer look. Apparently he thought it was a new model from BMW. It looks good and handles great. I would post a picture except I am technologically challenged when it comes to things like that. I will no doubt, put the top box back on when I travel with my wife.. a simple and quick operation.

I also added the short European wind screen. The combination works well, put me back into the AIR and a sportier ride. It ain't the GS but it's gettin' there.
post #10 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 7:33 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handlebar
Yes Pics would be nice..was it easy to remove?? a detchable trunk would be great..
Hbar - howdy. You got the pix, and for the question on removal ease --- it is super easy to do. In addition to some posts given during this thread, there are others listed near the bottom of this page. Also, on the subject of removing the top case, you'll find the procedure on pages 34, 35 and 36 of the small Rider's Manual (mine is dtd '98). Got pictures/drawings there also. Realizing that if you bought your bike as a used model, you may not have received the Rider's Manual, butt they are very handy to have and you might ax your dealer to get you a copy. HTH.
post #11 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 8:56 pm

Don't tell anyone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil_Adams
That Blue one really does look like a Light Truck.

It has a nice wide truck bed to haul 2by4's
But the blue LT is (was?) Joe's.

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #12 of 41 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:23 pm

Now, with all the great and creative minds out there ........ anyone figure out a quick disconnect system for the trunk removal. I do use the trunk quite a bit but not all of the time. It would be nice to be able to "take it off" quickly and reattach it. Looking for the best of both I guess .....
post #13 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:01 am

Topless

Quote:
Originally Posted by petevandyke
PLEASE post a pic of what your bike looks like without it!!!

thanks loads

Pete
Here is my bike topless but I ride alone most of the time so I like the Corbin Smuggler. It handles about the same As with the tour pack off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3170004.JPG
Views:	1237
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	5366   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sumggler 1.jpg
Views:	798
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	5367  

Jerry Mathison
Woodbine, Iowa
2008 Gold Wing
2005 Ocean Blue (Sold)
BMWMOA #25294

post #14 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:54 am
IBR# 366

Garage
There isn't a quick disconnect in terms of a lever you can pull, but it takes less than 5 minutes to get the trunk on or off. One thumbscrew (for the opening strap), four bolts (for the trunk), two bolts (for the seat), and two plugs and you're done. And the same in reverse to reinstall it.

Pretty simple.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #15 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 2:07 pm
Lifetime Supporter

When I took my trunk off I put it on the scale and if I remember correctly, it weighs 30lbs. That's enough to notice when you're riding without that weight. I put it back on because I thought the bike looked unbalanced w/too much mass up front and none on the back...just mho.

2017 R1200RT
2008 Harley Davidson 105th Anniversary Ultra Classic
IBA No. 58411
post #16 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 3:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by hschisler

Where did that rack come from in place of the trunk in your first picture you posted? is that the standard rack from the top of the trunk?
post #17 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 3:37 pm

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitsman
Where did that rack come from in place of the trunk in your first picture you posted? is that the standard rack from the top of the trunk?
It's probably the Fort Worth Rack. Les (skylark) put one on his LT and it really finishes it up nice.

Beady

Last edited by VickyBeads; Jul 27th, 2006 at 3:38 pm. Reason: Spelling
post #18 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Handling Problems?

I'm sure that the bike is lighter without the top box, however, I've never even thought that it didn't handle well with it on. At least mine seems to boogie when pushed and the COG seems to be a plus as it works like a pendullum for really easy turn ins. I'm always amazed at how quickly the bike responds to slight inputs and tips in to any turn with apparent ease.
Just my 2 cents.
post #19 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 5:01 pm

I'm with you Jerry, first had a Ft. Worth rack then got a smuggler which is the best of both worlds, especially as a daily driver. What kind of back rest is that and where is it mounted? (Sorry for the thread hijack)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerrym
Here is my bike topless but I ride alone most of the time so I like the Corbin Smuggler. It handles about the same As with the tour pack off.

Jeff in Myrtle Beach
'01 LTC
'99 Icon champagne
'02 KLR 650
TZ 185 2 stroke
Honda R100R beater

post #20 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:25 pm

I STRONGLY advise AGAINST removal of the top trunk!!

Put it back where it belongs and USE that sucker!! Stuff it full, and LATCH that baby shut!!

post #21 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 8:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BilletsGalore
I STRONGLY advise AGAINST removal of the top trunk!!

Put it back where it belongs and USE that sucker!! Stuff it full, and LATCH that baby shut!!

Ok, Ok - dang!

Only thang is, if I do that too often, the darn latch'll brea ................. OH!!! Wait a minute ... I git it!!

