Potential Owner seeking advise - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:03 pm Thread Starter

Potential Owner seeking advise

Hello All-

I have been reading this board for the past few weeks as I contemplate the purchase of an LT. I have the same concerns as posted by numerous others with respect to the weight/high center of gravity of the bike.

I am considering the local purchase of a 1999 LT, base model. This unit does not have the heated seats or grips. Both of which are desireable as I look to extend my riding season. The seat is not a tremendous concern as I would need an lower aftermarket seat anyways due to my height. (5'6").

The question I have is about the heated grips. While I recognize that most any bike can have them added, I am most interested in the OEM switch, etc. in order to keep a clean look to the bike. Does anyone have experience in adding the factory heated grip switch?

An alternative option would obviously be to pass on this specific bike and look for one with the features I am looking for.

Any advise is welcomed and appreciated.

Ride Safe-
Duane
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:23 pm

Duane,

I cannot help you on the task of installing the heated grips, however I have seen the OEM switch appear several times on E-bay over the last nine weeks. I think you are making a great decision on going with an LT. I am new to this site, and have only had my '03 LT since May 25, 2006. I have ridden for over 40 of my 47 years, have owned no fewer than 25 motorcycles - own 8 right now - and I have never been as happy with any purchase as I have been with the LT.

If you plan to ride with a wife or girlfriend please read the thread started today by darkey entitled "Dream Come True". It is a fine piece of writing that really sums up why we all enjoy this site and the bike that made it all possible.

My wife was a bit intimidated by all of my previous rides, too fast, too noisy, too uncomfortable, etc. Her first real ride on the LT, through the glorious Texas Hill Country, she fell asleep. If that is not an endorsement of comfort, I would not know one. It has happened a number of times since, normally on those cool mornings riding to a breakfast destination around 60 miles away. NOTE: All you safety monitors out there it is OK, she has armrests and could not fall off if I wanted her to!

I hope you find a way to join the ranks of LT ownership, and I hope that your experience is as wonderfully delightful as ours has been.

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 9:39 pm

IMHO, If your buying used and not getting exactly what you want the cost of the farkles and add ons will drive you crazy. There are so many good used LTs out there that have what you want I would not buy this one unless they were giving it away .. to a caring new owner for a good home..

BTW, I never thought that heated seats and grips were important. I will never buy a bike without them. Extending the season has nothing to do with my decision. They make riding in season comfortable. You won't understand until you ride a cool summer night... or a rainy Sept day.

JM2CW good luck!

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 9:47 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

I agree if this bike does not have what you want on it check the classifids here on this site or just keep looking in you area.

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:25 pm

Older bikes are fine.. get an extended warranty.

You don't say how many miles are on the bike, if it's been sitting, you might have some "startup" issues. Among them, battery, fuel tank (could have jelled, etc), injectors, tires, etc......etc.

But you might have a good deal.. how cheap is it?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:32 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RuneRider
Hello All-

I have been reading this board for the past few weeks as I contemplate the purchase of an LT. I have the same concerns as posted by numerous others with respect to the weight/high center of gravity of the bike.

I am considering the local purchase of a 1999 LT, base model. This unit does not have the heated seats or grips. Both of which are desireable as I look to extend my riding season. The seat is not a tremendous concern as I would need an lower aftermarket seat anyways due to my height. (5'6").

The question I have is about the heated grips. While I recognize that most any bike can have them added, I am most interested in the OEM switch, etc. in order to keep a clean look to the bike. Does anyone have experience in adding the factory heated grip switch?

An alternative option would obviously be to pass on this specific bike and look for one with the features I am looking for.

Any advise is welcomed and appreciated.

Ride Safe-
Duane
If it is not REALLY cheap, keep looking. There have been some really GREAT deals on LTs in our own classified section. With just a little looking/waiting you will likely come up with just what you want, or more.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:59 pm

You said you were 5' 6". Unless you are very experienced with a high seat, I would suggest you look at a 2005 or later. The seat is lower and not quite as difficult to handle at slow speeds and at stops. JMO. I have a 30" inseam and until the 05's I could not handle the LT.
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 2:54 am

In the first place, would get a slightly newer one. In the second, be sure you ride the bike. At 5'6", it is going to be a challenge.
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 5:08 am

I'm 5-07 with a 30 inch inseam as well. Although I ended up finding a very nice used 05 I had no problems with the early models that I test drove... I find a good boot with a modest heel and comfy loose fitting jeans, and the seat in the lowest position allow me to almost flat foot even the earlier models (the 05 is a tad lower).

Enjoy
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 5:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks to everyone for their advice and opinions. Your information is very helpful. A consistent theme that continues to appear is the modifications made to the 2005 during the refresh and how a shorter rider benefits from some of these changes.

One questions about the 05s and later, with the lower, narrower seat; does this obviate the need for an aftermarket saddle (comfort not withstanding)?

Further, would a low Corbin seat decrease seat height even more??

Ride safe-
Duane
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 30th, 2006, 6:08 pm
ajs

I have a 27" inseam and stand 5' 7" and ride an "05 LT. I have both the original soft seats and a complete set of Corbins. I mounted the Corbin pillion seat for my wife (her preference) for comfort. I use the OEM seat. I don't like the Corbin (too wide) for my short legs.

I have done everything I can except physically modifying things to make it as low as possible. I stand to gain about a half inch if I perform some of the physical mods.

As it is, I can get the balls of my feet down and can stabilize the bike satisfactorily. I just have to be aware of handle bar position as I come to a stop with the superb braking capability of the bike.

My previous ride was an R1100GS. A higher seat but an easier bike to balance and not as quick on the brakes but it still presented challenges for my short comings.

I believe the options are there using the OEM seat for one such as yourself to modify the seating to a comfortable height.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in