Battery drain and HID's - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 2:02 am Thread Starter

Battery drain and HID's

So I installed some DDM HID's about a week ago but have not had a chance to ride the bike since given weather and work requires my need to transport some gear. I have owned the bike about 3 months and I have been riding it every day. This week has been the first week it has sat for more than 36 hours without being ridden since I purchased it.

I go to start the bike this morning and I get one or two turns out of the starter and that's it. The engine will not start. I check the voltage. 12.4 volts before the HID turns on, 11.4 once the light turns on. Obviously 11.4 is not enough to start. Battery came with the bike.. looks to be about 3 years old and previous owner said he got it off some 3rd party website. I was planning to replace it soon.

Previous to the HID installation there was always a small hesitation on start. I attributed this to a low CCA on the battery but never really looked into it as it is my daily driver. I put the bike on a battery tender for 3 days and I got the voltage up to 13.1v and the bike did start, but after leaving the bike off the charger overnight and then checking again showed 12.4v before HID.

Am I correct to think failing battery or should I look elsewhere? I also have the alternating ABS lights on first key turn. Having never before owned a bike with ABS it's not really a feature that I need to ride, but I should get it working eventually. I have checked and purged fluid as well as changing the ABS fuse. I have not yet done the ABS reset with the 21 pin, but it was on my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 4:09 am

Garage
Re: Battery drain and HID's

sounds like battery to me, crook cell probably. mine starts up to 2 weeks being parked no tender

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 9:16 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnarf View Post
So I installed some DDM HID's about a week ago but have not had a chance to ride the bike since given weather and work requires my need to transport some gear. I have owned the bike about 3 months and I have been riding it every day. This week has been the first week it has sat for more than 36 hours without being ridden since I purchased it.

I go to start the bike this morning and I get one or two turns out of the starter and that's it. The engine will not start. I check the voltage. 12.4 volts before the HID turns on, 11.4 once the light turns on. Obviously 11.4 is not enough to start. Battery came with the bike.. looks to be about 3 years old and previous owner said he got it off some 3rd party website. I was planning to replace it soon.

Previous to the HID installation there was always a small hesitation on start. I attributed this to a low CCA on the battery but never really looked into it as it is my daily driver. I put the bike on a battery tender for 3 days and I got the voltage up to 13.1v and the bike did start, but after leaving the bike off the charger overnight and then checking again showed 12.4v before HID.

Am I correct to think failing battery or should I look elsewhere? I also have the alternating ABS lights on first key turn. Having never before owned a bike with ABS it's not really a feature that I need to ride, but I should get it working eventually. I have checked and purged fluid as well as changing the ABS fuse. I have not yet done the ABS reset with the 21 pin, but it was on my list.
From another post you did, I see that you have a 1999 model. Unless upgraded later, these have original "simple" starter-relay from factory, so you should NOT make any more starting attempt when you know battery is weak.

On these, the starter-relay contacts can weld together (with weak / low battery voltage) and you will need to act quickly and manually disconnect main wires from battery under seat. The ignition Key will have no more effect in such scenario.

There is more to battery load testing than this simple test, but you should have 12 volts (or a bit more) with ignition ON just BEFORE starting (lights and accessories are pulling some current obviously in this state).

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
-------------------------------------------------
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."

Last edited by sailor; Dec 23rd, 2014 at 9:33 am.

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 10:15 am Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies.

Sailor. Can you provide more information? I'm searching starting problems within the forum but as I'm sure you can imagine, there are quite a few and most problems come back to the battery if not fuel issues. As stated, with the bike in the on position and ready to start, the battery is showing 11.4v. This is with lights on and everything going. If i move the the key from unlocking the forks to the first click, it shows 12.4v. I tested this both with a meter on the battery and a tester connected to the accessory port on the passenger seat. My guess is a dead cell within the battery, an issue that was compounded by the addition of a higher drawer item being added (HID)

Again, this issue didn't come up until I added the HID system which does have a higher current draw than the standard bulb. Given the age of the battery and the previous owners omission that it was a cheap battery combined with information that the alternating ABS lights issue can be caused by low voltage, i felt fairly confident that the battery should be looked at eventually.

Last edited by Ksnarf; Dec 23rd, 2014 at 10:24 am.
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 12:22 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

That voltage with the key on is too low. It should be above 12.4 if you have a good battery. The fact that it was 13.1 after the tender but then shortly later with the key on 11.4. It is on its way out I am afraid. A good fully charged battery should read 12.7 with no load, and with the key on it should not drop below 12.4. It will go lower during cranking but that is normal.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 7:37 pm Thread Starter

Thanks everyone for the replies, I will be ordering a new battery from Varta. I hope everyone has a wonderful holiday!
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 7:55 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Very simple and inexpensive way to tell if you need a new battery.......... jump start it with a car battery and see if it acts normal.
Won't hurt it a bit and you'll know for certain if your battery is weak.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in