From HD Ultra Classic to K1200LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 7:35 pm Thread Starter

From HD Ultra Classic to K1200LT

I own a HD Ultra Classic, and have been looking at the K1200LT.

Has annyone else made the move from a Harley to BMW, and if so, what was your experience like? Was their any type of learning curve, handling, braking, etc.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 7:45 pm

I am in my 2nd year of banishment from 38 years HD products...

It has been a great experience, learning the LT. It beats the HD in all areas of performance.. Better fuel economy, reliability, ABS braking... Phenominal!

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 7:54 pm

HD to K1200LT

I just purchased a 2006LT. I have a HD 2004 Roadking Classic with 23000 miles. Purchased new Nov. 2003. Wife and I and five other couples took a 3500 mile trip to Smokies. I rode deals Gap twice on the HD. I thought if I kept pushing it I would crash bad. Poor braking most problems. Love to ride it but, compared to the BMW is like riding a sport bike. Quick good handling etc. I haved had many bikes but the BMW is by far the best I have ever owned. Tim Baton Rouge, LA

post #4 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 7:57 pm

your profile

How about completing your profile... you will get more useful responses

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:06 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefeb

Has annyone else made the move from a Harley to BMW, and if so, what was your experience like? Was their any type of learning curve, handling, braking, etc.

Thanks.

yup 18 yrs old till oh heck 2002 i rode HD glides of one form or the other

learning curve? yes, DO not grab the front brake on the lt till ya get used to it! keep the handle bars straight when stopping (front tire straight) it will make it easier NOT to drop it till ya get used to tthe higher COG

Watch your speedo, when i bought my LT a friend asked me what i thought of it over the Harley

I think I told him something like 25 MPh difference

Jinks can correct me if I am wrong <g> He bought a LT not long after........ <grin>

Tom

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #6 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:07 pm

went from 2005 Electra Glide Classic to the LT, have been riding HD's since 1981....I really didnt know what I was missing. Dump that old barge and get on with the best bike youll ever experience.
Any questions??? feel free to PM me.

F
post #7 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:15 pm

Cool

Yup * What they all said already. 30+ years of HD & Goldwing riding daily, 500,000+ miles and now on a BMW 05 LT to stay!

* Give up the " Lifestyle " Do rags & Fax Paux Attitude and pick up "It's about the Ride" :^)

47+ Yrs Daily Motorcycle Street riding for Therapy

2012 Victory Cross Country Tour

2007 Black Suzuki DL1000 V-Strom - Sold
2007 Red Moto Guzzi Norge 1200 - Sold
2005 LT Dark Graphite - (Sold)
2005 PearlBlue FJR1300 (Sold)
3 BMW's, 8 HD baggers, 3 Goldwings & 860K + miles later
*Ridin steady since 1973

post #8 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:36 pm

H.D. switch to LT

I had a 2000 Electra Glide Standard, a 2002 Road King, a 2005 Ultra, and a 2005 Lt.
By comparison the Lt. was the best.
But like alot of other H/D riders I missed the H/D image and sold the Lt and bought a 06 Ultra.
Just sold the Ultra and back on an 2006 LT

Im a slow learner, but I found my ride, it's the LT
post #9 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:43 pm

Thumbs up Switched from HD to LT

Quote:

Thanks.
Yep, I suggest you get rid of your HOG and ride a Motorcycle.

Ditto on using only the foot brake(rear) when you come to a stop. The LT wants to tip since the brakes are the greatest. My firsat stop about put me on the handlebars. No body gave me any warning. Had to learn the hard way.

Bottom line.......it's a GREAT motorcycle.

You'll soon learn why it's called the Flying Brick!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #10 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:02 pm

Hd

Last thursday I took a 200 mile, $158 Demo ride on a 2005 Classic. I wanted to give the Harley a full, fair, test so no 10 mile freeby for me. The seat and sidestand were nice. The rest of it just doesn't measure up against an LT.
post #11 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:13 pm

Quote:

Thanks.
Three weeks ago I traded my Ultra for an LT and have 1,400 miles on the LT. I love the LT in all areas except for comfort. Frankly, the highway peg option known as J-Pegs suck and there just don't seem to be many alternatives. I miss my drivers floorboards though I understand why they aren't there. Once I figure out how to stretch out on the LT I will have really nothing to miss from my HD days.

