Hot Weather Hint - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 1:37 am Thread Starter

Thumbs up Hot Weather Hint

I discovered an interesting phenomena on Saturday. It was 112 here and I was headed to an outside event so I did something I never do when I ride... I wore shorts. I still wore my riding jacket and gloves, but I didn't think there would be anywhere to change so I made the 10 mile ride in shorts. Here's what I discovered.

As we all know the heat coming off the radiator can burn the hair off your legs. Initially I thought I'd spread my legs to catch as much air as possible to cool my legs. Bad idea, the heat was unberable. So I squeezed the tank. I was amazed to find that all the air and heat was deflected around my legs and it was a comfortable drive. I would have never guessed. With pants I have always endured the heat, now I know that the best riding position is squeezing the legs together and letting the air go around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 2:32 am

Hi Lee,

so I guess your hint here must be to ride with your legs squeezing the tank and not to ride with shorts...

I've made a holy promise never to ride with improper gear but let's see how I can keep it on our ride from Calgary to CCR...
We are used to taking sauna several times a week but usually with a lot less clothing on.

Regards

Ari "the Farkle-Freak-Finn" Ignatius

Hyvinkää, Finland
2004 ('05) LT, Dark Graphite, "Sunset Cruiser II"

Bike trip from Finland to USA:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pictures of various farkle projects:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 5:52 am

I ride in shorts all the time, but wear mesh pants. I just love the double takes you get when you walk into a place wearing shorts, a tank tops.... and boots.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok

post #4 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 6:53 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grifscoots
I ride in shorts all the time, but wear mesh pants. I just love the double takes you get when you walk into a place wearing shorts, a tank tops.... and boots.
I bet in that outfit you get hit on a lot to...

Sorry, couldn't resist Grif...
post #5 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:13 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfxray
I bet in that outfit you get hit on a lot to...

Sorry, couldn't resist Grif...
And I try to get a different table!!!!
post #6 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:25 am

Smile

ATGATT Baby! Etcetera
post #7 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 2:08 pm

You know you could probably ride in the winter with shorts keeping your legs out. (leg warmers) Sorry could not resist.
post #8 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 3:57 pm

Quote:
Now there's a mental image I could have done without!
post #9 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 5:11 pm

Quote:
Here in Texas, I bet there a quite a few places that nobody even notices. I usually switch to sandals, it drives my kids crazy when I leave my socks on.

--Bo
2013 Magma Red R1200GSA
2012 Candy Apple Red R1200R
2007 (2006 Blue Panels) R1200GS (RIP Poteau, OK)
2006 Graphite K1200GT (sold)
2002 Titan Silver LT (sold)

Don't Panic!
Achtung! böse Eichhörnchen!
post #10 of 11 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 6:18 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas42
I usually switch to sandals, it drives my kids crazy when I leave my socks on.
Good grief man! That's the sign of someone fixing to have to enter a rest
home!

Yeah, I carry sandals with me, too. Depends how long I'll be off the bike, this constant dis-robing, robing thang is cwazy.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

-=grif=-

Grok
post #11 of 11 Old Jul 25th, 2006, 11:26 pm

Quote:
Good grief man! That's the sign of someone fixing to have to enter a rest
home!

Yeah, I carry sandals with me, too. Depends how long I'll be off the bike, this constant dis-robing, robing thang is cwazy.
Hey...what's wrong with socks and sandals???? I even (sometimes) leave my casa like that and my son walks about thirty feet behind me.

"BONES" <///><

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in