Help !! - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 3:15 am Thread Starter

Help !!

I have a 02 k1200ltc and after riding home from Pa to VA in the pouring ran it has started cutoff at and idle. I thought maybe that the air filter had gotten wet but its still doing it. I'm new to BMW and don't know where to start any suggestions ps I love this bike 700 miles in two days and still rode to work monday
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 4:59 am

Sounds like the canister picked up some water. One or two of the canister hoses exit by the rear wheel in which it is easy to pick up the water. The only fix is to either remove the canister, or pay approximately $75 for a new one and have it happen again! Do a search for canister and you will find plenty to read.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 4:26 pm

Same thing happened to me. I was able to get a coat hanger and push it up through the rubber tube that extended off the back right part of the bike just under the right side bag. Push it up as far as it will go with a twisting action but dont psuh thru the plastic tube. Give it a few twists if its get stuck on a clog. Remove the coathanger and start the bike. The bike might be hardstarting and you might smell some gas but it will start and run fine til clogged again. The best thing is to remove the cannister as was suggested but this works until you get that done.
Jim

Jim in Dublin, OH

2005 - LT Ocean Blue (Catuffalo - Part Cat / Part Buffalo)
2002 - Moto Guzzi Cal Spec Sport
2000 - Moto Guzzi V11 Sport

post #4 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:59 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1200ltc
I have a 02 k1200ltc and after riding home from Pa to VA in the pouring ran it has started cutoff at and idle. I thought maybe that the air filter had gotten wet but its still doing it. I'm new to BMW and don't know where to start any suggestions ps I love this bike 700 miles in two days and still rode to work monday
Howdy Tony,

As Mike said, it sounds like a clogged cannister.

DO NOT RIDE THE BIKE until this corrected.

This problem can cause ALL sorts of grief that can be expensive to repair.

Without fear of a reasonable contradiction, you should immediately perform a CANISTERECTOMY.

I am not trying to scare you, but I had a clogged cannister and lost a fuel gauge which is pretty expensive, not to mention sitting on the side of the road out of gas due to faulty info. Fortunately the repair was under warranty. I'm guessing your '02 may not be covered, hence the URGENCY of the warnings.

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #5 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:05 pm

It is not hard to do

If you decide to pull the canister, just follow the directions and don't hesitate to call or ask if you have a question. I just pulled mine this past weekend and it is not hard to do.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #6 of 8 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:52 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone I will remove the canister in the morning. I have road about 200 miles since then what damage could have I done? It did not do it constantly only after 30 miles or so at a constant speed IE cruse control. I have no warranty I went to a hd open house with full intentions of buying an ultra and left with the LT and had an extra 17k in my pocket and a better built bike I love it !!!!!!!
post #7 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 3:49 pm
Rider Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk1200ltc
.... what damage could have I done? ....

....I went to a hd open house with full intentions of buying an ultra and left with the LT and had an extra 17k in my pocket and a better built bike I love it !!!!!!!
Howdy Tony,

After you get the canister removed, keep an eye on your fuel gauge to make sure it's reading properly for awhile. If it is accurate from Full to Empty then, most likely, there's nothing to worry about.

Since you asked, a fuel tank "collapse" is a possibility.....but the way you describe your adventure it would seem very unlikely.

Good call on getting the LT! Saving a bunch of money is just "icing on the cake"

Bill "Omaha"

"Life may have begun at 44, but it didn't get thrilling until I shot past 100"

'04 K1200LT "Dieter" Titan Silver, FB 4/23/04
'06 K1200R "Wolfgang" White Aluminum Metallic, FB 6/7/05

RCB AMA, BMWMOA, Booze Brother "in training"
CCR: '04 Breckenridge CO, '05 Jackson Lake Lodge WY, '06 Chateau Elan GA, '08 Midway UT

post #8 of 8 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 3:59 pm

As one who performed a canisterectony with the directions from this site only a few days ago, I can tell you that Billy is correct and my '02 runs great with no change in gas milage and I am a very happy guy. If you believe you should replace the canister rather that discard it, the part number is 16 13 1 464 924 and it sells for $38 at the dealer. The only thing else you need is a zip tie (BMW calls it a cable strap) because you have to cut the old one off with a pair of snippers or a sharp knife.

It is a very straightfoward procedure either way and I was amazed at all the stuff under the top case when I took it off!!!

Dave
Monkton, MD
and Pawleys Island, SC
2002 K1200LTC

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in