BTW, the center of gravity on the LT is higher so handling is tricky at low speeds but you'll get used to it. The brakes are light years better than HDs. True story - on Saturday I took a ride up to DePere, Wisconsin to visit the local BMW dealer. On the way up I got in behind an SUV which was travelling about 80. I was not tailgating (thank god) when the moron zooms up to a car travelling at a lower rate of speed and hits his brakes HARD!!! I had to hit my brakes HARD in response. The ABS kicked in and smoothly slowed the bike down so that I didn't mate with the SUV. I must tell you that on the HD my back end would have been all over the place and the end result could have been ugly. I'm sold on the LT's brakes and that alone is worth the purchase.

Last edited by JCabranes; Jul 24th, 2006 at 9:20 pm.
post #12 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:29 pm

The LT's foot pegs, being down, instead of forward, make it very easy to stand up on.

I frequently stand for a bit to stretch my legs.
I don't have jpegs, but rest my calves on the wings from time to time.

James Ranks
2008 BMW R1200RT 7200 miles
2005 BMW R1200GS 13000 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha FZ1 (Sold) 11000 miles
2002 BMW K1200LTC 29900 miles (Sold)
2002 Yamaha VSTAR-650 Silverado (Sold) 9100 miles
post #13 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:31 pm

I rode a HD!

Once.

No need to try again.

I have also ridden a LT. I can't get enough!!!
post #14 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:11 pm

HD Ultra BMW K1200LT

I have the HD Electraglide Classic and the K1200LT. Different Bikes, ride them both. Hypothetically, If I could only choose to keep one of these two, it would be the K1200LT. But I always have had a Harley or two around, and will continue to do so.

Mirage
post #15 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:27 pm

Quote:

Thanks.
Figure out what time you have to be home divide that by 2 and turn around when you get to that point. This sled eats multiple states for breakfast.
Have had 14 big HD's a bunch of little ones. Rode ex old lady's airhead while rebuilding my Pan and never looked back.
Have bought 6 or 7 bikes (CRS alert) since 2000, all BMW's except one, and I only bought it because it was an old Pittsburgh Police Special, AKA 75 Shovelhead.
Rock
post #16 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:39 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCabranes
Three weeks ago I traded my Ultra for an LT and have 1,400 miles on the LT. I love the LT in all areas except for comfort. Frankly, the highway peg option known as J-Pegs suck and there just don't seem to be many alternatives. I miss my drivers floorboards though I understand why they aren't there. Once I figure out how to stretch out on the LT I will have really nothing to miss from my HD days.
I know the exact set up your talking about. My Pan has the mini floorboards on the crash bars, so you have that infintly variable foot position.
Try the Mick-o-Pegs they beat the Gyno chair torture divise hands down in my NSHO. They seem a little weird/iffy at first, but I think the boy has a winner.
Rock
post #17 of 38 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleRock
I know the exact set up your talking about. My Pan has the mini floorboards on the crash bars, so you have that infintly variable foot position.
Try the Mick-o-Pegs they beat the Gyno chair torture divise hands down in my NSHO. They seem a little weird/iffy at first, but I think the boy has a winner.
Rock
Thanks for the advice... I saw a website on those pegs and I'm thinking they're the answer. Frankly, if they turn out not to be the answer I'm going to try to build a set. I'll let you know how that turns out.
post #18 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 6:50 am Thread Starter

Thank you all for responding. It's encouraging to hear your positive experiences.

I must admit, the HD image/culture is not a small thing to overcome, but I'm getting to the point in my life, that the ride is more important than the image/culture mystique.

The two concerns I have is my height and leg stretch. I am 5'8" with a 30" inseam, and on the demo model the soles of my feet do come in contact with the ground, though not as solidly as when on my Ultra. The other, the "highway peg" issue has been resolved in one of the other posts.

The higher COG may take a bit to get used to. Thanks for the tip about the front brakes when stopping. I've always applied both front and back brake whenever braking was called for.

