Dropped LT Club :( - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 7:42 pm Thread Starter

Dropped LT Club :(

Well, I was hoping to never be a member of this club, but sign me up boys! The wife and I pulled into Wendy's last night (parking lot has a slight incline). Put the side stand down, got off the bike and was walking around to put my helmet in the top case. Rolled forward just a bit and down she went! What really scared me was that my wife (God love her) was trying to catch it And now she has a HUGE bruise on her leg to prove it. She told me after she was not trying to catch it just stop it from rolling forward...Only damage was broken antenna and my pride. Learned a valuable lesson.....PUT IT IN GEAR when parking! BYW thanks to all on this site. Had I not downloaded a video showing how to pick the beast up, I would have been in a world of hurt....Technique worked great and up she came!!!!!

Thanks again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 7:53 pm

Sorry to hear you went over to the dark side.
I've got in the habit of turnng the bike motor off by putting down the kickstand while in gear. Then I push the bike foward, then look the kicksand down as I settle the bike on it. Caught it once and saw the kickstand was not all the way down. Once I caught it pushing through the ground, as I saw the ground give. I moved the bike up to a better spot. Still being super careful not to join the other side.

Just Go
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mike
Cleveland Ohio
2019 K1600b Grand America, Blue Max.
post #3 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:07 pm
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car

Welcome aboard!! You are in very good company in the DROPPERS CLUB. It's not a matter if but when you will join the ranks ! So becareful not to join the MULTi DROPPERS

Stevie Shreeve

post #4 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:08 pm

Now that's a "keeper".. a woman who'll dive under your bike to save it! Yes indeed!

Now, don't vow to "NEVER" have it happen.. just don't let your wife dive under the bike..

J.M.J...
Dcn Channing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:34 pm

Me too

I also joined the club this summer!!! Dropped it doing a U turn in Winnepeg, Manitoba at slow speed (ie TOO SLOW!!!) during a trip with my son from Ontario to Alberta. No real damage to me or the bike. I had read all about how to just let it go and keep out of the way. I had also watched the video on how to get it back up - real simple when you know how.
I had really thought I was careful enough to not drop it - but now I'm more knowledgeable on the limits.

2015 K1600GTL
1970 Plymouth Superbird 440-6bbl
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Fastback 340-auto
1969 Plymouth Barracuda Convertible, 6.1 L SRT8 Hemi transplant
post #6 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:35 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by makinne
Learned a valuable lesson.....PUT IT IN GEAR when parking!
I imagine putting ole Toad in first gear when I park is becuz of the habit of not leaving my two manual-shift cages in neutral. (Doesn't mean I'm not a member of the club tho!!! ).

And not to totally hi-jack the thread, butt..... wonder if the FJR AE has a *P* for park indicator?!?!
post #7 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:54 pm

Welcome to the Club!

Mark, you're in good company. I dropped mine twice when no one was on it (both times it was on the center stand and rolled forward because it was parked on the slightest downhill grade; that's all it takes).

Hope your wife's booboo heals quickly, and tell her never, ever try to stop it -- just let it fall. It's not worth a wrenched back, or worse.

When you use the side stand you should roll it forward until you feel engine compression (apologies to all the hyper-technical guys out there if that is the wrong term). This acts as a brake, to keep it from rolling forward.

(signed)
DA #7354

Howard Schisler
2015 BMW K1600GTL
2009 BMW K1200LT - 60k miles
2012 BMW F650GS (sold)
2005 BMW K1200LT - "Gray Ghost", traded at 120k miles
2005 Honda Shadow 650 (sold)
AMA, IBA, BMW MOA. CCRs: Braselton 2006, Osage Beach 2007, Duluth 2012

[/URL]
post #8 of 26 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:01 pm

Unhappy First time whilst riding

Have had the bike fall 3 times when not paying attention where I was stopping (have to take particular care when you are only 5'4" tall). Those slopes and potholes have a lot to answer for.

