Had My Test Drive - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 2:45 pm Thread Starter

Had My Test Drive

Well, folks, I had my test ride today which included some highway travel, some back country roads, with plenty of twisties, and even some stop and go traffic.

The LT is everything you all said it was. Handling was responsive, braking, wow, and even slow speeds were tolerable.

However, the bike is just a bit to big for me. Not heavy, but height wise. There were a couple of times (mainly due to the bank in the road), that one foot or the other was on the ball of the foot, and for a bike that heavy, I need both feet planted firmly on the ground. I didn't drop it, but, only years of riding experience kept it upright during one of those situations.

So, as great a ride as it was, it's not coming home with me.

The LT is years ahead on the technical side compared to my Ultra, but I just couldn't see spending that kind of money for a bike that "may" work for me given enough time.

I suppose it all boils down to comfort level, and I just didn't feel comfortable (confident) on the LT. Perhaps that would change it time, and perhaps not, but I don't have the $$$ to take that chance.

I think buying a bike like the LT should be one of those, "you know, that you know, this is the bike for me", type thing with no hesitations or doubts. And, as great a bike as it was, I can't say it was a, "you know, that you know" experience for me.

Thanks again, for all your thougths and comments, and if by chance I grow a few inches (but at age 60 that doesn't seem likely), or of the LT's height ever comes down a few inches, I'll be first in line.

Plus, one other important item, that I hadn't really seriously considered till today. 80% of my riding is solo. The kids aren't old enough (second marriage for me, second set of kids) to leave home yet, so that precludes a lot of 2-up riding.

My Ultra has served me well for the past 16,000, and now I can appreciate the difference between a HD and a BMW, and am glad to have had the opportunity to be able to ride both.

I'm thankful for the blessings of owning a Ultra, and will be content where I am.

Thanks again, and please, wave to me if you see my cruising down the road .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 2:56 pm

Hi stefeb,

I haven't ridden an LT yet but am considering buying one, if it's not too personal then how tall are you and what's your inside ley measurement please. It maybe too big for me as I'm 5'10" inside leg 32".

Thanks.
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Before you make that final decision there has been some info on this site on lowering the seat height with a little surgery. Search on "seat heigth" Also consider a riding boot with a little thicker sole. If neither of these work for you than you gotta go with what your comfortable with...

Rich in Florida

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:13 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
Hi stefeb,

I haven't ridden an LT yet but am considering buying one, if it's not too personal then how tall are you and what's your inside ley measurement please. It maybe too big for me as I'm 5'10" inside leg 32".

Thanks.
I'm 5'10" with 31" inseam. I Ride my 2002 with seat in High position on long trips and Low position for alot of around town.

For me, I came from a VSTAR and it seemed WAY too tall, but I got used to it, now I also have a GS. After the GS, the LT seems pretty low.

I haven't grown or shrunk, so it really is what you get used to. Either you'll like the bike enough to take the time to get used to it, or you wont.

Either way, its not what you ride, but that you ride.

If its just weight/height, might want to look at GT/RS too. The old ones are lighter, and from what I hear the new ones are just fantastic, but I havent tried the new GT yet.

At least you can always get a demo ride on all of the above and make up your mind.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:16 pm

Have you ridden the Wing yet?
We are the same height; I was easily able to got both of my feet flat on the ground. The Wing roasted my left foot during my test ride; temp was only in the 90sF.
Bob
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
Hi stefeb,

Thanks.
Inseam is the critical thing with the LT, and 32" is just fine. You should be able to flat foot it, even with the seat in the high position, but if you do test ride one be sure you have the seat in the low position to give you a little added insurance.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:41 pm

5'7" with a 30 inch inseam. 1999LT

I have no trouble in my riding boots which may give me about 1/2 or 3/4 of an inch more.

The bike really only seemed too tall - in reverse. But that was a get used to it thing for me.

On the other hand I DO HATE that wwhen my wife rides the pass. pegs hit me in my calf muscle walking into a parking spot.
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Oh. I forgot to mention, my seat seat seems to compress with age. And, as the tires ware, it is easier to get my feet flat on the ground.

One time, I tried inflating my B'Stone past normal inflation--seemed to raise the bike, easier to lean it; didn't seem to corner better.
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 7:49 pm

I can't understand... all the potential of the LT and you give up that easy? Come on...

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 8:00 pm

I'm 5'9" 31" inseam.. I can't flat foot, but very close, not a problem for me in low position.. Goldwing with the air all the way down is about the same.

If you really cannot take the height and don't mind cruiser styling, I find the Yamaha Royal Star Venture to be more comfortable than the LT or the 'Wing,, and slow speed handling is better, very low seat height and low center of gravity. Hwy about the same. At speed handling in the twisties, well you can't have everything.

The comfort alone keeps me thinking about it, but I just can't get past the cruiser sytle.
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 9:57 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

5'8" 30"inseam cant flatfoot the bike but it doesn't make a lot of differance to me I would not trade my Lt for all the kings gold ( well mybe to get 2 LT's )

Stevie Shreeve

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in