Hi, Evan!! Boerne's Starbucks opens on the 18th, next month, if you're in the 'hood.
post #22 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 9:55 pm

trick photo?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
plastic is off for service.....
It looks good with the box off ( going to flip my lid soon)

OK so what's holding the bike up? doesn't look like the side stand is down. If you know some levitation tricks please clue me in, that way I will never drop my baby again!!!!
post #23 of 41 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:12 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Thumbs up

I pulled mine off last night and road it today . There was a strong south wind today but it did not seam to blow the bike around like it use to Just my .02 cents

Stevie Shreeve
post #24 of 41 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 1:02 pm Thread Starter

Side Stand is down

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearman
It looks good with the box off ( going to flip my lid soon)

OK so what's holding the bike up? doesn't look like the side stand is down. If you know some levitation tricks please clue me in, that way I will never drop my baby again!!!!
You just can't see it. I hardly ever use the center stand except to do service work. Got to get back to that 24,000 mile service this weekend.....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #25 of 41 Old Apr 24th, 2011, 6:18 pm

Re: I removed the top trunk & what a difference

Yeah, I know this is an old thread, but, I followed the master mechanic's frame-by-frame directions and had my trunk off and new rack on in 20 minutes.
Went to a local parking lot and practiced low speed manuevers-WOW-what a difference! Good to know how easy it is.
Many thanks!

If I ain't drummin'...I'd rather be ridin'!
post #26 of 41 Old Apr 25th, 2011, 4:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Just wondering if it is my imagination or if the differences are real. Last weekend I removed the top trunk in order to preform a "canisterdectomy" and decided to leave it off for a while. The way the bike now handles seems so much better that I am debating as to put it back or not. J

Just removing the weight seems to make the bike more flexible and sporty. Hard to explain, but I wonder if anyone else have had a similar experience? I see a Ft. Worth rack in my future.
There is another recent tread called "the topbox is off" Good pic's on it for a custumised rack.
post #27 of 41 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 9:57 am

Removing one of the LT's best features just so you can make it more sporty is the ultimate in applying lipstick to a pig so you can take it out on a date.

Carlos Alvarez
Gilbert, AZ
2000 K1200LT-I
post #28 of 41 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 11:40 am

She looks good in lipstick! But she ain't a cheep date.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #29 of 41 Old Apr 27th, 2011, 9:40 pm

Yet another pic of a trunkless LT....sans lipstick. I'm using her a lot in the city & finding the low-speed handling better to my liking. As easy as the trunk came off, it'll be no big deal to put it back on for a long haul.

Different strokes.....
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	trunkless.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	31187  

If I ain't drummin'...I'd rather be ridin'!

Last edited by ScotDrummer; Apr 27th, 2011 at 9:47 pm.
post #30 of 41 Old Apr 29th, 2011, 11:47 am

I agree handling is much improved with the topcase removed. Its easy to take off, hardest part for me is finding a spot in the garage to lay it! I probably take it on and off 15- 20 times a year depending on my usage needs. I purchased some plastic "T" handles at the hardware store that thread into the back two topcase mounting points which serves as tie down points allowing me to utilize the space as a "poor mans rack".
post #31 of 41 Old Apr 30th, 2011, 8:50 pm

I'm removing my trunk/top case tomorrow afternoon. I like the looks of it off and I never did like the look with the arm rests. It looks like granny clampett's rocking chair on top of the model A without my wife on it. I''ve seen the Fort Worth rack but can't find it on the internet. Anybody know the site? I googled it but didn't get it in my search. As always, thanks for the help.

Jim

Blue Knights M/C
2009 K1200 LT
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 2000 Classic LT
1989 Kawasaki Voyager 1200
1972 Honda 750
1969 Kawasaki 100
post #32 of 41 Old Apr 30th, 2011, 9:07 pm

Garage

What's the fascination?
I have noticed quite a few are removing the top box . . . trunk. I know its your bike and you can do what you want. And most of the reasoning is handling. OK it still looks good.
But why would I buy a F- 15 and then go through the trouble of stripping her down and removing all the hardware to turn it in a Laird jet. My wonder is why a full dresser touring to be turned into a sport touring. Doesn't the GS or RT have the same spunk and is distinctively lighter and no trunk to begin with? I have never ridden one. I like my LT as is and it does everything I expect and perhaps a little more.
ride safe
post #33 of 41 Old Apr 30th, 2011, 9:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsmith
What's the fascination?
I have noticed quite a few are removing the top box . . . trunk. I know its your bike and you can do what you want. And most of the reasoning is handling. OK it still looks good.
But why would I buy a F- 15 and then go through the trouble of stripping her down and removing all the hardware to turn it in a Laird jet. My wonder is why a full dresser touring to be turned into a sport touring. Doesn't the GS or RT have the same spunk and is distinctively lighter and no trunk to begin with? I have never ridden one. I like my LT as is and it does everything I expect and perhaps a little more.
ride safe

