Lets talk RPM's and clutch performance... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:37 am Thread Starter

Lets talk RPM's and clutch performance...

I just got back from a 1,400 mile ride to the black hills. It was absolutely wonderful, but of course I noticed new and exciting things to ask about the LT while I was there.

1. It seemed to me that the clutch was noisy from 3,000 to about 3,200 RPM's. What is the cruising RPM's everyone rides with here? Is this a possible clutch problem? The noise sounds like the throw out bearing in a car when it runs a too low of an RPM (hence the question).

2. What mileage did people see from their Stock tires? I have about 5,000 in 2.5 months right now, and they are starting to look a bit worn.

3. I noticed a distinct lack of luggage space on the bike. I know I can remove the trunk, but my wife would be awful angry if the heated seats went away. Are there any suggestions as to a good tank bag? Should I just get the BMW bag?

Thanks as always. Your help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:42 am

your clutch makes noise??? how can you hear it....? I suspect its your tires humming.

F
post #3 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:38 am Thread Starter

My clutch sort of rattles like there is not enough pressure or a bearing is bad. It only happens below 3200 RPM's though. I know it is the clutch because:

1. When I rev the bike in neutral up to 3k RPM I do not hear it.
2. When I pull in the Clutch while it is occurring I do not hear it.

Based on further research here it looks like the fix is to ride at higher RPM's and forget about it.

But, I hate to be less than thorough.

post #4 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:51 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
I just got back from a 1,400 mile ride to the black hills. It was absolutely wonderful, but of course I noticed new and exciting things to ask about the LT while I was there.

1. It seemed to me that the clutch was noisy from 3,000 to about 3,200 RPM's. What is the cruising RPM's everyone rides with here? Is this a possible clutch problem? The noise sounds like the throw out bearing in a car when it runs a too low of an RPM (hence the question).
Not likely clutch, as there is nothing to make noise if the clutch is engaged. The "throw out" bearing is a very small bearing in the end of the slave cylinder piston, less than half inch diameter. You are probably hearing exhaust system vibrations.
Quote:
2. What mileage did people see from their Stock tires? I have about 5,000 in 2.5 months right now, and they are starting to look a bit worn.
This is highly variable, depending on how one rides, which tires, road surfaces, bike loading, etc. I think the AVERAGE is about 10,000 miles. I got about 8-9,000 front/12-14,000 rear on BT020 radials. Metzelers get better front mileage, but did not suit me for other reasons.
Quote:
3. I noticed a distinct lack of luggage space on the bike. I know I can remove the trunk, but my wife would be awful angry if the heated seats went away. Are there any suggestions as to a good tank bag? Should I just get the BMW bag?
I liked the Chicane bag made especially for the LT far better than any other available option. Marsee also makes a nice one, but do not make one specially fitted to mount to the oddments box lid, you have to improvise a little. I did not like the RKA one I had before getting the Chicane, and the BMW one is too small for me.
Quote:

Thanks as always. Your help is appreciated.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #5 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:14 pm

The Kathy rack bag has helped me a lot when my wife rode with me on trips. I could move lighter items like rain gear lite clothing and bike cover to the rack bag to make room for curling irons (2), blow dryer, makeup, more makeup, shoes (several pair), lighted makeup mirror and on and on.
Around $100.00 - I think - its been a couple of years. Seems to be well made and water proof.

Lee Nowell
Black 01, LTC
BMWRA & MOA, AMA, IBA
post #6 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:32 pm

I have the ZTechnic rack on my top case and the previous owner gave me the Magsbags carrier that fits it. It's great. Plenty of extra room, expandable,velcros onto the rack really securely and has a raincover included. Take a look at them on their website: http://www.magsbags.com.

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #7 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:42 pm

space bags work great for adding a lot of extra clothes,,,42 psi in the front 48 psi in the rear you should get 15-20,000 miles out of a set of tires all loaded up, cruise along all day at 75 mph
post #8 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 5:51 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowoc
What is the cruising RPM's everyone rides with here?
I'm a new rider and I'm wondering the same thing. RPM shift points, etc?
post #9 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 6:50 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiekiel
I'm a new rider and I'm wondering the same thing. RPM shift points, etc?
The LT really does not like anything below 3000, except when just cruising along at low throttle settings in fuel saving mode.

If you are past the first 600 miles or so, try keeping it above 3000, or even 3500, shifting at around 5000 if just riding around, 7000 plus if in the twisties having fun.

You will find pretty quickly that this fat lady loves to sing!

The biggest mistake for people coming from big V-twins is shifting WAY too early, wasting most of the powerband of the K engine. It just starts to get happy around 4000!

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #10 of 13 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 6:50 pm

rpm

3500 or above....................

Allan..Illinois, Oregon, Arkansas, and tomorrow the Universe
2003 K1200LT trike - Starfighter
2004 R1150RTP - Combat Touring
IBA #38152
BMW-MOA 97667
Patriot Guard Riders
...and man of leisure

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 12:06 am Thread Starter

Dave,

I think your right about the exhaust noise. I was messing around today trying all this stuff out and of course it helped some. The bike was definitely happier with the RPM's up around 3500. It also seemed the clutch was holding pretty well.

How would I track down the exhaust noise? Do I need to pull the tupperware, or is there a usual culprit to this issue?

I really love this bike but man that noise is annoying.

Thanks for all the help.
post #12 of 13 Old Jul 27th, 2006, 7:51 pm

Just head down this way, and we can take a look! (for the noise that is..)
post #13 of 13 Old Jun 3rd, 2007, 1:38 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
The biggest mistake for people coming from big V-twins is shifting WAY too early, wasting most of the powerband of the K engine. It just starts to get happy around 4000!
Thank you very much. You nailed it on the head for me. Afraid I was going to tear the thing up. Onward to higher revs I go!

K1200LT
Concours 14

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in