Oxygen Sensor - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 5:11 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Oxygen Sensor

Quick question. I'm getting ready to help change an O2 sensor. I looked at my Y2k and it looks like all I have to remove to get to it is the left foot peg plate. I have an O2 22mm special socket with the slot cut out for the wires and an offset 3/8" drive. Anything else that I'm missing? I think we have about a three hour window of time.

Thanks, Robert.

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 6:01 pm
Lifetime Supporter
 
deanwoolsey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Topeka, KS, USA
Posts: 3,105
Re: Oxygen Sensor

Heat gun for the threads. Aluminum foil for makeshift heat shields when you're using the gun.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
deanwoolsey is offline  
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 6:06 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: Oxygen Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanwoolsey View Post
Heat gun for the threads. Aluminum foil for makeshift heat shields when you're using the gun.
Thanks Dean, the bike should be hot when we put it on the lift. If it cools I'll zap it with the heat gun. Do I just need to remove just the left footplate only or do I need to remove the lower Tupperware?

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 6:11 pm
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 14,436
Re: Oxygen Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scouter-50 View Post
Thanks Dean, the bike should be hot when we put it on the lift. If it cools I'll zap it with the heat gun. Do I just need to remove just the left footplate only or do I need to remove the lower Tupperware?

Robert
I copied this from an earlier thread and post by Texas42 (Bo) when he did his O2 sensor.

"To replace it you only have to take the tupperware off of the left side and the shifter. You don't have to remove the gas tank. It is actually easier to change than the spark-plugs."

I thought I could find a post of instructions, Robert - but I didn't. Good luck.
Dick is offline  
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 6:19 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: Oxygen Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick View Post
I copied this from an earlier thread and post by Texas42 (Bo) when he did his O2 sensor.

"To replace it you only have to take the tupperware off of the left side and the shifter. You don't have to remove the gas tank. It is actually easier to change than the spark-plugs."

I thought I could find a post of instructions, Robert - but I didn't. Good luck.
Thanks, Dick. Complete left side or just the lower? I assume I can leave the reverse knob alone.
Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 7:30 pm
Senior Member
 
gbaltyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Simpsonville, South Carolina, USA
Posts: 152
Re: Oxygen Sensor

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/albums/us...or_removal.doc

I used this a few weeks ago.
gbaltyn is offline  
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 20th, 2014, 7:54 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: Oxygen Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaltyn View Post
Thanks, I'll gie it a shot.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 10:03 am
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 193
Re: Oxygen Sensor

To update everyone who helped diagnose my mileage issue, last night the part finally arrived at 7:45p (lots of Christmas deliveries). So, I sent Robert a text and he said, "come on." Got there are 8:30, visited a bit and got started.

Everything really went well (great pointer to use the string when pulling the old sensor). The sensor was easily broke loose and came right out. It was obviously well used and the exhaust pipe showed a very rich mixture, as would be expected. Other than some non-standard screws and a poor installation of LED lights by what was probably a bad shop, everything seemed acceptable. We looked at a few different areas on the bike, Robert gave a thumbs up on the bike, and it took about 1 1/2 hours.

After a short visit with Robert and his wife, I headed out around 10:30p. I'm happy to report that with ~20mph wind quartering to me off the left and going 75 on I-10 the computer reported 44.7. That's about +15 from a similar situation, so the diagnosis seemed good.

Thanks everyone for the help, especially Robert.

Merry Christmas,
Larry

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
Leboyd is offline  
post #9 of 9 Old Dec 24th, 2014, 2:49 pm Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
Scouter-50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Columbus, Texas, USA
Posts: 1,286
Re: Oxygen Sensor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboyd View Post
To update everyone who helped diagnose my mileage issue, last night the part finally arrived at 7:45p (lots of Christmas deliveries). So, I sent Robert a text and he said, "come on." Got there are 8:30, visited a bit and got started.

Everything really went well (great pointer to use the string when pulling the old sensor). The sensor was easily broke loose and came right out. It was obviously well used and the exhaust pipe showed a very rich mixture, as would be expected. Other than some non-standard screws and a poor installation of LED lights by what was probably a bad shop, everything seemed acceptable. We looked at a few different areas on the bike, Robert gave a thumbs up on the bike, and it took about 1 1/2 hours.

After a short visit with Robert and his wife, I headed out around 10:30p. I'm happy to report that with ~20mph wind quartering to me off the left and going 75 on I-10 the computer reported 44.7. That's about +15 from a similar situation, so the diagnosis seemed good.

Thanks everyone for the help, especially Robert.

Merry Christmas,
Larry
You're welcome Larry. Good to hear about the immediate improvement. As this is your first BMW I'll suggest that you keep the revs much higher than you are used to. Engage the clutch as quickly as possible then hammer it. Shift somewhere North of 5000 and you will be amazed at the performance. Spin it, she won't cry. Have a safe trip.

Robert

They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.
Benjamin Franklin (1706 - 1790)


2000 K1200LT "Latifah"
1994 R1100RSL (wife's)
1981 R80GS
1976 R90S
1965 R80/2 Frankenbike (wife's)
2001 Bunkhouse LX (given to son)
2011 Bunkhouse Queen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Scouter-50 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
upgrade for oxygen sensor mexicoboy K1200LT 13 Oct 28th, 2014 8:11 pm
Install Oxygen Sensor ? Jimbo3 K1200LT 4 May 13th, 2013 10:20 am
oxygen sensor RockyRaccon K1200LT 14 May 13th, 2013 2:29 am
Oxygen sensor Sac K1200LT 9 Jul 11th, 2009 2:31 am
Question on Oxygen Sensor MNTodd K1200LT 1 Sep 21st, 2008 4:05 pm

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome