Decisions . . . decisions ! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 2:44 pm Thread Starter

Question Decisions . . . decisions !

First of all Hi to one and all.

I'm looking for some advice on buying my next bike. I currently ride a 2002 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my wife usually rides pillion 95 % of the time. I've been very happy with the Trophy for the 3 years that I've owned it, but now I'm ready for a change to something else of a similar tourer style.

I'm considering one of the following choices, either a K1200LT or a newer Honda ST1300.

The ST is similar to my bike in size and weight, it's reliable, it holds it's price quite well, it wont cost an arm and a leg to service ( I don't do my own servicing ) and to be truthful it's really my 2nd choice . . JUST. . . . but I still like it.

The LT is heavier, it's more expensive to service and repair ( so I'm told ) but it has all the extra features I could possibly want and I think it's a stunning piece of machinery !

What do I do ? My head say's buy a Pan but my heart say's go for the LT !

I'd appreciate any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 2:55 pm
Gold Supporter

Seagull,

No one can tell you is you should follow your head or your heart, but I came off a HD bagger and had decided to buy another Goldwing (had seven before I bought the HD). The dealership had the color I wanted and it was on the showroom floor. Everything was done except selling the HD and signing the papers. My wife and I were driving by the BMW dealership and she suggested we stop and look. I walked into the showroom and the LT was the first bike I saw setting there. When I looked at all the features (electric windshield, electric center stand, heated grips, seat, & backrest -my wife saw that first, and linked ABS brakes) I was hooked. I looked into the cost of general maint. and the BMW was slightly less expensive, but the shop rates have gone up recently so it will probably be slightly higher now. Like you I don't work on my own bike. I looked at the ST1300, but it didn't come close to the LT when the Goldwing didn't, so I went with the LT and am glad I did. Don't worry about the weight, cause this bike is so well balanced you will take no time to get used to it. I use mine for a work bike in town and love it.

Jerry
Look in the wolf's eyes and what do you see--A guardian spirit or fierce enemy?
2008 FLHTCU White Pearl

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:00 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for your reply Lonewuff, I really do fancy the LT but I'm not a wealthy man so costs have to be considered, that being said I'd sooner have a bike that I want than something which is purely 'sensible'.

< rubs chin and squints >

post #4 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:00 pm

Seagull,, This will be a personal decision.... Both are nice, the LT is a luxury tourer and the ST is more a sports tourer, so your comparing apples to oranges....

Try comparing the ST to the new K1200GT, its an outstanding bike, GREAT for sports touring....

You need to go sit on them and take a test ride to decide,, Which ever one speaks to you buy.............Regards Pete
post #5 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:01 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
First of all Hi to one and all.

I'm looking for some advice on buying my next bike. I currently ride a 2002 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my wife usually rides pillion 95 % of the time. I've been very happy with the Trophy for the 3 years that I've owned it, but now I'm ready for a change to something else of a similar tourer style.

I'm considering one of the following choices, either a K1200LT or a newer Honda ST1300.

The ST is similar to my bike in size and weight, it's reliable, it holds it's price quite well, it wont cost an arm and a leg to service ( I don't do my own servicing ) and to be truthful it's really my 2nd choice . . JUST. . . . but I still like it.

The LT is heavier, it's more expensive to service and repair ( so I'm told ) but it has all the extra features I could possibly want and I think it's a stunning piece of machinery !

What do I do ? My head say's buy a Pan but my heart say's go for the LT !

I'd appreciate any help.

Good bait!

buy the Panhead..........

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:09 pm

You can buy a DVD on how to do normal service on the LT.

My wife and I test rode a few bikes.

This site has been a real asset for me. A lot of tips on how to maintain my LT.

Bob, 00LT
post #7 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:14 pm

I've heard the ST1300 give off a LOT of heat when running. Depending on where you live, it's something to consider.

