Just installed Avon Storm 3D X-M Tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Notahog
  • 1 Post By 14wntr

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 7:06 pm Thread Starter

Just installed Avon Storm 3D X-M Tires

Just installed Avon Storm 3D X-M tires and all I can say is WOW! I have been trying for months to decide on which tire I was going to replace the Metz with and I decided on the Avons. Well had them installed this afternoon and after a careful road test (new tires and it was raining), I can tell a world of difference, of course I know I am comparing Old tires vs. New but I have not forgotten what the Metz felt like when they were new. I will try to update as we go along. But thank everyone who has piped in with information and helped me make up my mind. Also hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
cws likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 8:19 pm

Re: Just installed Avon Storm 3D X-M Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
Just installed Avon Storm 3D X-M tires and all I can say is WOW! I have been trying for months to decide on which tire I was going to replace the Metz with and I decided on the Avons. Well had them installed this afternoon and after a careful road test (new tires and it was raining), I can tell a world of difference, of course I know I am comparing Old tires vs. New but I have not forgotten what the Metz felt like when they were new. I will try to update as we go along. But thank everyone who has piped in with information and helped me make up my mind. Also hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Would appreciate pictures of thread pattern AND the marking on side (for weight certification). Thanks!

-------------------------------------------------
John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #3 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 8:43 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Would appreciate pictures of thread pattern AND the marking on side (for weight certification). Thanks!
Go to American Motorcycle Tire - American Motorcycle Tire look up size 160/70-17 for rear (79V) and 120/70 -17 (58W) for front. Then look at the Avon Storm 3D X-M tires. They have a good picture of tires and specs. If this does not work, let me know and I will be glad to send pictures but it will be a few days since I will be away from home.

post #4 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 8:52 pm

What pressures are you using in the front and rear tires? I installed a set of the same tires last month and concur with your assessment - Wow! The Avons "felt" much nicer than the Metzlers.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
post #5 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 8:56 pm

Quote:
Go to American Motorcycle Tire - American Motorcycle Tire look up size 160/70-17 for rear (79V) and 120/70 -17 (58W) for front. Then look at the Avon Storm 3D X-M tires. They have a good picture of tires and specs. If this does not work, let me know and I will be glad to send pictures but it will be a few days since I will be away from home.
Found the picture on Web site mentionned - thanks!

Also found good pictures on REVZILLA.com:
Avon Storm 3D X-M Tire - RevZilla

John (Montreal, CANADA)
K1200RS (2002 IceBlue/Red - 96,000 miles)
Think twice before you hit [SUBMIT REPLY] - famous quote by another member:
"The value of this board is not founded on dismissing the ideas of others, but by posting to share our experiences and what we've learned from them."
post #6 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 10:30 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

I'll bet they stick like glue but how long will they last? Waiting...

Wish they made a Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT for the LT. I have them on my K1300GT and just love them.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 20 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 10:42 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fun Bobby View Post
What pressures are you using in the front and rear tires? I installed a set of the same tires last month and concur with your assessment - Wow! The Avons "felt" much nicer than the Metzlers.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
Someone on forum said 42 front 45 rear so that is what I am going to start with.
post #8 of 20 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 9:25 am

Quote:
Someone on forum said 42 front 45 rear so that is what I am going to start with.
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the 42 front, 45 rear was a rule of thumb for Metzlers. Check the sidewall note on the Avon's front and rear. Mine state 42 PSI max pressure cold.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	276
Size:	1.34 MB
ID:	70889  
post #9 of 20 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 11:03 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post

Wish they made a Michelin Pilot Road 4 GT for the LT. I have them on my K1300GT and just love them.
John the Avon storm for the LT have worked well for me in the past. VG wet weather tire and good on the juicy tar snakes.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #10 of 20 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 11:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Perhaps I'm mistaken, but I thought the 42 front, 45 rear was a rule of thumb for Metzlers. Check the sidewall note on the Avon's front and rear. Mine state 42 PSI max pressure cold.

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
Ok I will check and will probably run 42 front and 42 rear. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
post #11 of 20 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 11:06 am

Quote:
Look forward to your review re wet weather ,longevity and thick juicy tar snakes.

