Another Newbie Here... - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 12:44 pm Thread Starter

Another Newbie Here...

Have not got my LT yet. But will be soon. Just sold my Kaw Connie and am ready to shop. Wife and I sat on several 2 tourers. Came down to LT, Wing, and the Valkyrie Interstate. After sitting on them again she selected the LT and I agree. LT fits us both best.

I am considering a 01 LT.
I am aware of the not Integrated braking and older rear bearing design, but was wondering if there were any other common issues with the 01?

Did the redesign of the drive bearing decrease number of rear drive failure?

What is the Cost of fixing/replacing rear drive after failure?

Cost of replacing ABS system?

Were Comm systems not standard?

Thanks in Advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 2:30 pm

Welcome ! Yes I believe the redesign has helped,second, replacement parts bought used(beemerboneyard.com)will save you at least 50% in most cases whatever the problem is,i hope i was of some help
post #3 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 4:49 pm

About 3 years ago I did the same thing you did: Sold my nearly brand new Connie for a '99 LT with just 8700 miles on it.
The decision was made because the SO at the time hated being in the back of the Connie. It was as unpleasant for her in the back as it was fun for me to ride!
It took me a little while to get used to the weight of the beast and low speed handling. Never had a serious problem with the mount, but I did have the shift linkage break 2 block away from home and quickly replaced with a kit from PhilJohn of this forum.
I never worried about rear drive failure and used the bike as my primary transportation and weekend getaway getaway vehicle loaded with 2 up.
I loved the Brembo brakes!!!
Sold it with 32K miles when a great deal on an '03 with similar mileage came along. More chrome and integral brakes, Autocom system (after market product), and some warranty left made my decision easy.
If you get a decent deal on your '01, look no further and just ride!!! if you feel the need you can always buy an extended warranty to cover ABS and rear drive failure, should any of that occur.
After all, riding is all about leaving your worries behind!!!)

Gilles & Kathy
BMWMOA# 154719
IBA# 71594
2011 Ostra Gray RT
06 Mercedes-Benz E350 Estate (parts and people hauler)
2012 BMW X3 (parts and people hauler)
86 Porsche 911 Cabriolet (my "new" baby)

For her I climbed the highest mountain!
For her I swam across the deepest ocean!
For her I walked through the largest desert!
And then she left me... She said I was never home!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 21 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:12 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Welcome to the LT lifestyle you will not regret getting you LT. Also please fill out you profile so we can get to know you better. If you have any questions just post it and you'll get help. This site has realy helped me being new to a BMW,only have her about 1 1/2 years

Stevie Shreeve
post #5 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 1:01 am Thread Starter

Well now I am getting one... despite reading all the horror stories about final drives, valve stems and shifter linkages (did I miss anything)... we are getting an LT. The wife and I had second thoughts after reading a bunch of postings. We then rode a wing again, but kept going back to the LT. Odd that everything you read about passanger comfort and room indicates that the Wing is the way to go. My wife dissagrees. This may change after a couple hours of riding, but I doubt it.

Any way, we fly up to Ohio and pick her up next week. Then ride it back to GA. Will try to swing down the Blue Ridge Pkwy on the way. She is an 03 so hope final drive won't be an issue. I will replace the valvestems when I replace tires. I will upgrade the shifter next month. And I hope not to post any complaints on this board.

I am purchasing through a member of the forum. Sounds like she was well cared for, by a real nice owner. I will try to be sensitive to his feelings as I take her. I am familiar with the feelings. When they trailered away my Connie I had to go inside... and I peeked out of the windows once.

In the next few months or year I will be looking for a GPS and HeadSets for the Comm System so I will definatly post some questions then.

I have become addicted to reading all you posts.... I'll keep reading and offer some input as my LT knowlege base grows.
post #6 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 2:52 am
IBR# 366

Garage
Good to have you on board, Tim. The Connie is a nice bike (I had an '02), but nowhere near he LT in terms of comfort, handling, or just plain fun factor.

Enjoy the ride.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...
post #7 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 8:08 am

I was a bit worried about the final drive problems as well. The redesign did help, according to my dealer, they also check the final drive when they change to drive oil, so they tell me. With every service they go through what they did to the bike in great detail, which makes me feel good. I took a friends wife for a ride the other day, he has an HD Ultra Classic, great bike for two up riding. She couldn't believe how smooth the LT was and fast it is, in comparison. Have fun!
post #8 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 10:49 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatim

Any way, we fly up to Ohio and pick her up next week. Then ride it back to GA. .
Where in OH? Maybe a meet/greet/info exchange can be made...

F in Cleveland
post #9 of 21 Old Aug 13th, 2006, 1:41 pm

Tim: congratulations on your decision. I own a 2001 and haven't had many problems....the rear trunk latch broke and that's it. We have done a lot of two-up riding with luggage and have not lost the rear end bearings. It is a great bike and a lot of fun. I have read a lot of these posts and used the information to my advantage...suggest you keep an eye on this site on a regular basis.
post #10 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 9:18 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florian
Where in OH? Maybe a meet/greet/info exchange can be made...