Try them both and have your spouse with you.
post #8 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:35 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
.....I'm looking for some advice on buying my next bike. I currently ride a 2002 Triumph Trophy 1200 and my wife usually rides pillion 95 % of the time. ....

The LT is heavier, it's more expensive to service and repair ( so I'm told ) but it has all the extra features I could possibly want and I think it's a stunning piece of machinery ! ....
Howdy Seagull,

I would suggest you, or a Dealer rider, take your wife for a test ride on the LT. Since she rides on the back 95% of the time, her input is critical. Personally, I think the question is a "no brainer". The LT ( ssshhhh....along with the GW) is at the head of the class for pillion comfort. And as we all know, if the S.O. is happy, we're happy

I wouldn't let the weight of the LT bother you unless you're going to have a tough time reaching the ground while seated. Once underway on the LT the weight is .... well, not a big deal. It is a bit slower in acceleration and the turn-in is a bit slower due to the mass, but it's not going to be so slow that it's not going to be fun.

I've run my LT with ST's and they don't run away from the LT in the corners. It is true that they will stomp the LT in acceleration, but the LT has plenty of pull as a "heavy-sport tourer".

Regarding maintenance: I don't know what the ST costs for routine stuff, but I am familiar with the LT costs. I do my own regular servicing (with much appreciated guidance from fellow Posse members) and the cost for the parts is around $100. The lion's share of the cost for service is the labor for removing the "tupperware" so the real work can be done.

Even if you don't want to do your own wrenching, you probably can work a deal with your shop for you to remove the necessary panels before bringing it in for service and save the related labor.

Take care and I hope you and your wife enjoy whatever you choose.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #9 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:45 pm

If your wife rides with you two up most of the time, she will LOVE the LT and love you for buying it. Like all pieces of machinery, the LT has it's issues but for comfortable luxury touring with a big twist of sports tourer, it is my humble opinion that it can't be beat! My wife LOVES it and yours will too! I like the Gold Wing. But I think it is butt ugly, simple as that!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC
post #10 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:45 pm

If your wife has anything to say about this - and they usually do - mine went from "zero" riding to spending 10-11 hours a day seat time for five days and cant wait to go riding again. If your plan is alot of two up - long distance or not - its tough to beat the LT when you look at the big picture. Godd Luck on you decision.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
post #11 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:59 pm

LT or pan

Get a test ride and take SWMBO along. The other comment i have heard about the new Pan is the engine needs to be revved to get the power and that can be tiring 2 up on a long day. If test ride does not convince you then come up to Scotland and borrow mine for a weekend.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased
post #12 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:01 pm Thread Starter

What a great response, thanks to all of you for your input. I'm going to arrange a riide on the LT and we'll see how Jill and myself get along with it.

Many thanks.
post #13 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:15 pm

Thumbs up

Test rides dont lie,give them a call
post #14 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:16 pm

Cool

Stop it !!
You want an LT and life's too short.
Go for it , and never look back.

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

post #15 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:54 pm Thread Starter

I do don't I, maybe I should have posted this on a Pan forum, I'd still feel the same I think.
post #16 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 8:13 pm

I was called out to back one of our techs on a service call today. Rode my LT as is usual for me.

First comments from the client was about my bike. "Nice bike!" and the like. He'd just bought a brand spank'n new GW.

His wife asked if my lady rode with me and if so, how'd she like the wind.

"Wind?" I replied, "What wind?" My wife loves ride'n it - at any speed. I told how if she wants a different 'ventilation option', I hit the button and things change. They both reacted favorably to that, but the look she gave her husband... I think there's a history in there someplace I don't know 'bout.

Come to find out that she likes their new GW too - s'long as they dont' go over 40mph. And I'm sure I don't have the full story. Man, that look.....

