rear brake pistons and fitting pads - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 6:35 pm Thread Starter

rear brake pistons and fitting pads

Greetings - I am changing the rear brake pads on my 1999 Lt using the instructions found on this site. I'm having trouble getting the pistons to move back to make room for the new pads. I've tried pushing the pistons back with my fingers but there is no movement - the little round tops in the pistons are very loose and fall out but no piston movement that I can tell.
I've seen references to using the bleeders to remove fluid or using the old pads to lever the pistons back. I haven't tried either approach. Seeking advice. Thanks

Richard
1999 K1200LT
Utopia, Hill Country, Texas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:02 pm

open bleed valve

I was able to push mine in by hand after opening the bleed valve...

i just opened the bleeder and with the caliper still installed was able to push back the pistons. You can use a pair of waterpump pliers and an old pad to push them back as well..

I don't think you can force the fluid backwards thru the system.

HTH

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:10 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Actually you can push the fluid back as that is how they fill it at the factory. The pistons are most likely a bit dirty and will eventually push back. Try with the old pads in and the caliper unbolted - rock it back and forth on the rotor. That should do it. Once you get them moving they will go easy.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 10 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:24 pm

I haven't done my brake pads yet so I'm not sure if you can fit one in there but I have been able to use a c-clamp on automotive brakes before.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #5 of 10 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:49 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian
Greetings - I am changing the rear brake pads on my 1999 Lt using the instructions found on this site. I'm having trouble getting the pistons to move back to make room for the new pads. I've tried pushing the pistons back with my fingers but there is no movement - the little round tops in the pistons are very loose and fall out but no piston movement that I can tell.
I've seen references to using the bleeders to remove fluid or using the old pads to lever the pistons back. I haven't tried either approach. Seeking advice. Thanks
Make sure there is room in the system. If the brake was topped off and it's full there may not be any room in the reservoir. If there is then you should be able to put a flat blade screw driver between the old pad and the rotor.. force back the piston... very slowly and carefully and evenly.... make sure that the both old pads are still in the calipers otherwise you will blow out the pistons on the other side. Not good...

Jack D. (Southern Connecticut)
2001 Black LTC
2015 Blue R1200GSA
post #6 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 9:24 am Thread Starter

Ok - while trying to bleed a bit of fluid to move the pistons I found that the brake fluid is the color of weak coffee - so I need to replace the brake fluid.
I've seen posts here for bleeding the intregral/EVO systems. What's the procedure for the 99LT?

Richard
1999 K1200LT
Utopia, Hill Country, Texas
post #7 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 10:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utopian
Ok - while trying to bleed a bit of fluid to move the pistons I found that the brake fluid is the color of weak coffee - so I need to replace the brake fluid.
I've seen posts here for bleeding the intregral/EVO systems. What's the procedure for the 99LT?
Here is the start of a thread spelling out the procedure for brake fluid work. HTH - it wuz in the HOW/FAQ pages.
post #8 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:18 pm

I use the old pad/leverage approach. If rocking the caliper while still over the rotor doesn't do it I use a couple of large screw drivers to pry between the old pads and seperate them. Mine got very hard to seperate a couple of pad changes ago and it finally became obvious the pistons were sticking and required repair or replacement of the caliper.
post #9 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 12:56 pm

Richard,
Since you have a 99, you can just let gravity do the bleeding for you. It may take a few extra minutes, but just remove the master cylinder cover, take a paper towel and remove the old fluid, fill the master cylinder up with fresh fluid, open a bleeder, and wait until the fluid comes out clear. Just remember to keep your eye on the master cylinder so that it does not run out of fluid.

Mike Trevelino
Williamsburg, VA
2008 RT
2000 LT - Totaled at 99,960 miles

post #10 of 10 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 2:36 pm

Rear brake pads

I would not be so quick to push the pads back. It seems that dust seals are no longer fitted so any crud will stick on the piston - this crud will also stop you pushing the pistons back. Take the old pads out then remove the caliper. Have a look round and see if there is any build up round the pistons. I used an old toothbrush and green scourer with alloy wheel cleaner to remove this and then washed all residue of. If they are really dirty I would put the pads back in (to stop the pistons coming all the way out and use an old pad as packing if you are worried) and gently press the brake pedal so you see more of the piston. Apply silicone grease to the pistons and then push them back in. It is easier to use a F clamp. Reattach the brake caliper using copper grease on the bolts and copper grease on the back of the new pads. Riding my bike through the winter may cause most of my problems so maybe not needed required across the pond.

Graham Wintersgill
On the bonnnie bonnie banks of Loch Lomond

2001 K1200LT

1995 K75RT now deceased

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in