1999 fuel leak - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 10:52 am Thread Starter

1999 fuel leak

So what do you guys make of this?

A week or two ago I wheeled Lorelei out of the garage to go visit a friend of mine, only to discover a large puddle had formed underneath her after she'd idled in the garage for for a minute or so while I found my friend in the GPS. I quickly shut her off, stuck my fingers in the puddle, and took a whiff. Gasoline. Swell.

After searching the FAQs and forums here I now know fuel leaks were more common among the quick-disconnects on the tanks of the 2001-2003 bikes, but I didn't discover anything about leaky fuel systems on a 1999.

Even stranger is this: I stripped her topless last night and cranked her up, hoping to get a bead on where the fuel might be coming from.

I got no leak at all. Everything worked as designed.

So I put her all back together (after doing some maintenance stuff I'd been meaning to unbutton the Tupperware for but had been putting off) and test-rode her. Still nothing. No leak at all.

Before I had wheeled her out of the garage on that fateful morning, she had sat idle for two weeks after two-and-a-half solid hours of high-speed highway riding. Could some expanding fuel somewhere in the fuel system be the culprit?

I'm baffled. As a hardware engineer, serious problems that magically go away frighten me--they always seem to come back at the most inopportune times (like right before the product delivery date).

Any thoughts, gang?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Gregory Pius
Portland, Oregon
'99 Canyon Red K1200LT Lorelei
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:23 am

Other than oil changes, I haven't worked on my bike one bit for some backgroud. I'm capable but the 2002 LTC is my car and I don't have the time to do anything but ride it (darn) Oh yeah, almost 70k miles on it.

However, coming home from St Louis last thurs/fri, jumped the bike fri morn to ride the rest of the way home and...gas!! pumping on the ground.

Had a 100 mile tow to Ft Wayne (Thanks Bob Woodson BMW, great folks there!!) and the tech found the QD was cracked.

Ok, so what....well, my mileage took a dive a couple months ago (to 30 MPH) and I just knew it was the O2 sensor...turns out it was just unplugged, that was causing gas smells on startup and inbetween.

Sooooo....what I think is that the O2 sensor problem may have masked the cracked fuel QD all that time (I was still getting small wiff's of gas here and there) and finally bit the dust.

Sooooo....who knows??? I had my bike at the dealer for service a couple of times but maybe it was a small crack that grew to total failure, not sure but its worth a thought. Maybe you have the same problem.

regards..geo
post #3 of 4 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 1:42 pm

Try moving the quick disconnects around and see what happens. Might have a small, hairline crack that flexed shut when you sat on the bike.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Grok

post #4 of 4 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 2:29 pm

My 99' had a fuel leak a few months back. I had started her up in the garage and cruised out on the driveway. Parked her for a few minutes and when I came back noticed a small puddle. Long story short, it was the fuel lines (I have no quick connects, but there are a couple of screw clamps and they became loose). Only leaked when I kind of moved the lines around when the bike was running. Tightened them up and no leak since.

If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans

Jerry P. Hatley

2007 R1200RT (Betty Lou)
2009 Harley Roadglide (sold)
2007 Goldwing (sold)
1999 BMW K1200LT (sold)
2004 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
2002 Harley Ultra Classic (sold)
1998 Harley Roadking Classic (sold)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in