Tate

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and

post #17 of 22 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:57 pm

Seagull, where you live will determine if the ST1300 is for you. I live in Tucson, Arizona where the summers can run 110 degrees for weeks on end. I used to own a 2005 ST and I sold it after getting 2nd. degree burns on my legs from the engine heat. It was blow torch hot when the ambient air went above 100 or so degrees. I finally got real tired of the water blisters up and down my legs even though I had been wearing good denim pants.

I've heard from many ST riders living in cooler climes that they have no problem with the heat and I have to agree with them. When the daytime temperatures in Southern Arizona were below 80 degrees I didn't have any heat problems either. However, heat problems aside the ST rides great and has the best brakes of any motorcycle I've ever owned and I've owned more than 40 in my lifetime.
post #18 of 22 Old Aug 4th, 2006, 8:02 pm Thread Starter

I picked up my 03 LT yesterday and it was a pleasurable ride home, other than the stop start traffic approaching the M40. I was quite apprehensive for the first 30 mins and felt as though the bike was a little too tall for me. I'm used to riding an 02 Triumph Trophy which has a much narrower seat.

I arrived back in York (UK) at 9.30 pm and had to attack the wooden gate on the drive with a saw as the LT is much wider than the previous bike, I can now reverse the BMW up a slope and into the garage without too much effort.
post #19 of 22 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 10:37 am

End of story!

Quote:
What a great response, thanks to all of you for your input. I'm going to arrange a riide on the LT and we'll see how Jill and myself get along with it.

Many thanks.
Take Jill and a deposit for the LT - you won't want to leave the dealer without it! Get them to throw in the matching custom pannier luggage set. This will clinch the deal in Jill's eyes!

Welcome to the LT touring group in advance!
Regards
Allen
post #20 of 22 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 11:29 am

hahah... I don't know exactly why, but this sounded great! "had to attack the wooden gate on the drive with a saw "...

You'll do fine....

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #21 of 22 Old Aug 5th, 2006, 12:34 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfell
hahah... I don't know exactly why, but this sounded great! "had to attack the wooden gate on the drive with a saw "...

You'll do fine....
Are you my long, lost brother? The mental picture was fantastic. I saw myself sitting in a lawn chair, with a cold glass of ice tea (mayhaps it shoulda been hot, considering location?) watching this gate being attacked with a saw. Two stroke style, accompanied with music. Hell, let's throw in the 8x10 color glossy's, with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back describing each one.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #22 of 22 Old Aug 6th, 2006, 1:33 am

Seagull,

I must concur with my fellow brethren that is is an individual decision that you you must make after carefully weighing the differences in the bikes. I had an ST 1100, that I thought was the most perfect bike for me UNTIL, I rode the LT with my wife on back.

I had a serious dilemma in deciding between the GT and LT, and the ST 1300 took a distant third, once the BMW were tested. For me, the bottom line of the decision took two factors:

1) My wife and I have NEVER been more comfortable on any bike, than we were on the LT. I have owned Gold Wings, ST's, Concours', and many others, but the LT is head and shoulders above all of them in comfort - TO ME!!!!!

2) My consideration of the LT also included the support that I had seen within these very pages of this site. I know that you have experienced it as well - Just look back at the promptness of replies form other LT owners to your initial query. I have been involved with no fewer than six other "ownership sites", and I have never experienced the sincere and timely responses that I have seen on this site. If you will simply peruse the archives of knowledge, expertly assembled here, you cannot help but be impressed with acumen at your disposal. In the rare instance that you cannot find the subject in the existing archival data, you also have a veritable plethora of extremely competent individuals standing by, anxiously awaiting the opportunity to be of service to one of their fellow LT owners.

These two were the selling points for me, and I hope that they help in making whatever the right decision is for you. The LT was the right way for me.

Good luck and best wishes,

John

BMWMOA #126325
2003 K1200LT- The Brown Buffalo
2000 VLX - The wife's
1999 Concours - Plum Crazy
1998 KX 250 + 4 others

Yesterday is history; Tomorrow is mystery,
Today is a gift from God......
That's why they call it "the present".

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in