I'm taking a test ride on Wed., and will report back.

Thanks again. Your responses are greatly appreciated.
post #19 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:44 am

You'll never be the same... don't look back.

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #20 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 8:55 am

I would like to add that the hardest thing for me to get used to was to keep the RPMs up. The LT likes to be between 4K and 6K.

2018 K1600GTL
2012 K1600GTL (retired)
2003 K1200LT (retired)

IBA # 35048
post #21 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:11 am

I have had four HD's; Road King, two Dyna Wide Glides and a Sportster. Found the HD was pretty much a social bike, boulevard cruiser, and lacking in design and technology. BMW riders are serious about their bikes and expect way much more than nice paint, chrome and loud pipes. Because, once you get out on the highway in all kinds of weather and enviornments, you need a machine that will protect you and your passenger and will have excellent handling and braking in a crisis situation. The bike should also be fun, comfortable and not fatigue you.

HD cannot match the handling, superior ABS braking and performance of the BMW. I own a 2006 LT and 2006 K1200S and will never go back to pre-WWII HD technology again.

I had my LT up to 131mph (per the Motorrad GPS) down in Nevada and the bike felt no different than when I was driving it at 80mph--smooth and jet like. Try that with a HD!
post #22 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:23 am

Unhappy I was hoodwinked by HD for 30 years

1999 FLHTCI was the last HD for me......

I had dumped a bunch of money into this one
Baker 6 speed, sampson pipes, SE air cleaner, power commander........

While trying to pass a semi on a 2 lane I nearly lost my life to oncoming
traffic. I was giving her all she had and still came up short...too slow.

went to the BMW dealership and they let me test ride the LT.
salesman's words "well it is about noon now and we close at 4:00"
"put some gas in it if you run it all out".........
needless to say I bought it.

Things that are different from HD:
ABS Brakes ...... easy on the brakes these will stop not like the HD's
Revs ... this was my biggest problem this thing likes to eat, makes it's power
different, don't shift at less than 5k ....7 is better
when riding with your old HD friends don't listen to the other bikes to shift
ride your own ride.
Resale........ I wouldn't worry about this you will never let it go.

25898 miles in 2 years and I love it ...... no more antique technology for me..

ridesalot
post #23 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:36 am

Quote:
Thanks.
Well I'd say your question has been answered several times,
and the answers you got prove what I've been saying all along.
Harley Davidsons are good starter bikes for BMW riders
I challenge all my old HD buddies,
wear out one tire on a BMW and you'll never look back

Hans
St. Petersburg FL

2002 K1200LTE
"Silver Buffalo" Totaled 5/06
2005 LT
"Esperanza"
BushtecGenesisTrailer
"Our preferred long distance carrier"

post #24 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:42 am

Brakes !! Now you have some...I had Ultra classic also...Both motorcycles are very comfortable ...My Ultra was a Lemon and could not keep it running sold it after buying an 2006 LT....The biggest learning curve I have experienced is keeping the speeds down...This bike flies !! Go buy one and your will never be the same !! Looking at new bikes or used...?

Jeff Goodwin
Austin, Texas

"Life is a coin.
You can spend it anyway you wish,
but you can only spend it once."

post #25 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:12 am

Cool

Quote:

Thanks.

Well, never rode anything but a Harley all up and down the east coast for years. Sold my last one a year before I bought the 04 LT. Wonderin why I sold the Harley? Simple. Lost my ridin buddy and my wife could no longer ride 2-up sooooo....sold the HD to a friend. A year later, I wanted something more comfortable and almost bought a wing. The LT test ride sealed it for me simply because it fit me better. THEN I learned a few things...

HD
1. Great rolling art.
2. Nobody can "out-Harley" Harley Davidson.
3. The Glide was really comfortable with a lot of storage.
4. Never had a problem with the HD mechanically or otherwise...until

Well, until I went down on the Blue Ridge Pkwy ridin 2-up. Outside of a rear brake-induced tank slapper, I never experienced any pucker moments on a Harley until we went down on the BRP. THAT was because of front-fork dive whilst entering the BRP and having to execute an emergency stop due to a fast Mustange flyin around the bend. The front fork dive thang just brought us down like a magnet!!!

