Bike turns over but won't start - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Jan 1st, 2015, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Bike turns over but won't start

I tried to start my 2002 with 31k miles yesterday and it won't start. It turns over fine but won't even hint at starting. The battery is relatively new and was on a battery tender. I rode the bike last Saturday and it was running great. I have checked the fuel pump fuse and think I hear it priming when the ignition is turned on. The gas gauge shows 1/4 tank.
Most of the previous posts suggest a fuel line problem but I would like to know if there are other issues that I should check before removing the fairing.
Howard
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Jan 1st, 2015, 1:01 pm

Re: Bike turns over but won't start

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenhowie View Post
I tried to start my 2002 with 31k miles yesterday and it won't start. It turns over fine but won't even hint at starting. The battery is relatively new and was on a battery tender. I rode the bike last Saturday and it was running great. I have checked the fuel pump fuse and think I hear it priming when the ignition is turned on. The gas gauge shows 1/4 tank.
Most of the previous posts suggest a fuel line problem but I would like to know if there are other issues that I should check before removing the fairing.
Howard
A pretty good check to see if the bike has an in-tank fuel line problem is to remove the gas cap, shine a flashlight in there while you crank the engine. You should *not* see any fluid movement - if you do, then a hose has prolly slipped off a connector fitting. Good luck - and keep checking here for additional suggestions/info.
post #3 of 12 Old Jan 1st, 2015, 4:56 pm Thread Starter

Hey Dick, thanks for the response. I checked the fuel in the tank while cranking and it was flowing in one direction. Sounds like I have some wrenching to do. The good thing about it was it happened in my garage and not on the road.

post #4 of 12 Old Jan 1st, 2015, 5:05 pm

At this age, take an inventory of your hoses in there and probably they need to be replaced. Hey, while open why not do the filter also.
This happened to me about five hours after I did a filter change once. Don't use regular hose clamps in there either. Use high pressure fuel injection stuff. Also regular fuel hose will not work, needs to be submersible hose.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)
post #5 of 12 Old Jan 1st, 2015, 5:08 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

You can drain the fuel out through the return line until no more comes out on the center stand. Then move to the side stand and remove the rubbing strip (crash bar frame) and you can pull the pump out without removing the tank. Just need to remove the right side tupperware (upper and lower).

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 12 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 9:00 am Thread Starter

I pulled the fairing off and found that one of the fuel line disconnects had come apart. Pulled the tank and fuel pump and sure enough, the line had popped off the fuel filter. I replaced the filter and installed stainless hose clamps. Apparently when the disconnect came undone, the pump created more pressure than the pump clamp could endure and just blew it off. I'll put it back together when I can buy a new air filter. Thanks for help and a shout out to the Deputy for helping me pull the tupperware the first time making the task less daunting this time.
post #7 of 12 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 12:47 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
You can drain the fuel out through the return line until no more comes out on the center stand. Then move to the side stand and remove the rubbing strip (crash bar frame) and you can pull the pump out without removing the tank. Just need to remove the right side tupperware (upper and lower).
Did not know you could do this with the tank still on the bike. This is fantastic!

Glad you found your issue zenhowie. Once you get over taking off the tupperware, you realize the bike isn't so intimidating.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #8 of 12 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 1:53 pm

Use Oetiker clamps to handle the pressure. I bought this kit and they're great:
Amazon.com: Oetiker 18500060 Stepless 1-Ear Clamp Kit (Stepless Ear Clamps, stainless steel with standard jaw pincer): Industrial & Scientific

Good luck, Jim

Jim
2003 BMW K1200LT (my favorite 2 wheeled land yacht)
2008 Yamaha FJR1300 (recent addition)
1982 Yamaha Vision (long gone)
post #9 of 12 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 3:09 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim_McG View Post
Use Oetiker clamps to handle the pressure. I bought this kit and they're great:
Amazon.com: Oetiker 18500060 Stepless 1-Ear Clamp Kit (Stepless Ear Clamps, stainless steel with standard jaw pincer): Industrial & Scientific

Good luck, Jim
+1 on the Oetiker style clamps, I am one of these fools that buys BMW's clamps, I know they are one-time use only but they are so easy to install and be assured that you have the right amount of clamping pressure.

-Steve

2000 BMW K1200LT
2000 BMW R1200C
post #10 of 12 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 3:22 pm

You are not alone my friend.
I also use the stock BMW squeezum clamps. I've always had success with them.....
I believe the Beemer Dealers use them as we'll.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #11 of 12 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 4:39 pm

Garage

Only found them in the 100 pack but these are identical to the BMW clamps.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I've got my lifetime supply now.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #12 of 12 Old Jan 6th, 2015, 5:29 pm
Lifetime Supporter

If either of your quick connects comes loose with the pump running you will very likely pop a hose off or rupture the fuel line. The pressure regulator is at the end of the fuel rail and simply bleeds the excess pressure back into the tank. It's really just a spring loaded diaphragm set to 51 PSI.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in