Free Service Manual .pdfs? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:08 pm Thread Starter

Free Service Manual .pdfs?

I see on eBay where one can purchase a Service Manual for $4.99 and download the .pdf.

Does anyone know where one can get this .pdf file for free?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:37 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safedog
I see on eBay where one can purchase a Service Manual for $4.99 and download the .pdf.

..most of us prefer to buy the CD from BMW - although it might seem overpriced, it is not theft (which ever way you look at it).

• 2005 LT - 17 countries, 2 CONTINENTS & counting !
  • MB SLK 350 MT
  • 1974 Triumph Bonneville 750

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:52 pm

Quote:

Most of us think that even buying the illegal copies and putting money in someone's hands for nothing but a few minutes time and a $0.30 CD is a poor move, now it is available for download, requiring almost nothing for the perpetrator, now you want a $125 file for FREE?

If you are willing to obtain something illegal, why do you think $4.99 is too much to pay for it?

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:54 pm

just got my 05 Manual (CD) from Chicago BMW...116.00 to the door.

Money well spent.

F
post #5 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 7:15 pm Thread Starter

Sorry I asked

Look....I am new to this and am not world-worthy as some of you are. I was not sure if there was free-ware type information out there.

I apologize if I have offended a few of you, but don't appreciate the inferences made that I am a bad guy looking to break the law.

Respectfully....Karl
post #6 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 8:02 pm

Smile dont take it personally

Karl, don't sweat it. This touchy subject happens to ignite certain emotions when it comes to copy right laws. Good question anyway.

Quote:
Look....I am new to this and am not world-worthy as some of you are. I was not sure if there was free-ware type information out there.

I apologize if I have offended a few of you, but don't appreciate the inferences made that I am a bad guy looking to break the law.

Respectfully....Karl

looking around for a possible replacement

2001 K1200 LTC Mauve (Hi-Way Star) may she rest in peace!

CCR'2001 Hotsprings, AR., Sante Fe, NM., Gatlinberg, TN.
Breckinridge, CO., Grand Teton Nat. Prk, WY.
Chateau Elan, GA., Tan-a-Tar-A missed it!

Last edited by johnrehder; Jul 26th, 2006 at 8:03 pm. Reason: spelling
post #7 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:19 pm

Carl; No big deal, these guys get on their soapboxes every time this subject is brought up.
You did not ask anything that has not been asked many times and with the same results.
post #8 of 29 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:29 pm

Talking

Karl This is a good site for information but the BMW attitude gets in the way of these guys sometimes.The mightier than thou attitude they have is bogus so just ask any question and it will get answered lol
post #9 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 8:22 am

Beware the rightous.

Greetings Karl

Precisely the reason why I don't join the BMW club here in Australia. It's like not a single person has ever done anything remotely not right in their lives. You picking up a pirate copy of a service manual. Big flamin' deal. You'll surely go to hell for that. But it's OK for BMW to ignore known design faults with many of their bikes year after year inspite of us spending tens of thousands of dollars on them to purchase and then repair at our cost...(Like my ABS sensors)

It's up to you Karl.

Kindest regards

Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"

Last edited by harrowbmw; Jul 27th, 2006 at 8:23 am. Reason: spelling
post #10 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 9:32 am Thread Starter

Quote the Raven

Paul,

I think comedian Steven Wright says it best, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism." or if you like, "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory."

PS - I gave Steve the credit - no plagiarism here!
post #11 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 9:58 am

I would order the Clymer manual anyhow. Half the price.
I have seen the BMW shop manual and prefer the Clymer.
The Clymer manual seam to be more user Friendly (to me anyhow in the past )
It can be purchased on line as of today at .
"https://www.buyprism.com/Groups.asp?CATID=6"

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #12 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 10:02 am

Hey with the Steelers Emblem and the "Safedog" name I have a question for you.
You are not Ben Roethlisberger trading up to a new bike are you ?

Form a Browns fan !!!!

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #13 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:28 pm Thread Starter

Big Ben & Kellen Jr. Do Bike Safety

Na....although we have shared the same -type of football embarrassment.

Perhaps Ben and Kellen Jr. should be the new poster children for this website!
post #14 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:47 pm

Karl,
Just about everything you need to know for general maintenance you can find on this site for free. And for the tough stuff, someone in the group has probably already had the problem and can tell you the simplest (and cheapest) way to fix it. And hey, don't let David fool you, he STOLE those good looks of his from his mom and dad.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)
post #15 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 1:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
I would order the Clymer manual anyhow. Half the price.
I have seen the BMW shop manual and prefer the Clymer.
The Clymer manual seam to be more user Friendly (to me anyhow in the past )
It can be purchased on line as of today at .
"https://www.buyprism.com/Groups.asp?CATID=6"

does that clymer give any diagnoses references? instead of
JUsT how to change the parts!
a REAL manual I would be glad to pay for!

heck even the HD manual gives diagnoses trees

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #16 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 3:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgs
does that clymer give any diagnoses references? instead of
JUsT how to change the parts!
a REAL manual I would be glad to pay for!

heck even the HD manual gives diagnoses trees
I got spoiled many years ago with Toyota service manuals. The older ones gave step by step testing procedures for just about everything on the car, with highly detailed instructions and pictures. Even they got progressively less detailed as the years passed though.

