Slipping Clutch - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:38 pm Thread Starter

Slipping Clutch

The good news is I am going on a 5 day, 1400 mile ride starting Sat. (7-29-06).

The bad news is my clutch started slipping today on my way to work. Mostly in fourth or fifth gear under heavy acceleration. Fluid level is OK. Reading the Jamiekiel post, I get the impression I could probably still go on the trip, just baby the clutch, and probably make out OK.

But... I would like your thoughts on whether these clutches go fast once they start slipping, and whether I could do any serious damage.

Thanks for the help.

Steve
2004 LT, 15,000 miles on the odometer.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:41 pm

My friend just lost his slave cylinder on the way to the MOA national and had the same symptoms. I would not take the chance of being stranded if I were you.

'07 - R1200RT Slippery Silver

MOA #107139
RA #28511

Past rides:
'03 R1150RT - MAXed out
'03 K1200LTC - Gone to the Darko side
'00 Kawasaki Concours - Buzz
'71 Honda SL350 - The original dual-sport
'72 Kawasaki 250 triple - The smoking gun
'67 Montgomery Wards 125 - Thrashed to death
post #3 of 18 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:45 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenia

The bad news is my clutch started slipping today on my way to work. Mostly in fourth or fifth gear under heavy acceleration. Fluid level is OK. Reading the Jamiekiel post, I get the impression I could probably still go on the trip, just baby the clutch, and probably make out OK.

But... I would like your thoughts on whether these clutches go fast once they start slipping, and whether I could do any serious damage.

Thanks for the help.

Steve
If it is slipping from leaking slave cylinder (most likely cause) or oil seal leaking, it will go downhill FAST! I would definitely not take off on a trip with this time bomb waiting to go off. You could easily get stranded with a basically non rideable bike.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 18 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:26 am

I would get it fixed before the trip. Mine showed no symptoms until I was 4 hours into a 4 and half hour trip to MOA on Friday. When I got to the Hotel I check fluid level and it was lower than when i started out on Friday. Lucky for me the dealership I bought the bike from was at the Rally and they packed in their truck and took it back to NH to repair the problem. They then will ship it back to me when they have completed the repair. They are also going to address the noisy break problem as well. I will be calling roadside assitance to submit my rental bill today. Dealership reported that it was a 12 hour repair job.

BTW, if you have not figured it out yet I am the BMWphreak was referring to.

2005 R1200GS (to be named)

2005 K1200LT Gretchen traded in for GS

MOA # 118981
MSF Instructor

My Photo Gallery

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Blog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 18 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:43 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I bought the bike at the Cincinnati dealer which is now closed. I called the nearest dealer, which is in Columbus, explained my situation and they were able to schedule an appointment for August 16. Had to cancel my trip and take a certain amount of feces from my Goldwing riding friend.
It has been a rough summer. Earlier I lost three weeks riding time waiting to get a fuel leak fixed (just two weeks at the dealer) and now having to cancel my annual trip.
This lack of dealers and mechanical problems is making me wonder why someone would buy an LT vs. a GW. But then again, I have ridden the GW.
post #6 of 18 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:27 pm

Uh.. or fix it yourself?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #7 of 18 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:18 pm

DeJavu

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenia

Thanks for the help.

Steve
Have the exact same problem. It started with 5th gear and now occurs in 3rd and 4th. The dealer thinks its a blown seal in a piston that is somehow conencted to the clutch (he left a phone message which I didn't quite understand but will get more infor in the morning). Personally, I wouldn't take it on a long ride but that's just me. BTW, I have 1,400 miles on the odometer and have had the bike for 3 weeks... I'm not happy.
post #8 of 18 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:56 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes
Have the exact same problem. It started with 5th gear and now occurs in 3rd and 4th. The dealer thinks its a blown seal in a piston that is somehow conencted to the clutch ------------------
That is the famous slave cylinder failure, way to common to still be happening in '06 with no attention by BMW! HUNDREDS of them have failed, taking out clutch assemblies just about every time.

Many of us now drill drain holes in the tranny when we are doing these to prevent future clutch contamination when the slave fails again.

I love the LT, but find it almost ludicrous that BMW has left this WELL KNOWN failure point unaddressed. I had TWO clutches replaced under warranty, as have MANY others. I also replaced one myself.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #9 of 18 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 1:43 am

Lightbulb How not to drill drain holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshealey
Many of us now drill drain holes in the tranny when we are doing these to prevent future clutch contamination when the slave fails again.

Hmm, after a friend of me now has a slipping clutch - I when out to my LT - took an extra look in the servicemanual, found the drill - drilled - and was suprised of how much oil it was in there ;-)

Drilled throe the inner cylinder - and now need a new one !
Took me an hour to take it out, and probably two to get the new on in.

