Oil leak - I think it's the rear main seal - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By deanwoolsey
  • 1 Post By beech
  • 2 Post By cealbrecht

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 12:53 pm Thread Starter

Oil leak - I think it's the rear main seal

I'm looking for some immediate good advise for my situation. I rode the bike a couple of days ago during temps in the low 30's after it had sat for nearly a month. This morning I wanted to take her out for another jaunt and I noticed that my poor girl was sick and dripping oil from the area of the center stand plate. She's always left on the center stand in the garage.

I didn't remove any plastic, but I was able to look under her carriage and I see that the oil appears to be coming from just behind the oil pan and it looks wet all the way up along the right side of the housing where the transmission attaches to the engine. There were oil drops hanging from both of the forward bolts that hold the protection plate onto the oil pan and the top of the protection plate was wet with oil as well.

My dilemma: I need to travel in a few days and I felt it was best to drain the oil from the engine as it seems that this was the main source of the garage floor contaminant. Is it okay to let the engine/bike sit for a little more than a month with very little lubricant inside? I don't have time to attack the cause of the issue right now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0291.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	71217   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0288.jpg
Views:	884
Size:	791.1 KB
ID:	71225  

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
2002 Chartreuse Yellow and Black BMW K1200LT Tickets
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Re: Oil leak - I think it's the rear main seal

Afraid so Chad, The oil blows by the Oring and into the clutch housing. I would not worry about the internal engine. You have some work to do when you return.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #3 of 17 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 4:35 pm

Won't hurt a thing to drain the oil. There is a huge set of threads on I-BMW.com on how to fix this. I have the special tools needed ready to lend, you pay the postage each way. In the tools is a new Viton Oring for your use no charge. The dealer will be glad to do this for about $1500. But the price goes up, your in there and will need to think about changing out all your transmission seals too. And any other wear parts. Between Clymer and the ibmw threads you can do it yourself but it is a big job. 20 hrs if you move along, 30 if your like me and look at everything....intake orings, throttle body seals, crankcase vent line, throttle cables. The bike really has to come apart to do this job. You will end up putting in new clutch friction disk as this is a lot of oil. You also need to check your clutch drive plate and driven plate. If any slipping has been going on they probably are warped. So you see this can really add up. But once that Viton oring is in there your set for life. Most everyone changes the rear main seal too, but this is seldom the leak.

Beech
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

post #4 of 17 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 5:31 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Letting it set without oil is no problem, but I recommend disconnecting the battery first. An ounce of prevention...............
beech likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 17 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 7:23 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Letting it set without oil is no problem, but I recommend disconnecting the battery first. An ounce of prevention...............
Thanks for the confirmations. That's what I needed to know. And Dean, I expect that my battery will be dead upon my return. Only a miracle would make it last for more than 3 weeks without any outsider activity.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Chad Albrecht
post #6 of 17 Old Dec 29th, 2014, 11:25 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by cealbrecht View Post
Thanks for the confirmations. That's what I needed to know. And Dean, I expect that my battery will be dead upon my return. Only a miracle would make it last for more than 3 weeks without any outsider activity.
It will be low but if you disconnect it not as bad as if you left it hooked up to the bike. When you get back a good smart charger should be on your list. It helps get that last bit of charge into the battery in many situations. I use one if I can't go for a multi hour ride every few days. This is a good one. Takes way too long to detail how a smart charger makes a huge difference but it does.
http://www.amazon.com/OptiMate-DUAL-...attery+charger

Beech

post #7 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 11:09 am

I'm not convinced that your engine oil leak is coming from the rear main seal. Or from within the clutch housing.
I would be sure, before unshipping the gearbox.

Have you drilled a weep hole at the bottom of the clutch housing?
If not, I would do that first & see what (if anything) comes out.

Your photo shows oil between the housing & the rear crank case, I believe that area is cast (not a split line).
Leak could be from on top of the engine. (Cracked crank case breather, for instance).

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT

Last edited by rhawk; Dec 30th, 2014 at 11:10 am. Reason: Edit
post #8 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 11:18 am

I don't think that you should drain the engine oil until you are ready to replace it.
If you do, it won't hurt it... But I strongly suggest that you put a tag on your ignition key that says "engine oil drained! Do not start!"

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #9 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 11:22 am

Chad, I am not going to be much help about fixing your bike but I can tell you about mine.
I got the pretty oil leak also, dripping out and running down the center stand. Makes a mess when you go for a ride. And it started three or four years ago. I do not have the ability to DIY on something like this so I keep ridding her. I know that the clutch will someday go but if I had the bike stripped down to fix a little seal, I would probably want to look around at all the other parts and wonder if it's time. The clutch is one of the items I would "want" to replace, even if it's still working.

I park my bike on the centerstand on a piece of old carpet to keep the garage floor clean.
When I change the oil, I drain out 3+ quarts and add around four. I have never had a low oil light come on.

I am NOT telling you to keep ridding her and everything will be OK. I am just saying that "I" am going to keep ridding until my clutch goes and then worry about it. Other then a mess on the lower back of the bike, I am not causing any more damage.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #10 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 11:26 am

Draining engine oil is not needed. It does not leak (more) when bike is standing idle. Of course the oil in the clutch housing seeks its way out but no more will be entered there (and the oil possibly in clutch housing won't come out when draining the engine) when bike is standing still. Most likely the leak is not the main seal but the O-ring.

Born to be wild so why not

post #11 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 4:19 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone. I will update the thread again this spring when I have some time to invest in troubleshooting. She's never dropped any oil before, so this a new one for me. It's definitely oil and it wasn't a little spot, but more like a small puddle.

Thanks again for the advise and offer of tooling, etc. I love this forum.

Wish me luck and keep Tickets in your prayers....

Have a safe and happy New Year.

Chad Albrecht
post #12 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 4:47 pm

Chad,
One question before you go....
Do you have the weep hole in the clutch housing?
Just a curiosity.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #13 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 5:41 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhawk View Post
Chad,
One question before you go....
Do you have the weep hole in the clutch housing?
Just a curiosity.
No. I may be wishing that I did.....

We will see.

Chad Albrecht
post #14 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 5:50 pm

Start there.
Good luck to you Buddy.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #15 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 7:38 pm

I sent Chad this link:
GregRS's journey into seal territory - I-BMW.com
This is for any other readers out there facing the same problem. The oil generally shows up as a stain on the right side of the bike at the engine/transmission/adapter piece junction.
cealbrecht likes this.

Beech

post #16 of 17 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 8:59 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Even though the transmission to intermediate case joint is not sealed it will hold at least a pint of oil! I found this out when I pulled the transmission on CWO's bike a few weeks ago. I did not think it would hold that much, and was not expecting to see oil pour out.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #17 of 17 Old May 6th, 2015, 10:45 pm Thread Starter

Just an update: I think my leak was coming from the timing chain cover in the front. I tightened all the screws on the cover and just about everything else that could leak. Then I added some engine sealant goop from Wal-mart. After riding around for a while, I noticed the puddles getting smaller and smaller. They have now stopped and there still seems to be adequate oil remaining in the engine. I'm coming due for another oil change soon, and I think I will go another round with the engine sealant for my own sanity. I'll let you know if she starts marking her territory again.

I want to thank everyone for the advice and especially for the kind offer of specialized tooling. Thank you, thank you.
Patric and that_guy11 like this.

Chad Albrecht

Tags
oil engine leak

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in