I have two BMW cars, and BMW has almost no information available to the owner, and the only halfway decent manual for my 5 series is by Bentley, but even they have nothing for the 7 series.

What little BMW does have available for cars on CD's basically says "hook up diagnostic tester, if "--------" fails, replace it".

At least they have decent information available for the motorcycles! But I agree, it would be MUCH better if they developed some testing procedures that a reasonably talented person could perform with normal equipment and not the relatively unavailable and prohibitively expensive diagnostic systems the dealers use. Things like ignition timing can be done pretty easily with a multimeter, but the only way the service information has is to use the dealer diagnostic computer.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #17 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:13 pm

Just Got the new Clymer today and it does have a chapter 2 "Troubleshooting" which contains the following.
engine will not start
Poor engine performance
Fuel system
engine
engine lubrication
cylinder leakdown test
clutch
transmission linkage
transmission
electrical
final drive
front suspesion and steering
braking system..

Between this ne Clymer and the wealth of knowlage on this site I am fairly sure I can tackle most maintenance issues myself. as long as I have the right tool fo rthe right job.

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
BMWMOA #124306
Blue & Pearl
post #18 of 29 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:23 pm

Borrow a copy.

BMW dealership told me that if I order the CD for $125 I was nuts!! There are many copies to borrow on line...

I know that there are many computer programers and purests here so let me say I respect your point of view. I simply don't subscribe to it.

I've been building, borrowing and buying second-hand stuff for most of my life including the LT. You want to borrow my CD your welcome! "FREE!"

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #19 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:06 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkirker
Just Got the new Clymer today and it does have a chapter 2 "Troubleshooting" which contains the following.
engine will not start
Poor engine performance
Fuel system
engine
engine lubrication
cylinder leakdown test
clutch
transmission linkage
transmission
electrical
final drive
front suspesion and steering
braking system..

Between this ne Clymer and the wealth of knowlage on this site I am fairly sure I can tackle most maintenance issues myself. as long as I have the right tool fo rthe right job.

dang I need the reverse system diagnoses!

Thanks for looking

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #20 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:21 am

Well, hey, Karl, as I sat reading your post on the computer I bought from a guy from the back of a truck through the wireless connection I access because my neighbor didn't encrypt his access point, listening to MP3 music I downloaded off of the internet, with the TV on in the background playing movies with the cable box that the cable installer gave me for $50 under the table that allows me to access all the pay-per-view movies for free, smoking a genuine cuban cigar that a buddy smuggled over the border, finishing the last bite of the venison steak my neighbor poached out of season, i thought to myself "What a bastard, thinking that he can get the shop manual .pdf file without paying the $100+ for it even though he didn't realize it wasn't "kosher", I sure hope at least four or five people rip him to shreds and insinuate that he's some kind of thief!!!"

Lighten up people or we're gonna' have to petition BMW to start making additional models of riding boots with steel toes just for when people log onto the forums here for all of the times people get their toes stepped on.

"Cain't we all jus' git along?"---Rodney King

--The views expressed above are those of the author and not necessarily those of the management.

Pete

========================================
When life throws you a curve, LEAN INTO IT!!!
2000 R1100RT-P...R.I.P. "Old motorcycle"

2004 K1200LT "Lick and Tickle"

FU*K Cancer. If I have one more MRI, I'll stick to the refrigerator door.
post #21 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 8:49 pm

Still not sure what to say.

Karl...
I read this thread a while back and didn't reply immediately...as I really had to think about what to say. I read some things by people that really surprised me that they would say them.

I say, if you have a question, ASK IT! If you get slammed or burned...or as Spitrag likes to say "Flamed" then so be it. Not all will treat you that way.

Me personally, I share Dave's position on copy right infringements. Yea, the disk is expensive, I bought mine for 85.00 from a dealership....now...here is the funny part, when I asked about the CD that it was opened, they told me it was in the trunk of an LT a year or so back. One of the service techs removed the CD put it on the desk and it sat there for several months. So, they sold it to me. So, selling the same item 2x.....hmmm...ethic or Moral issue?

I do download 2-3GB of Music and videos monthly off of 360share.com but I paid my annual membership fee. Which is still pennies on a daily basis.

If you bought the CD on ebay for a few dollars...I wouldn't think less of you. Me personally...being an LEO, I have Polygraphs to take...so I have to be true.

You can borrow my CD anytime.

Another issue always talked around...but NEVER mentioned on the BMW sites..is annual incomes. Some people are EXTREMELY well off, others are Comfortable, and then there is us...hahaha, I work hard, I enjoy what I have and I take care of it...but I do always look for the best deal I can as long as I feel ethically it is a good deal.