So, two things I prefer about the LT are the ABS and NO front fork dive!!

There are a few other things:

LT
1. Smooth
2. Quiet
3. Fast
4. Comfortable enough for 1000 mile days.
5. Twisty road performance is great!
6. Heated seats/grips
7. Tunes
8. Electric 'shield, etc.....ad nauseum

LT is a better touring machine hands down!

Would I buy another Harley? Sure! But would not tour on it for a number of reasons.

Bottom Line: Buy what YOU want.

Enjoy the choices....ain't it great to live in a country with choices???
post #26 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:17 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranks
The LT's foot pegs, being down, instead of forward, make it very easy to stand up on.

I frequently stand for a bit to stretch my legs.
I don't have jpegs, but rest my calves on the wings from time to time.

Oh, yeah,....

Try standing up on the HD...better yet, try deer jumping or ladder jumping or pothole jumping on the HD. DAMHIK but the LT pegs allow you to stand up and get yer arse off the seat just before you gas it and go over the obstacle!!!
post #27 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:04 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBuffalo
Well I'd say your question has been answered several times,
and the answers you got prove what I've been saying all along.
Harley Davidsons are good starter bikes for BMW riders
I challenge all my old HD buddies,
wear out one tire on a BMW and you'll never look back

GOSH I Hate all the HD bashing!

I think i'll go ride my K1200LTC and remember why I sold almost all my Harley's and Bought BMW's, besides I need to try out my FM modulator i put on this weekend for the Sirius Radio

Hey ANy excuse is a good excuse to ride <grin>

Tom

'07 GS Adv (mine), '06 GS <(My brides)
(the only bmw's in the stable)
post #28 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:39 pm

HD vs LT

I owned an Ultra Classic and purchased my first LT in 1999. I agree with all the above remarks. I have driven my LT 1150 miles in one day. I would never had done that on the HD. The LT is an outstanding machine if you are tall enough and you get used to the weight at a stop or parking speeds.
post #29 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 1:30 pm

LT vs HD

I spent eight years on HD FLHTC's before I tried out a 2000 K12LT. Two days later I owned it. Friends asked why and I told them I traded up four years but 40 years in technology. A month later I sold my sport bike cause the LT did everything better than the two bikes I always had in the garage.
I'm currently on my third LT and my wife and I wouldn't consider anything else.
post #30 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 4:28 pm

I made that switch -

I've been riding mostly Harleys (and a few BMW's) for some years now. Just before I bought my K1200LTE I had a Harley Fatboy. I crossed the country C2C three times in two years on that bike. Two of the three times I had (major) problems with the bike. My definition of eternity is Montana and a bike that won't run over 55 MPH. I got back to Seattle and traded that machine in on the "brick". The only thing I missed was the floorboards and a set of "J-Pegs" helped some.

They are different machines for different purposes. At low speed I hate the Beemer! It's about the worst low speed machine I've ever been on. On the other hand, when you get anywhere on the "busy side" of 100 it's hands down the best I've ever been on! You can't move around on it like you can on some bikes. (Being able to change position helps when you have one of these old, boney butts!) On the other hand the ergonomics are great. So you can ride some miles before you have to get off.

So, to answer your question with a question, are you a "Biker" or are you a "Rider"? I have been both at different times in my life. Both are fun and there are no wrong answers to that question.

Best Regards,

js
post #31 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 5:25 pm

I've got a 2000 Harley Road King and recently purchased a 2002 K1200LT. As noted earlier, the brakes are the biggest (and best) difference. Love the assurance of ABS. I do, however, hate the low speed handling. It is much harder to handle at low speeds than the HD. I love the K1200LT at highway speeds for all the reasons listed above. I may keep both. I haven't decided yet.
post #32 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 7:19 pm

I still have my 86FXRS. I ride it around town during the day in the winter.

