Broken cam bearing cap stud - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 Old Dec 12th, 2014, 12:24 pm Thread Starter

Broken cam bearing cap stud

I could really use some help on this one.

Looks like who ever did the maintenance before me may have been a bit overzealous with the tightening tool.

I THINK I used extreme caution since this is my 1st beemer bucket change and the associated paranoia was keeping me company.

Read the manual, 3x. Watched the vids until my eyes wouldn't focus, so I have the procedure but still have this mess. To be semi certain I read and watched again and again during the last week while waiting on parts to arrive.

Doing the valve check, new buckets as needed, and this morning went to install the cam and bearing caps. Everything went swimmingly during disassembly.

Install the cam with as many lobes clear of the lifters as can be managed, and begin tightening the caps sequentially, starting from the center and doing this in increments with just a socket and my hand, no wrench.
Everything is going well and we come to the part where a wrench is required to turn the nuts, but they are still nowhere near torque value. ( Studs are DRY btw )

Had the wrench set to 80 inch pounds per Clymer, tested on the exhaust cam caps that I did not remove and the wrench clicked without turning the nuts, so I think I'm Ok.

Re-check the torque wrench and begin slowly/sequentially tightening the cap nuts. Periodically check the wrench against the exhaust cap nuts and all is well.

The intake cap nuts/studs will not tighten. No matter what I do they won't torque. I'm doing this in 1/8th turn increments and placing no force on the wrench. I noticed the amount of stud protrusion beyond the nuts was longer than on the exhaust cam studs.
Finally I take a sharpie and mark the end of the studs and find they are turning. As I go to remove all the caps, the number 3A intake stud breaks, leaving me with about 5/8ths inch to work with for extraction.

What's the best way to remove these studs? Is heating or pulling the head required? At this time I had best replace every one of them.

BMW; Brought My Wallet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old Dec 12th, 2014, 12:42 pm

Re: Broken cam bearing cap stud

I broke off a similar stud on a Tahoe. I didn't have 5/8ths left - I had 1/16th. I used a small pair of vice grips (the ones about 5" long) and had just enough of that stud to back it out.

I've not done the work you're doing on the bike, so I can't help you with removing all the studs, but if they are turning you should be able to back them all out.

Hope this helps a little. I know how painful it is when the stud snaps or you break something you know you're not suppose to break. I've spent my fair share of time in the O'Reilly's Help! aisle.

Larry

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #3 of 3 Old Dec 12th, 2014, 1:57 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Re: Broken cam bearing cap stud

You did everything correctly just bad luck (or bad PO). Just remove the stud and replace it. By the way just run the nuts down sequentially until you see the caps seating then worry about the torque. You don't need to baby these but but 10 Nm is just about snug or slightly over snug. In other words if you have a box end wrench you can spin the wrench with one finger until you need more to make it turn you are really close to 10 Nm.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in