Stop it! Make it stop! Please! Done!! (brake squeel) - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Stop it! Make it stop! Please! Done!! (brake squeel)

I did the EBC rear pads - that helped for a bit, till the pads wore out (less than 10K miles). Put the OEM pads back in - rear sings again!
Now the fronts are sing'n to the cheap seats as well. ARG!!!

So - I whipped out the ol plastic and now I'm getting new:

EBC rear disk
EBC HH sintered rear pads
EBC HH sintered front pads (2 sets)

Chances are the HH pads'll wear the front disks (EDIT: FALSE!! see below) - but, I'm look'n for an excuse to put the EBC front disks up there anyway - someday. (EDIT: gonna have to find another excuse)

Now - hopefully, they'll arrive in time for this weekends Technofixit Gathering... (doubtful - what I get for effective planning)

Parts and 'express' shipping from BikeBandit.com $230 and change (W/AMA discount). I've heard good things 'bout these parts - so here's hoping. Wish me luck or send ear plugs!

Tate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

02 Mauve - my 'Light Truck'
Wyoming Immigration Officer, Cyberhiway tour guide and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zotter; Jul 25th, 2006 at 2:35 pm.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 2:21 pm

The HH pads do not wear out rotors! I used EBC HH pads on the rear most of the miles on my bike, the rear rotor was still just fine at 120,000 miles.

If EBC has not started supplying the FA407HH pads instead of the FA246HH for the front, you may not like them. The FA246 pads do not have the anti-rattle springs, and the pads rattle incessantly over rough surfaces when the brakes are not applied. They say that the FA407HH pads will replace the FA246HH when stock runs out.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 2:39 pm

I just put the EBC rotor on the rear and mine does not squeal..

Actually I had all the squeal problems until I but a 'Wheaties' box cutout between the pad and the pistons.. Try it.. takes 20 minutes from start to stop unless you have to go buy a box of cereal..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 4:11 pm Thread Starter

Jack, you did that with your EBC kit or the OEM stuff?

I'd bet Cherios would work as well - but I doubt Fruit Loops would cut it.

Tate

post #5 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 7:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zotter
Jack, you did that with your EBC kit or the OEM stuff?

I'd bet Cherios would work as well - but I doubt Fruit Loops would cut it.
Actually I did it with the OEM rotor a few years ago after I had it replaced them (didn't work) and then bought the EBC pads (didn't work) and didn't want to go with the red goop (a.k.a Disk Brake Quiet) because if it didn't work I had to deal with that mess.

I read it here on some post about using an old mechanic trick from when disk brakes came out years ago.. I thought it was worth a shot. Hell it's cheap enough and very quick. I found that I could pretty much get a season out of a set of Wheaties box shims.. Last time I renewed my shims used a 'coated' box from a box of Popsicles. They are holding up real well as the rain doesn't get them soaked. Prolly any frozen food box will do.. I just have good access to that type of box. My wife replaces the box when it disappears from the freezer...

I changed my rotor because it was clanging.. the rotor loosened up. I didn't realize how much noise I was making till I replaced it. I used the same pads I had on the OEM rotors.. the EBCs.... they were fine and hardly worn. I noticed a little less braking up initially but EBC recommended a break in period of a few hundred miles. No panic stops to set the brakes... etc... Now everything is back to normal.. great braking and no squealing and no clanking... just dealing with new issues with the smartire system I just installed..

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 1:52 am Thread Starter

ARGH!! as of tonite - both pairs of front pads and the rear rotor are on 'Backorder' from BikeBandit.com

So much for paying extra for the 'express' shipping...

Tate

post #7 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:20 am
was

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The HH pads do not wear out rotors! I used EBC HH pads on the rear most of the miles on my bike, the rear rotor was still just fine at 120,000 miles.

If EBC has not started supplying the FA407HH pads instead of the FA246HH for the front, you may not like them. The FA246 pads do not have the anti-rattle springs, and the pads rattle incessantly over rough surfaces when the brakes are not applied. They say that the FA407HH pads will replace the FA246HH when stock runs out.
Are you guys psychic? I'm cruising around the site trying to ignore the fact that I should be replacing the front brake pads with the EBCs that just arrived. (I did the EBC rear pads about 2 weeks ago, but forgot that I need 2 sets for the front and only ordered one, so I've been waiting for the new order to come in.) After reading David's post I looked in the shipping box: the fronts are still part number FA246HH. I'm gonna put them in, but if they rattle I'll get the FA407HH as soon as they come out. OK, no more lollygagging, on to the bike!

Bill
Guilford, CT
'99 Canyon Red K1200 LT - Buddah Bike
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 11:58 am

Tech session

Zotter I wish I knew you were doing a tech session this weekend. I already made plans to help a friend side his house; then it's off to Colorado for a train ride through the Royal Gorge.

I'm always looking to turn wrenches. Hey Friend give me a holler next time. I'm only 2 hours and 15 minutes from your place. Have fun, Tom
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 4:54 pm

I have always used the CRC Moly Brake Lubrication on the back of the pads as well as where the pins slide through. I have stock BMW everything (Brembo Calipers). I have over 6000 miles without a peep on front an rear.

If you ride in the rain or wash your wheels alot, the lubrication may deteriorate to where it 'dries out'. I hand clean my wheels without a hose touching them.

Good Luck!

-Larry

2005 BMW K1200LT Blue
BMWMOA #124788

Predecessor:
1999 K1200LT (entered the BMW "organ donation program" on 6/2/11) 38,256 Miles
post #10 of 10 Old Aug 16th, 2006, 3:36 pm Thread Starter

WhooHooo!

BikeBandit.com says all my parts should be here this Friday! Then we'll see, boy-howdy, then we'll see! Or hear that is - better yet, NOT hear!

When folks say some of this kit can be a tad titchy to find, they ain't kid'n.

Tate

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in