Besides...only BMW owners will walk into a Dealership and spend 1000.00 on service or accessories...then "get pissed that coffee was .35"

You will ALWAYS get an answer on here....and I am sure you don't want to hear it..but between Ari, Dave, and Messenger13(sorry haven't really memorized your name yet) you will get a VERY solid answer and all the assistance one would need on their BMW motorcycle....but if you EVER need anything else ask Dave...he is like the All knowing Wizard of Emerald City, if you don't believe me....just ask him a question I still think he holds the "Meaning of Life" in his hat somewhere.

These guys on here are the greatest....the combined knowledge on here far surpasses the bogus CDs on eBay

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #22 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 9:27 pm Thread Starter

Thanks!

Bill,

Thanks for your thoughtful insight and comments. I will definitely let you know if I need to borrow your CD.

It's good to know that there are folks out there, including you and some others, that will offer constructive assistance.

Sincerely,

Karl
post #23 of 29 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 9:46 pm
Premium Vendor

Just a thought. I certainly don't condone theft but this is the same box the movie and music industries have painted themselves into. They keep charging ridiculous rates and then get upset when pirates move in.Taking a $40 service manual and putting it onto a 30 cent CD and charging $175 for it is theft in my book.Do any here think that the tech sessions are some how infringing on BMW service department profits. I personally do not but, the parallel can be drawn between shareware and a very knowledgable forum member hosting a driveway party and teaching others to do a 12,000 mile service. Some how the dealer is getting screwed by lost profits.

Tony 05
post #24 of 29 Old Jul 29th, 2006, 4:48 am

Thumbs up You're alright...

Quote:
Paul,

I think comedian Steven Wright says it best, "For every action, there is an equal and opposite criticism." or if you like, "A clear conscience is usually the sign of a bad memory."

SafeDog,

Thanks for the chuckle. And...I think you're going to do fine here.

The only fault I can find in you is your choice in football teams. Not cuz they suck, but because the Browns can't seem to find their same success.

As for a CD . . . PM me. Selling my LT, so I just may need to 'hook a brother up'. That's the least I can do after the whipping you took.
post #25 of 29 Old Oct 30th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Re: Free Service Manual .pdfs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolly
..most of us prefer to buy the CD from BMW - although it might seem overpriced, it is not theft (which ever way you look at it).
I did not know we had a spokesman for all of us on the forum.
Please note: I am not one of "most of us"
post #26 of 29 Old Oct 31st, 2009, 3:34 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defaoite
I did not know we had a spokesman for all of us on the forum.
Please note: I am not one of "most of us"
That comment sure made reviving a long dormant thread worthwhile...

2017 KLR650 "Mule"
2007 K1200LT "Starship Enterprise", VOICE II, Navigator V, Motorrad Communicator
1987 Kawasaki Voyager XII
1976 Kawasaki KH400
1973 Kawasaki 100 G5
1970 Rockford Chibi (the orange one)

post #27 of 29 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 9:15 am

Its available for free download on the net. I have found it at least twice (after I downloaded it the second time I realized I already had it!)

Just Google it and search!!!!

Ray "Razman"

2004 BMW K1200LTE - Rosie (As in Whole Lotta Rosie)
1996 HD Sportster XLH883 Hugger (sold)
1986 Honda Interceptor VF500F (sold)

Your chosen perspective changes everything. - Unknown Author

"You are what you repeatedly do. Excellence is not an event - it is a habit." - Aristotle; 384-322 BC, Greek Philosopher and Scientist
post #28 of 29 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 10:56 am

Re: Quote the Raven

Quote:
Paul,

All of Mr. Wright's material is subject to copyright under 17 U.S.C. 101 et. seq. You are hereby directed to cease and desist any and all unauthorized quotation, use or reference to Mr. Wright's protected material. In the event you wish to quote Mr. Wright in the future you may do so after applying for a license and payment of the required license fee. "Giving him credit" does not justify circumvention of United States Copyright Law!

In the meantime, I don't want to hear of you burning any CDs of an artist's music recordings, posting (or even viewing) unlicensed YouTube files, or making an illegal copy of a movie. It has also come to my attention that you have been having thoughts accompanied by mental images of Penelope Cruz. Her image is protected personal property irrespective of its embodiment in print, movie or other image of any nature, kind or description. You are to immediately cease and desist all thought of or pertaining to Ms. Cruz.

2004 R 1200 C (Fire Starter)
2007 R 1200 RT (Heavy Feather)
2008 Ducati 999 S (Shock and Awe)
post #29 of 29 Old Nov 2nd, 2009, 1:35 pm

Jeeze I just lost my thought....

Sorry Penelope...SIgh....

I thought the Gov was taking over thought control.....

I.. I ... Feel like vegetable now.... unless the veggies say I can't

Don't be afraid to say what you feel, as those that matter DOnt mind and those that mind Dont matter.
Dr.Suess-
-

1980 YAMAHA XJ650 MAXIM (RIP)
1982 YAMAHA 750 VIRAGO (SHES GONE)
1982 SUZUKI GS1000 (GONE)
2001 BMW K1200LT
2004 BMW R 1150 RT Sold.....
2007 BMW R 1200 GS
1986 BMW K100RT WITH A FLEXIT SIDECAR

1985 BMW K100 RT ( parts bike, but its too nice to do that, so it runs)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in