Just emptied my wallet for tires and 24K maint kit - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 10:30 am Thread Starter

Garage
Talking Just emptied my wallet for tires and 24K maint kit

Well I guess it is that time of year. I can't ride as much as I would like due to the weather. I don't mind riding in the rain, but it kind of sucks when its all day for days on end. Takes the fun out of the ride.
So, I ordered some stuff. Tires are getting down to the point I feel they need replacing. I have around 10K on the Metz combo and they were OK, but not good on tar snakes. After much internal debate and reading about 40 tire threads, I decided on BT-020 (79V) for the rear and Metz 880 (58V) front. I guess time will tell if I made the right choice, I hope so, I listened to you all.
I ordered the fuel line kit a month back and then I ordered the 24K service kit from Beemer Boneyard. I also installed a 55W 5000K HID kit 2 weeks ago, very nice.
So, about $400 poorer, but the LT should be ready for the year of riding. I guess it is OK, if I paid the dealer for all of this I would be thousands poorer.
Time to roll it up on the new HF Motorcycle lift and get to work.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 12:56 pm

Garage
Re: Just emptied my wallet for tires and 24K maint kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
So, about $400 poorer, but the LT should be ready for the year of riding. I guess it is OK, if I paid the dealer for all of this I would be thousands poorer.
I'm right there with you. Been doing a lot of work and installing a lot of upgrades. Sometimes I think about the money going into it but then quickly realize how much I am saving over taking it to the dealer. Another positive is I know exactly how it is being worked on. Not all guys wrenching at some of the shops take the care an owner will on his own bike.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

Last edited by rdepas; Dec 24th, 2014 at 4:22 pm.
post #3 of 8 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 3:55 pm Thread Starter

Garage

I figure it is not too bad, I have put 9K miles on this bike since July 5th and this is the first real money I have had to spend on it. I have done oil changes and some other fluids, but nothing else.
I love this bike an it is worth spending a little on. I would have had to put that or more into a car + twice the gas and half the fun of the LT.

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!”

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #4 of 8 Old Dec 25th, 2014, 1:52 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Well Merry Christmas to me, I just ordered a new First Gear Winter riding suit and a new Modular helmet. Should help me keep the riding season going a little bit longer.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #5 of 8 Old Dec 26th, 2014, 7:57 am

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmopars View Post
Well Merry Christmas to me, I just ordered a new First Gear Winter riding suit and a new Modular helmet. Should help me keep the riding season going a little bit longer.
Sounds better than my $200 worth of parts that I just ordered for my 2005, but I was happy to get them on sale so save a few bucks.

Enjoy the new gear. FirstGear makes some nice stuff. What helmet did you go with? I currently have a Scorpion EXO900 modular. Been a good helmet.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #6 of 8 Old Dec 26th, 2014, 1:30 pm

Hi,

Where are you located? I'm in Washougal, WA (near Vancouver, WA) and work in Portland. I have been waiting until the weather gets really bad to do my winter maintenance. Have the kit (plugs, air/fuel filter, etc.) but not looking forward to tearing her down to get to those things. Plus I still ride to work as 2-3 times per week.

I also just went to a modular helmet w/Bluetooth and am pretty happy with it. Very convenient. I do get weird looks when I'm at a red light in the morning, flip up my helmet and take a few sips of coffee from my travel mug but that's okay.

I too have a First Gear two piece suit and it has worked well in the wet weather. Just added a First Gear heated jacket liner with wireless remote and it like it better than the heated vest I was using (only two rides with it so far).

Anyway, if you want to get together sometime and do some riding let me know. I normally head south or east, but have been thinking about exploring up north at some point (Orcas Island this summer most likely). Also planning a long trip to Tahoe towards the end of summer.

Chris
post #7 of 8 Old Dec 26th, 2014, 4:26 pm

Garage

I come down ever so often from Yakima. My adult kids live in Vancouver and always looking for an excuse to visit. Always a nice ride over Satus Pass and down the gorge.

Will have to connect for a ride this coming year.

Rev Ed
2015 R1200RT "Ebony" (Black Cherry)
2007 R1200RT (replaced aging FJR 1300)
2005 Crossfire Roadster
post #8 of 8 Old Dec 28th, 2014, 11:17 pm Thread Starter

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlrrp View Post
Hi,

Where are you located? I'm in Washougal, WA (near Vancouver, WA) and work in Portland. I have been waiting until the weather gets really bad to do my winter maintenance. Have the kit (plugs, air/fuel filter, etc.) but not looking forward to tearing her down to get to those things. Plus I still ride to work as 2-3 times per week.

I also just went to a modular helmet w/Bluetooth and am pretty happy with it. Very convenient. I do get weird looks when I'm at a red light in the morning, flip up my helmet and take a few sips of coffee from my travel mug but that's okay.

I too have a First Gear two piece suit and it has worked well in the wet weather. Just added a First Gear heated jacket liner with wireless remote and it like it better than the heated vest I was using (only two rides with it so far).

Anyway, if you want to get together sometime and do some riding let me know. I normally head south or east, but have been thinking about exploring up north at some point (Orcas Island this summer most likely). Also planning a long trip to Tahoe towards the end of summer.

Chris
I would love to get together for a ride, I happen to have a very open schedule right now. I have been wanting to explore the Olympic Penn. I plan to get out there some time soon. One of the reasons for the new gear. The Helmet is an IV2 Dual Visor Modular.

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in