Which Michelin Tire for Front? - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 2 Post By cws
  • 1 Post By drmajor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Which Michelin Tire for Front?

I am sick of my Mets and going to order radials today for my 2002 LT. I am going to use Avon Storm 3D X-M for rear. I want to try the Michelin front tire and need to know if the Pilot Road 4 or the Pilot Road 4 GT would work best. Thanks in advance for your help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 12:31 pm

Re: Which Michelin Tire for Front?

You can use any of those but I'll warn you that on the front of the LT you will only get about 3000 miles out of them.

I like the Metz up front and the bridgestone for the rear.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #3 of 19 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 3:01 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarider View Post
You can use any of those but I'll warn you that on the front of the LT you will only get about 3000 miles out of them.

I like the Metz up front and the bridgestone for the rear.
Thanks for your response. I am looking for something that handles better than the Metz. I have about 11K on my Metz and the front is cupped really bad and the back has maybe another 2K left. The Metz seem to handle fine when new but with mileage the handling seems to go. I just want to try a set of radials and see what I think. After what you said I think I will just go Avon front and rear and see what happens. I find it hard to believe that a Michelin front tire would only last 3000 miles, maybe that is why you don't see them on many LTs.
Leon

post #4 of 19 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 4:08 pm

I prefer the round ones
post #5 of 19 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by norton View Post
I prefer the round ones
There is one in every crowd!
post #6 of 19 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 8:09 pm

The LT is a heavy beast and is hard on tires.

John & Cathy
Northern CA
01 K1200LTC Basalt - Moose

Posse #2

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

If you don't know where you're going, you might end up somewhere else
post #7 of 19 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 10:37 pm

None of them! Read up on tires in here.

Tommy
77 years old and gittin' younger
__________________________________________________ __
'07 K1200LT Black w/color matched Hannigan Europa II Trailer
'09 KLR650 heavily modified for the TAT

IBA #48786
MOA #164466

post #8 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 4:39 am
cws

Garage

While not rated for the LT, if you WERE to try one of the PR4's "at your own risk" I'd be using the GT version on the LT rather than the standard version.... it's a cross between a bias and a radial... a lot explained here.
"Pilot Road 4 GT A higher strength version of the Pilot Road 4 catering for large sport-touring motorcyles likely to carry a pillion passenger and/or luggage. Bikes like Yamahas FJR1300 or BMWs R 1200 RT for example."
The keep us updated on tyre performance and lifespan....
joseph_p and beech like this.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #9 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 5:03 am
Enjoy The Ride

The Pilot Road 4 GT front tire is rated for the LT 120/70ZR/17/58W

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

post #10 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 9:46 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by tconnell View Post
None of them! Read up on tires in here.
I have been reading up on tires in here for a while trying to decide what to get. The more I read the more confused I have become. One person swears by a certain tire and next person swears at the same tire. I usually ride about 11-13K a year so a set of tires will last me about a year or so. I have always run Metz on my LTs so I have made up my mind to try a set of Avons on my 02 and see how they work. All this being said I still do not understand why the Pilot Road 4 GT would not work well on the front. But that is a mute point since I ordered the Avons last night. Thanks to everyone for giving their opinion on this matter. I still think this is the best site on the internet.
post #11 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 9:52 am
Lifetime Supporter

Good luck with the Avons. Watch your tire pressures, one of the main causes of the front cupping is low pressure. Most people recommend 42 psi up front, and 48 (or max sidewall) in the rear.

Motor On ,/'

post #12 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 10:04 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkersh1 View Post
Good luck with the Avons. Watch your tire pressures, one of the main causes of the front cupping is low pressure. Most people recommend 42 psi up front, and 48 (or max sidewall) in the rear.
Thanks. I am anal about my tire pressure. The "cupping" on my front Metz is confined to one area and not true cupping. I feel as though it was possibly slightly out of round which caused my problem. We do a lot of riding in the NC mountains, so I wanted to try the Avons for handling.
post #13 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 10:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

If comfort and safety are more important to you than longevity you have made the right choice. The Avons really stick, handle rough pavement and tar-snakes like nothing else.
Just be sure the ones you ordered are rated for the LT. If you ordered the right ones you can ignore all the naysayers that will tell you only metz and bridgestone make the right tires, and the ones that will say you can't put radials on a LT (that only applies to 2005 and newer).
post #14 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 11:01 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff8stuff View Post
If comfort and safety are more important to you than longevity you have made the right choice. The Avons really stick, handle rough pavement and tar-snakes like nothing else.
Just be sure the ones you ordered are rated for the LT. If you ordered the right ones you can ignore all the naysayers that will tell you only metz and bridgestone make the right tires, and the ones that will say you can't put radials on a LT (that only applies to 2005 and newer).
Thanks. Safety and handling in the rain are very important to me. I ordered the new Avon Storm 3D X-M (proper rating) and they claim these tires will give 15-20% more mileage than the old Avon Storms, so we will see.
post #15 of 19 Old Dec 16th, 2014, 11:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
Thanks. Safety and handling in the rain are very important to me. I ordered the new Avon Storm 3D X-M (proper rating) and they claim these tires will give 15-20% more mileage than the old Avon Storms, so we will see.
I am still trying to wear out a set of Storm2's and have not had the privilege of running the XM's as of yet. I would be very interested in your take on the XM's. Please keep us in the loop on what your experience is...

Thanks...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #16 of 19 Old Dec 17th, 2014, 7:28 pm

I have run Metz, Avon, and Bridgestone 020.

Metz= best mileage, but slow handling.
Bridgestone 020 probably best all around.
Avon, very fast turn in. Not fun in city. Lots of fun in mountains. Bike wants to fall into turns and you have to counter.
UncleMark likes this.

David Major
Charleston, SC
-2003 LT
-2007 GS Adventure. White
post #17 of 19 Old Dec 19th, 2014, 11:18 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmajor View Post
I have run Metz, Avon, and Bridgestone 020.

Metz= best mileage, but slow handling.
Bridgestone 020 probably best all around.
Avon, very fast turn in. Not fun in city. Lots of fun in mountains. Bike wants to fall into turns and you have to counter.
Me too. I also found that the Avon on the rear was not as stable as the others in heavy traffic at higher speeds with cross winds. Seems the turbulence caused a little wobbling.

BMW 1200 LTC 2002

Illinois...The Only State Where The Governors Make The License Plates
post #18 of 19 Old Dec 21st, 2014, 11:10 pm

I am currently running the Michelin PR4GT on the front and the Avon Storm 3D X-M rear. Great combination in my opinion. The responsiveness and smoother ride are amazing.
The stability up front in wet conditions is confidence inspiring. I've got nearly 2,000 on them and I suspect I will easily surpass "Amarider's" 3,000 mile prediction. It's a '99 and I run 42-44 psi up front and 48-50 rear.
The already nimble bike now feels like a "big boned" sportbike.

Three words that'll send a Redneck to the hospital . . .
"Hey, watch this!"

'99 K1200LT
post #19 of 19 Old Dec 22nd, 2014, 1:48 am

Just a comment, keep in mind that just because there is some tread left does not mean the tire is still in good shape. Things change towards the end of tire life and changing them out a little "early" is not a bad thing. Tires might just be the single most important thing on the bike. Something to think about when passing those four cars and a truck.

Beech

I change your tires $50, you buy them on the web.
K13S, S1000R (gone through a few GS's & RT's)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in