Give it a try and you too might be surprised. I know that I was and still remove it from time to time just for the change. By the way, I still have the replacement rack for sale if anyone is interested. Might include it with the K1200LT when I sell it, as soon as the new bike arrives.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
post #34 of 41 Old Apr 30th, 2011, 11:04 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanDiver
Give it a try and you too might be surprised. I know that I was and still remove it from time to time just for the change. By the way, I still have the replacement rack for sale if anyone is interested. Might include it with the K1200LT when I sell it, as soon as the new bike arrives.
Sorry definitely not now.
My bike is one year old with 7k miles and am still enjoying the ride. I don't think I am persuadable. I have an '85 GoldWing that I have considered removing the tail-box. Not because of maneuverability but over the years it has developed hairline cracks around the lip of the lid and at the mounting bolts at the base on the inside. And one hinge is also broken. Over the years I have looked for a replacement and was unsuccessful. So if I were to replace that trunk I don't know what will it do for that ride and will lose that high visibility tail/brake light.
ride safe
post #35 of 41 Old May 1st, 2011, 8:42 pm

I just purchased a 2003 LT that is impossible to tell from new, after riding an R bike for many years. I love the LT. I read the thread about removing the trunk, which I didn't much care for anyway (I ride solo--never with a passenger).

I removed the trunk and the CD changer. Man, what a difference in handling. The trunk will not be going back on my bike.

DiverDan -- if you still have a rack that installs in place of the trunk, I'm interested.

Larry Gray

Lawrence W. Gray
2003 K1200LT
post #36 of 41 Old May 1st, 2011, 9:54 pm Thread Starter

The rack was sold yesterday.

I initially put the rack up for sale several months ago and only received one offer! Several days ago, a comment in a 5 year old thread has brought in several requests and it was sold last night.

The only reason I sold the rack was because the new bike won't need one. It comes standard....

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL

Last edited by DanDiver; May 1st, 2011 at 10:14 pm.
post #37 of 41 Old May 1st, 2011, 9:56 pm

I believe the Ft Worth rack is made by these people,
http://www.perrysmotorcycles.com/
And they're sold through these guys,
http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1697
They are spendy..and you have to get the grab rail separately, but they fit perfectly,
and they look great....also you have to buy the little "roundle" to fit in the handle
from the BMW dealer (about ten bucks). I bought my rack directly from perry's a couple
years ago, their prices are the same as A&S.
post #38 of 41 Old May 1st, 2011, 10:11 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgray
I just purchased a 2003 LT that is impossible to tell from new, after riding an R bike for many years. I love the LT. I read the thread about removing the trunk, which I didn't much care for anyway (I ride solo--never with a passenger).

I removed the trunk and the CD changer. Man, what a difference in handling. The trunk will not be going back on my bike.

DiverDan -- if you still have a rack that installs in place of the trunk, I'm interested.

Larry Gray
Larry, there are a coupla racks listed on eBay. Have to filter thru the motorcycle category and then specify BMW/Model/parts - etc, etc. Don't remember the pricing, but it is an auction.
post #39 of 41 Old May 2nd, 2011, 6:41 pm

I bought mine from A&S and the roundel on the grab handle was included.

05' LT Dark Grey, "Battle Star"
14' KTM 1190
03' KTM 450 EXC Dually
72' Honda SL 100
67' Triumph Bonneville
65' Honda CB160
70' Honda CB350
post #40 of 41 Old May 2nd, 2011, 10:07 pm

For what it's worth if you do go to Perrys and buy his Ft. Worth Rack you can expect a very good quality rack. A walk through his old showroom, garage and 2nd floor - priceless!
post #41 of 41 Old May 17th, 2011, 12:27 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk
I believe the Ft Worth rack is made by these people,
http://www.perrysmotorcycles.com/
And they're sold through these guys,
http://ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1697
They are spendy..and you have to get the grab rail separately, but they fit perfectly,
and they look great....also you have to buy the little "roundle" to fit in the handle
from the BMW dealer (about ten bucks). I bought my rack directly from perry's a couple
years ago, their prices are the same as A&S.
spendy is an understatement...

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in