I still do mistakes

regards

STeinar F
post #10 of 18 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 5:01 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Same symptoms here, after replacing the slave cylinder and drilling the hole 20K miles ago (yes, we removed the old slave cylinder first). I figure it must be an engine or tranny seal that's going. I'm still riding, but am hesitant to go anywhere too far from home. I did manage a 250 mile loop today.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #11 of 18 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 6:15 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by meese
Same symptoms here, after replacing the slave cylinder and drilling the hole 20K miles ago (yes, we removed the old slave cylinder first). I figure it must be an engine or tranny seal that's going. I'm still riding, but am hesitant to go anywhere too far from home. I did manage a 250 mile loop today.
Ken that's a bummer, The problem must be the input transmission seal. I don't think the rear main seal or oring failure would allow motor oil to migrate that far. You would also see motor oil outside the clutch bell housing if if were motor oil. Top off the trans fluid and go ride. But first take the filler plug out of the trans and lean to the right to see how low the fluid level is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rear main seal leak.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	321.0 KB
ID:	5342   Click image for larger version

Name:	Clutch Housing Tool.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	321.2 KB
ID:	5343   Click image for larger version

Name:	trans input.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	319.0 KB
ID:	5344  

Pete Murray
IBA # 359 and
2014 RT
1973 R75/5
2002 LT 171 K Gone
2008 FJR 36 K Gone
Stroudsburg, PA
post #12 of 18 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Yeah, cfell, if I was a real man I would fix it myself. But it's under warranty and I'm not much of a mechanic. I didn't buy a BMW so I could learn how to fix it. I just wanted to ride.
post #13 of 18 Old Jul 26th, 2006, 2:10 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Thanks for the advice, Pete. I figure once they tear it open, I'll just have it all replaced. I'd like to do the job myself, but just don't have the time right now.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #14 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:50 pm Thread Starter

Well... The dealer began working on my slipping clutch today. They called this PM and said there were several bad spots on the clutch. No leaking seals etc. The problem is related to wear and is not covered under warranty. Cost of repairs will be $1500. Once again this is a 2004 LT with 15,000 miles. I'm mad as hell right now, but don't know if this a common problem and I should just calm down and pay the bill, or if this is BS and a clutch should last longer than this. I am going to call customer satisfaction rep (?) tomorrow.
I would appreciate any input as to how some of you would handle this.

Thanks
Steve
post #15 of 18 Old Aug 17th, 2006, 7:59 pm

That is total BS, 15k on a clutch is nothing, unless you are abusing it (willingly or unwitingly). The clutch may be a wear part, but brake pads last longer than that. A dry clutch should go 50k or longer.

My bike has had 3 slave cylinders and two clutches. The clutches were fouled by the faulty slave cylinder. BMW replaced everything under warranty. The previous owner went through 2 of the slave cylinders and one clutch, I got to go through the last. The bike has 44k and all of that work happened within the last 14k. My turn was at about 40k or less.

I would put my foot down on this one. The LT has a history of eating clutches when the slave leaks. That is why people here have started drilling them. I will be drilling mine this winter, because BMW probably won't replace the next one. It has been almost a year since that incident. I hope it makes it through this year's vacation, unlike last year.

Eric
post #16 of 18 Old Aug 18th, 2006, 3:29 am
IBR# 366

Garage
To lose a clutch in 15K miles is unusual, unless it's been abused (lots of hard starts, lots of slipping at high throttle and low speeds, etc.). The single-plate dry clutch is a definite weak point on the LT. Maybe not a weak point, as they can go 100K miles with proper care, but it's definitely not over-engineered (and thus bullet-proof) the way the rest of the bike is (rear drives excepted).

I had the same situation with my '02 at just over 35K miles. I got it in to the dealer just before the warranty ran out. After it was opened up, the mechanic said he saw no evidence of any of the seals leaking, but the clutch showed definite hot spots. I know I'm tough on clutches, but I was also convinced it was a leaking seal and thus a warranty repair. I looked at the parts myself and didn't see any evidence of a leak either, so they put it back together and I paid just over $1,400 to get it back. I wasn't happy about it, but really had no other choice.

Almost 50K miles later, I'm having more clutch slipping issues. I did drill the slave drain hole, but it could be an engine seal or tranny seal, or just 50K miles of hard riding. I'm tempted to pull it apart myself, but at the moment I have more consulting work than free time, so it'll be a dealer repair.

All you can really do is inspect the parts yourself and look for evidence of a leaky seal. But you may not see anything either. If you trust your dealer, then pay it and get back on the road. If you don't, then it's a bit late to do anything about it. I know that sucks, but it is what it is.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet

post #17 of 18 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 3:56 pm

Re: Slipping Clutch

Recently I purchased a 05 LT with 22000 miles from Max BMW in NJ. It was still winter here in Angola IN. so I didn't get to test the bike until the first part of April. I discovered that the clutch was slipping so badly that I could not even hold 65 mph in 5th gear.
After many nasty conversations with MAX, they sent me all the parts to have the clutch replaced. I took the bike to Woodson BMW in Fort Wayne, IN. to have the work completed. Yesterday I took the bike out for its first road trip, and discovered the new clutch slips in 4th and 5th when you apply heavy throttle, not even 150 miles on the new clutch. I am not happy, and I need advice on how to proceed.
I have owned several bikes, including 4 K1200RS,s over the years, and have never had Clutch issues.
Any help or advice would be appreciated, Thanks Steve
post #18 of 18 Old Apr 25th, 2009, 9:17 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Slipping Clutch

I would say a trip back to Woodson is in order. They did the work and its not working. That would be my first stop. The clutch in the LT should not slip.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in