Water wetter - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:27 pm Thread Starter

Water wetter

Got some good riding in a couple of weeks ago, lots of mountains, twisties and the wife stayed home, she scares easy in turns. Had a real good time tossing it in and out of turns.

At one of the breaks, came out and found a puddle of blue liquid under it. Still had plenty in the resivour so didn't get concerned. A couple of breaks later and another puddle. It was a hot day and I was pushing it a little hard, mainly running in 1st and second between 4 and 7000 rpm and didn't cool it off much before stopping. Temperature hand never got close to red, maybe 3/4 of the way up.

Going to add some Water Wetter when I top it off before the next ride and see if it makes any difference. Label says to use 1 oz per quart of coolant. Means I'll have a lot left over. Good I read the label carefully, was considering adding the whole bottle.

Anybody use this stuff and how did it work?

Any significance to it puking out some coolant? It was right at the "cold" level when I started out.

B D R
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:32 pm

Shouldn't be "pukin".. might be a problem with your radiator cap not holding pressure.. but first need to know where it's all coming from.

What was last time you serviced the coolant?

Water Wetter seems to do a good job of increasing heat transfer... but need to get the other stuff squared away...?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:48 pm

Gunny,

You might want to do some research before adding water wetter. It is used mostly in race applications where only water is allowed as a coolant. Ethylene Glycol already wets water and some people have had problems adding it to ethylene glycol.

A better coolant is Propylene Glycol. Completely miscible with ethylene glycol and water, supposedly cools better, is environmentally safe and less corrosive to your engine should the coolant work its way there via a leak.

It is available as Engine Ice, which is a 50% water mix and is about $20 per 1/2 gallon. A better route would be AMSOIL https://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ant.aspx or other brands 100% Propylene Glycol which is about $25 a gallon and dilute to 70% with deionized water.

post #4 of 9 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:14 pm

I would stay with BMW brand coolant - your problem is most likely a bad radiator cap, hose(s) or clamp. Bite the bullet and replace all of them at the same time for peace of mind. You don't need to buy a BMW "brand" cap - an off the shelf "mini cap" will do just fine as long as it is the proper bar. The reason for staying with the BMW brand coolant is chemical compatiblity - why risk a potential unknown reaction for a couple of bucks? You can get two changes out of 1 gallon.

Water wetter is NOT compatible with any other coolant, you need to flush the system multiple times with distilled water to remove any traces of old coolant before installing it. It is very effective at lowering maximum temperatures but provides absolutely no freeze protection. The water pump lubricating qualities of water wetter have been called into question in the past. I've used it in my VERY hot running RX7 twin turbo for years with no problems. It is pretty much a "race specific" product.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Like Butt-ahh!"

Last edited by RonKMiller; Jul 25th, 2006 at 9:19 pm.
post #5 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 7:48 am

wetter water

hi gunney. don't know anything about wetter water.the SO and i on vacation last summer stoped in deming NM the bike puked aprox. cup of water.went on to tucson. had the bike serviced there (was due) talked to the service manager he said there has been one or two recalls on radiator caps. they installed a new one at that time no charge no problem since. still looking forward to that cup of coffee. dan
post #6 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 11:59 am

Gunney,
Yes I used water wetter in my CBR racing bikes for years...Very good product ! Purpose for racing from my view. We never mixed it with coolant.. My experience is we only use distilled water, that could be because for the race tracks tech inspections did not let coolant on race surfaces. Yes if you are going to try this follow the instructions...You will have plenty of extra left over.. also another point, this stuff is VERY Corrosive! Do NOT let it sit if you park the bike for along period of time always drain this stuff...It will eat most metals....

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #7 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 12:25 pm

Coni recently had a major coolant loss issue, dealer found a failed radiator cap, replaced it and no more problems.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #8 of 9 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 9:21 pm Thread Starter

The directions on the water wetter indicate that it is OK to use with all types on anti freeze. Think I'l sleep on it, change the radiator cap and see what happens before I pour some in.

Thanks for all the advice.

B D R
post #9 of 9 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 5:54 pm

There was a run of bad radiator caps, somewhere around 03 or 04. If your cap is not the newest part number, it is probably leaking, usually out of the overflow tank.

Paul Ford
01 R1150GS
90 K1200
73 R75/2

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in