Comfortable ride?? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:33 am Thread Starter

Unhappy Comfortable ride??

Hi

I just finished a 500 mile trip yesterday, and I was absolutely miserable the last 150 miles. I can deal with the sore butt, but the biggest problem for me, that I can't find a remedy for, is the crouched position I have to assume to reach the bars (handlebars that is!!) I've got a 32" arm reach, but need these bars pulled closer so I can sit more erect (posture-wise!!). Are there any options available that would get me a couple inches closer to these bars? I know these bikes don't fit everybody, but I'm of average build.

Thanks a LOT!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 11:35 am
Senior Member (ret.)

Adjustable backrest that can push you forward as well as keep your back straight.

There are several on the market. Check out the Accessories page for

Utopia
Bakup
GG/wudo
Corbin (not sure of adjustment capability)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy
post #3 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:02 pm

Raffy has hit it on the nose. I have a backup backrest and I have it pushing me a little further forward so I have a more erect sitting position, taking pressure off of my hands. Another nice addition is the J pegs. Most use then to unload the legs, but I have them there for another reason. The J pegs allow you to push yourself back a little on to the backrest giving your back a bit of a rest (no pun intended). Making the 1100 mile trip to CCR was a little uncomfortable for me until I put on the J pegs when leaving and I did an easy 750 miles in one afternoon and could have ridden longer. The combination of these 2 things are a must if you are doing any distance riding.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
05' K1200 LT - BMW MOA Member
05 CCR Survivor
- Team-N-Training

post #4 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 3:58 pm

Make sure your seat is not in the lower position
this tilts me back and makes it harder for me to reach the grips

Mike in Pittsburgh

2000 K1200LT Canyon Red
1983 Honda GL650I Silverwing Interstate
post #5 of 11 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 10:57 pm

Yep, definitely check the seat position. I'm only 5'9" with a 30" inseam, but I prefer the seat in the raised position. It makes the reach to the bars more comfortable and I like the extra stretch for the legs.

Round Mountain, Nevada

Current Bikes

2002 BMW K1200LTE (Silver)
2005 Triumph Speed Triple
2000 Harley Davidson Wide Glide
2008 KTM 530 Exc-r
1995 Suzuki DR350S
post #6 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 11:41 am Thread Starter

thanks

I was thinking the seat is the problem. I bought this used with 120 miles on it but it only had the lowered seat. You've confirmed that the seat does tilt ya back if it's lowered and that does put me away from the bars. OK...now to find a stock seat! Also the backrest sounds great. I had one on my Roadking mustang seat and loved it. However I didn't think a backrest on this bike would push me forward. Guess I'll have to look further into that, but the seat must be the first changeout.

THANKS!!!!!
post #7 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 12:59 pm

Another option would be to have the lumbar portion of your seat built thicker to move you forward, the only problem with that is if you think your butt hurts now....

There are "bar backs" (machined clamps) that more or less move your handlebars back, not familiar if anyone has tried these on an LT - there might be issues with all the control cables, wires, etc. being long enough and fitment of the plastic handlebar shrouds.

I think Raffy's got the right idea with a backrest, there is one brand, BakUp, that has quite a bit of horizontal adjustment in it.

"Like Butt-ahh!"
post #8 of 11 Old Oct 17th, 2005, 9:54 pm

The Bakup is great. It definately helps posture and position if properly adjusted. I highly recommend checking one out.

Adversity builds character.

BMW MOA #: 115771
My rides: '01 K1200LT Black (of course)
'00 BMW 540i (also black)
'76 Toyota Landcruiser FJ40 (not black)
'06 Toyota Landcruiser (black again)
post #9 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:01 pm

I felt your pain! That was the reason I ended up selling my LT.
I loved everything else about the bike and I'm still waiting for an LT with adjustable handlebars.
I can't figure out why they would build a motorcycle without the ability to change or adjust the bars.
What are the two things that 90% of riders change first on their bikes?
post #10 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 7:11 pm

Thumbs up

I "Had" an identical problem with my LT .. in two words.

BACK REST.

Adjust it forward to set your arms lenth to grip position right, Your elbows won't ache, Your lower back won't get stiff, and your riding enjoyment will go up a 100 fold !
JUST GET ONE !

Scott

"00" Canyon Red LTI ~ Well Farklized ~ Bug Splattered
Our "semi" quiet riot
*** Trailer Too ***

T
wisties Required

post #11 of 11 Old Oct 18th, 2005, 8:21 pm

Another thought - you might want to try adusting the height of the bars - it can make a signifcant difference. Pretty sure there is a tutorial in the HOW. I would be especially dilligent in making sure the torque is correct. Seems I remember a dirt bike I rode in the 70's that tried to take out all of my front teeth since I did not clamp them down properly...

"Like Butt-ahh!"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in