BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Reverser/starter wiring question

3K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  jzeiler 
#1 ·
Finishing replacing the ABS modulator on my 2006 K1200LT. The modulator removal procedure has you remove the starter/reverser controller.

When I went to reinstall it, I got the wiring confused and am not sure where the cables go. There are three large cables, two are black with yellow tracer- one with a tan sleeve around the lug and the other with a black sleeve around the lug. The third is black with a red sleeve around the lug.

Anyone with an '06 that can look and see where they go?

Thanks.

#3 ·
No No No. The one with the red sleeve goes to the battery +, the one with the brown sleeve goes to the ground tie point behind the battery. The last one (has a black sleeve) goes to the starter tie point behind the battery (the insulated one). This is the output of the reverser controller and drive the starter motor. If you try reversing with that grounded you can damage the controller.

Attachments

#4 ·
Well, I had it right the first time and it would not start. I switched the wiring to the wrong configuration before I read your reply and it did not work (not surprising).

I'll switch it back tomorrow and try again. If it does not work (which is expected, since it did not work the first time) do you have any suggestions? Bad battery? Does damage to the controller impair normal starting?

Thanks.

#5 ·
No it should start. Now did you completely remove the reverser? If so re check the barrel connector on the left side of the frame (part of the controller wiring). If it is not fully seated you will not start. The starter signal does go through that connector. There is a relationship between the starter and the controller as they both operate the starter but they need to be mutually exclusive. There fore they are interrelated and who is in charge is controlled but the F-R lever (and two micro switches).

#6 ·
Yes, I did remove the whole thing as per the RepRom procedure for replacing the ABS modulator.

Put the wiring back as you indicated- no joy. Checked the connectors with negative results. Just for grins, I pulled one of the connectors and tried to start. Did not work (of course), but the symptoms were different- the starter did not appear to engage.

Right now my bet is the battery. Battery voltage crashes down to 10.2-10.3 volts when trying to start. Charging does not help. Could be a poor connection, but all are tight and do not get warm.

Picking up a new battery in the morning.

#7 ·
Battery is it. The starter relay has a voltage sense circuit that stops it from attempting a start if the battery is below 12.2- 12.3 (never measured it) with the key on.

#8 · (Edited)
John,
I tested 11.9 volts a few times and the relay engaged normally (a 2002 with blue relay). I know that someone here has posted 11.5 volts as the low threshold value - this would be a good guess based on some of my tests.

P.S. for the OP (r_figueroa): to measure this relay "low" trigger value, turn Ignition ON (do NOT start), wait for 6 seconds, then take Voltage measurement at battery. Obviously during the starting phase, the Voltage will go lower than 11.5 volts.

#9 ·
Picked up a new battery yesterday- got tied up with other issues and a previously scheduled trip, so I did not get to try it until late today.

No joy. Battery voltage drops to 11.2-11.4 volts, indicating a large load is being applied, but I don't hear the starter running.

If I put 12V directly on the distribution post that has the black wire from the reverser controller, will that power up he starter? Could I have a bad starter relay?

I have a business trip and will be out of town until next weekend, so this will be on hold until then.

Thanks.

#10 ·
If you are seeing that drop after the key is turned then there may be an issue in the reverser controller. Try disconnecting the reverser lead from the battery and try again.

#12 ·
OK based on that remove all large black, black/yellow controller wires from the terminals they are connected to but leave everything else the same and try it again. That will eliminate a fried Controller if you get the same results. If still no joy then it would point to a faulty starter, but that is not likely as all you did was R & R the ABS. If this was not a new ABS I would also pull the connector on it as well.

#13 ·
Removed wires as suggested and tried it . No joy.

When pushing the starter button, I get 11.2/11.3 volts at the battery, 10.7/10.8 at the post where the starter is connected (where the blk/yel wire was hooked up). If this leads directly to the starter, it suggests the starter has failed.

#15 ·
I now don't think it's the starter. I realized I had confused the charger wires (I have two chargers, a big unregulated ferro-resonat, and a battery tender) and had not been charging the battery at all.

I put the big charger on, and tried it a few minutes later. it turned over once, then stalled.

Charging the battery now. Need to check connections as well.

#16 ·
Kept poking around and poking around. Found a ground cable that had not been reconnected to the main ground post- it had gotten pushed out of the way towards the back and was hiding.

Starts just fine.

Thanks to all for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.