In 99, my wife said its time to get a more comfortable bike for her. The LT did the trick. Plus, it enabled us to ride all year round here. Much cooler when temps go over 90F, and warmer when temps go below 70F. Speeds over 45 mph, no contest. Stopping, no contest again--you can just stand on the brakes--takes a while for your gut to get used to being able to hit the brakes that hard and not start sliding. Oh man. Wait till you lean the LT thru a corner! The wheel base stays about the same if you hit a little bump. Ohh. The nose doesn't dive when you hit the front brake!

Biggest problem going from my FXRS was getting used to a different torque curve--the LT isn't designed to run around 2,000rpm. SO, when you start out on the LT you have to get used to ramping up the rpms faster in first gear. I run my FXRS from around 1,800-2,400 my LT from around 2,800 to 3,400.

When I considered buying a Road King as our more comfortable bike, I started adding up the cost of changing the cam, changing the exhaust, changing the intake manifold, changing the carb, changing the ignition. Don't have to do that with the LT, it just not necessary to get it to run correctly--it comes pretty well maxed out for performance.

I'm 5-8, same inseam. LT just doe not handle slooooow speed as well as HDs.

Bob

PS: the LT speedo reads higher than your actual speed.
post #33 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 7:59 pm Thread Starter

Thanks again to all. Tomorrow I take my test drive, and I must admit to being concerned about dropping the darn thing. Wouldn't be the first time I dropped a bike, but when I did, they were mine.

As far as slow riding goes...I bought a DVD by a guy from Florida, a former motorcycle cop, I don't recall his name, but he went by the monicker,
"Motorman".

I've adapted his techniques for slow driving, which is feather the rear brake, and rev the engine, while keeping your head up and looking where you want to go. One of the mantras on the DVD was, "If you use your front brake, it will pull you down like an anchor."

I'm no slow riding expert by any means, but using his technique has helped be tons. I'll just have to apply what I know about slow riding, when I find myself in the situation tomorrow.

BTW - The LT I may be getting is a black, 2006, with a luggage rack, and trunk?, light kit installed. It's one sweet looking machine.

I'll be sure to post tomorrow after my ride.
post #34 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:26 pm

Just stay on a paved road, and you should really enjoy the ride.

I live on a dirt road. As pretty as black bikes are, not practical on dirt roads.

Bob. 00LT metalic dust, AKA champaign
post #35 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:19 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecketMa
-----------------------------------I run my FXRS from around 1,800-2,400 my LT from around 2,800 to 3,400.------------------
Do you mean those as minimum RPMs? If you are always shifting the LT at 3400 you are missing the entire good part. The LT does not even get "on the cam" until around 4000, and is happiest between 3500-7000, still pulling HARD when the limiter kicks in around 8000. I would never use full throttle for anything below 3500, if that low and really needing to go, down shift, at least once.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #36 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:24 pm

You are going to hate yourself for taking that ride.. wear your most beat up work clothes, leave your checkbook at home and don't shave....you're going home with the LT tomorrow.

So, what's her name going to be?

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

post #37 of 38 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:46 pm

I fit that group. The hardest thing is all the other Harley riders will think you are pond scum for not riding a "real" bike. You will get teased and laughed at but when you sit down at the table to talk to your buddies about your last 400 mile day, they will show some respect.
The other bad thing about the switch in brands is BMW does not have the cool tee-shirts.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."
post #38 of 38 Old Jul 28th, 2006, 1:01 am

HD to BMW no brainer

I rode an Electra Glide and a Road King Classic and switched to BMW. I few pertinent differences.
1) HD has more low end torque and take-off is easier especially with passenger
2) HD has much lower center of gravity and low speed handling is much easier especially for a shorter rider.
3) HD has a much broader service availability
4) BMW becomes an extension of the rider
5) BMW has brakes that are unbeatable
6) BMW absorbs bumps etc amazingly
7) BMW performs like a sport bike once you get over the fear of revving the engine to get power. As an ex HD rider, your always ready to shift at 4,000 RPM. The LT just begins to wake up at 4 grand. This took me a while to realize with my first LT. I was always short shifting like I did on my HD and the LT felt underpowered. Now I keep it in 1 gear lower than my instincts tell me to and it is full of power.
8) BMW handling is superb
9) The LT is a 2006 motorcycle and the HD is a remanufactured 1957 vehicle

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in