The art of the downshift... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:00 am Thread Starter

Question The art of the downshift...

Lemme explain...

On several of the bikes I used to own (one of which I put over 100K on), I could (and would) downshift without using the clutch. Match the bike speed, engine speed and tap down. Not all the time, but a good portion of the deceleration times during a trip.

The LT I have now seems to do this quite nicely. I am still learning the power band of the LT and the idiosyncracies of the clutch, but it begs the question and it's one I have not found an answer to...

Can one downshift (4 to 3 or 3 to 2) while decelerating and not tap the clutch on the LT? Will it hurt the tranny on this thing?

I need input...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:12 am

There have been a couple of posts about tranny's failing. I don't know if there has been a final diagnosis at to what causes the failures.

My $.02 cents. Shifting carefully without the clutch isn't any more harmful than carelessly with the clutch. I.e. Down shifting and dumping the clutch and using the engine as brake in a rough manor.

Roy

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #3 of 3 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 1:11 pm

How much does a Transmission cost ?

I just wouldn't make a habit of shifting without the clutch...

It's there for a reason. To keep things from coming apart in the trans is only one of them...

Shifting under load has got to be more damaging to the trans than shifting without the load of the machine on it....hence the clutch...

jmtcw

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in