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #12 of 20 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 12:31 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Ok I will check and will probably run 42 front and 42 rear. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Check the pressure after they get hot and make sure you don't have more than a 10 % increase over the cold pressure. If you do then you need to up the starting cold pressure or you risk overheating the tire. That is a "Max Load" statement not a "Max Pressure" statement on the tire.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 20 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 8:29 pm

Quote:
Check the pressure after they get hot and make sure you don't have more than a 10 % increase over the cold pressure. If you do then you need to up the starting cold pressure or you risk overheating the tire. That is a "Max Load" statement not a "Max Pressure" statement on the tire.
I need little help getting my head around the 10% number. Using a starting cold PSI of 42, the hot temperature PSI reading should be less than 46.2 PSI. Does the 10% rule apply across the cold tire PSI spectrum? For example, if someone were to use a 38 PSI cold reading, as long as the hot PSI was less than 41.8, the 38 PSI is okay?

A 2000 LT has a wet weight of 834 pounds. I weigh 175 pounds for a total of 1009 pounds without my gear when riding. The Avon Storm 3D lists a maximum weight of 963 pounds at 42 PSI cold. I am outside of manufacturer max load tolerances at a 42 max cold PSI. With this in mind, what should the cold starting PSI number be?

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
post #14 of 20 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 8:42 pm

Quote:
I need little help getting my head around the 10% number. Using a starting cold PSI of 42, the hot temperature PSI reading should be less than 46.2 PSI. Does the 10% rule apply across the cold tire PSI spectrum? For example, if someone were to use a 38 PSI cold reading, as long as the hot PSI was less than 41.8, the 38 PSI is okay?

A 2000 LT has a wet weight of 834 pounds. I weigh 175 pounds for a total of 1009 pounds without my gear when riding. The Avon Storm 3D lists a maximum weight of 963 pounds at 42 PSI cold. I am outside of manufacturer max load tolerances at a 42 max cold PSI. With this in mind, what should the cold starting PSI number be?

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
Your front should be 58 load rating, 504 pounds, if I remember right for a total weight capacity of approx 1467 pounds

Gary
2018 R1200RT
Past rides
2012 K1600GTL
2000 K1200LT
1992 K1100LT
2000 V Star 650/Velorex sidecar
1985 K100RT
1965 R60/2
1960 AJS 500 single
post #15 of 20 Old Dec 23rd, 2014, 9:25 pm

Quote:
John, that was exactly my premise on a previous thread! The rating is a max load. My question was what is max pressure? I had a respected long time dealer/racer tell me they did a test and ran the pressure up to 300 psi (while in a cage) and the tires did not unseat themselves. He told me that after that, he never worried about seating pressures. I will name names in a private message.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)

2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

post #16 of 20 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 9:12 am
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:

Rob, 2000 LT
Navarre, FL
The 10 % rule is from racing days, you want the right starting pressure so the tire will heat up and grip better without over heating (worse than over pressure). So choose your starting pressure to achieve the 10 % when hot.

The weight is OK since you will not be doing wheelies all day the load will be divided between the front and rear tires. With more to the rear during acceleration and more to the front during braking. But static it is a 50 50 split.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

post #17 of 20 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 9:22 am
Enjoy The Ride

Quote:
The 10 % rule is from racing days, you want the right starting pressure so the tire will heat up and grip better without over heating (worse than over pressure). So choose your starting pressure to achieve the 10 % when hot.

The weight is OK since you will not be doing wheelies all day the load will be divided between the front and rear tires. With more to the rear during acceleration and more to the front during braking. But static it is a 50 50 split.
I never thought about the weight on the rear tire when I'm riding a wheelie on my LT.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #18 of 20 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 10:59 am

Garage

So, no wheelies with fat girls on back?

ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #19 of 20 Old Dec 25th, 2014, 9:07 am

Quote:

No matter what tar I run, I always seem to burn out the front first... (on the LT)

been running storm2's

bout ready to try the new 3D x-m

have you tried a pilot road 4 on the front only? (on the LT)

some guys don't like to mismatch tars..... never bothered me.

hell, when I burn out my front tire, I spoon on a spare avon distanzia to get me by until the rear is gone...

makes a little noise but gets the job done....

actually, gonna throw the distanzia on today....

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

post #20 of 20 Old Dec 30th, 2014, 12:47 pm

I have long term exposure with the 3d-xm up front on my LT. After 2 of them, I am going back to the Storm 2 until I cant find them anymore. I went from getting 8000-9000 per front down to 4500-5000. It works well while it lasts but so did the 2. Watch my video to see the wear. Kudos to Avon for replacing the 3 under warranty but I really dont like changing so soon. I think it was designed with a lighter bike in mind. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msj-vgCjHXM
rposed likes this.

2000 K1200LT-C "Tsukune"
2013 Honda NC700X "Moka"

Kirk Johnson

President of

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in