F in Cleveland

Picking her up in Bowling Green around 5:50 pm. Hope to make it to KY asap. Meeting family for some riding the next day in SC. Unfotunaly I will not much if any time . Perhaps another time. Wife and I try 1 or two big trips a year. Our way of taking a break from the kids.
post #11 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 9:24 am

Quote:
Then ride it back to GA. Will try to swing down the Blue Ridge Pkwy on the way. She is an 03 so hope final drive won't be an issue. I will replace the valvestems when I replace tires. I will upgrade the shifter next month. And I hope not to post any complaints on this board.
Oh I missed the valvestemm issue. What is it, other than they are so dang hard to get to?

Be carefull on the BRP. You'll find yourself wanting to do 70 on there. WE rode from Mount Airy, NC to Roanoke via interstate and Roanoke to the VA line yesterday vis BRP for a first ride to see how the big beast does. It wants to go. lol

Rando
post #12 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 2:29 pm

Talking

Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the group. You guys won't be disappointed with the LT. I added armrests for my wife and she's much more comfortable. Now she has a tendency to nod off on the back. One note of caution: Make sure the beast in is first gear if you leave her on the side stand! Nasty things can happen if you don't (don't ask).

Ray Rau
Brewster, NY
'99 LT - Champagne
post #13 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 2:48 pm

I read that one and have been carefull to do so. And even got a little puff of oil smoke already - that's always fun to explain. durn sideways motor.

I tell ya, I'm 285 right now with little (no) experience with centerstand and that thing is a bear to get up. I put my whole weight on there and it goes eventually, but not smoothly.

But the ride is getting better with each little trip.

Rando
post #14 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 3:01 pm
Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by rando
I tell ya, I'm 285 right now with little (no) experience with centerstand and that thing is a bear to get up. I put my whole weight on there and it goes eventually, but not smoothly.
Tip: When you first put the centerstand down, (before raising the bike up on it) GENTLY rock the bike slightly from side to side to make sure that you are "centered". You'll feel the bike settle when both sides of the centerstand are touching the ground. Then step down with your foot and she'll stand right up.

This is more difficult to explain than do - hope you understand what I mean!

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #15 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 3:13 pm

I know it has to be on both feet. I guess this is learning curve stuff here. Everything I do with it is GENTLY right now. I don;t want that thing wallerin' me!!! Lol

I'm still worrying I'm gonna go too far over center and drop it the other way.

Rando
post #16 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 3:21 pm

Stopping the Puff

Rando:

To stop the pre-oilers from putting on a display on next start I usually turn her off and wait about 5 to 10 seconds and let the oil drain before putting down the side stand then dismount.

Seams to work for me.
Found the the above words of wisdom on the board a while back and has worked ever since.
Once in a great while I will forget and I know what is going to happen when I start her up. cough, cough, cough "Darn Pre-oilers".

Kills bugs dead !!!!

Rich Kirker
2002 LTC Pacific Blue
Caliper Moto Lights, Hyper light brake lights, Spiegler brake lines, Ride West side markers, Grip puppies, HyperPro Springs and CA HID Kit.
BMWMOA #124306
2009 Honda Shadow (Wife's)
Blue & Pearl
"Well It’s not rocket science but absolutely a nightmare. At the end of the day you had a fairly unique situation that I personally at this moment in time could see me having as well 24/7. With all due respect, it shouldn’t of happened."
post #17 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 3:26 pm

I saw that too in the last week or so I think. I'll keep it in mind.

Rando
post #18 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 3:48 pm
Ted

Quote:
Everything I do with it is GENTLY right now. I don;t want that thing wallerin' me!!! Lol
..oh I know - even after 3 years I am still very careful - always look for level ground, always park in 1st gear, etc...

If raising it remains difficult, it may be a sign that your rear shock is toast. Others have mentioned this, and since replacing mine I have noticed that it raises quite easily. I had approximately 31K mile on the original shocks.

Ted

Camarillo, CA
2012 Ducati Multistrada 1200S - Red
2007 R1200S - Black - Sold
2003 K1200LTC - Silver - Sold
IBA# 16554

post #19 of 21 Old Aug 14th, 2006, 4:01 pm

Shouldn't be rear shock with 6700 miles. More likely the lifter, me!

Rando
post #20 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 8:44 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Oh I missed the valvestemm issue. What is it, other than they are so dang hard to get to?

Be carefull on the BRP. You'll find yourself wanting to do 70 on there. WE rode from Mount Airy, NC to Roanoke via interstate and Roanoke to the VA line yesterday vis BRP for a first ride to see how the big beast does. It wants to go. lol

Rando
Seems that the original stems tend to leak at the core.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthre...ht=valve+stems

It is a good practice to replace rubber stems at every tire change any way.
post #21 of 21 Old Aug 15th, 2006, 2:02 pm
IBR# 366

Garage
Quote:
It is a good practice to replace rubber stems at every tire change any way.
Yep, with metal stems. Then you only have to do it once.

Ken
Pacific NorthWet
'13 Dark Graphite Metallic K16GTLD, 24K miles
'09 Magnesium Beige Metallic K13GT, 63K miles
'03 Anthracite Metallic K12LTC, 66K miles
'02 Mauve Metallic K12LTC, 106K miles and sold
BMWLT#143, IBA# 366, MOA# 111996, SCMA# 24032

Some people see the gas tank as half empty. Some see it as half full. All I care is that I know where the next tankful is coming from...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in