Have just moved to Tasmania and was taking the bike for its first service to BMW at Hobart. Was going around a roundabout and the font wheel went out after hitting some oil. It was the most gently come-off I have ever had. I was only doing about 25-30kms/hr and the bike slid for approx. 30 metres. Only damage was to the lower fairing and wings. Chamfered half of the metal off the RH wing support.

It is amazing how much protection is afforded the LT by the wings. My previous BMW's would have had massive fairing damage.

Cheers
post #9 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 2:23 am

Hail Hail the Brave Wife Club

My wife whew...what a brave soul.

I had just spent 1800.00 getting my RT Custom painted, and then I had ridden to St. Pete/Tampa to visit a friend. Being gone for a week and her being 8mos pregnant...when I got home she rushed out to see me. I was getting off the RT, and I was standing there taking off my gear and it was on the side stand. Well, the brick I had it on, tipped upwards and my wife was on the "safe" side of the fall. Well, I was about 2steps to far to grab it, my wife was right next to it and attempted to hang on to it....it fell and she stepped into the fall with it, and just as she did, her right shin came into FULL contact with the Catalytic Converter...whom I must say after getting off a SS1K....was RATHER warm....needless to say, she left about a 5" circle of skin stuck to the converter....rushed her to the hospital and being she was 8mos prego, they couldn't administer anything....REAL good in the pain medicine.

So, to this day...with the nasty scar she has...she always says that is HER proof that she loves me.

Let the bikes go.... do NOT try and stop them....... I would spend 15K RIGHT NOW to go back in time and get her out of the way.

Damage to the bike was minimal, about 100.00 to replace valvecover guard and had to take the bike in for one small touch up which they did on warranty.

Am glad you and the Mrs. are ok and the damage was minimal. I have dropped mine once in the garage...and almost at the top of Skyline drive...I was holding and holding and holding...I was still on the bike...and I asked the assistance of a bystander who helped me right her. I know that goes against me telling you to let it go...but I was still on the bike, and was able to hold it till he came over... had I been off the bike< I would have backed away and yelled "timber"

May that be your last drop.

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #10 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 3:45 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by pieceofficer
So, to this day...with the nasty scar she has...she always says that is HER proof that she loves me.
Wow
Sorry for the wife but it's a good thing she takes it with humor after all
Frightening story anyway...

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
post #11 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 6:36 am

What video are you referring to? It might be something I should see before I drop my bike!
post #12 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:16 am

Over she goes.

Congratulations Makinne.

Welcome to that not-so-exclusive club. Very happy to hear your wife wasn't seriously hurt. Tell her to never get in the way of a falling LT. That's a great way to sustain some terrible injuries.
Yes, that technique for lifting these behemoths is a ripper hey! Did your black side bumpers reduce the damage somewhat, or does yours have those silly chrome bits on the side you see around on some LT's?

Once again, welcome, and try not to join the "repeaters" club.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]

1999 K1200LT Champagne "Bismarck"
1983 base K100 "Bavarian Belle"
post #13 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:54 am

As others have said: Welcome.

I joined the club at Americade this year. Dropped my LT exiting a parking spot, where I needed to take a hard left turn, on an uphill grade, at about 2 MPH.

The good news? Within 15 seconds there were a dozen bikers there to help me right the Beast, and not one person made me feel bad for doing it. In fact, they were quick to offer stories about the last time they had dropped their bike.

No harm, no foul.

'06 K1200LT Ocean Blue Metallic
'06 GL1800 Candy Black Cherry
Recovering Harley Rider

42° 41.663' N / 73° 38.651' W

post #14 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:58 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrowbmw
Congratulations Makinne.

Welcome to that not-so-exclusive club. Very happy to hear your wife wasn't seriously hurt. Tell her to never get in the way of a falling LT. That's a great way to sustain some terrible injuries.
Yes, that technique for lifting these behemoths is a ripper hey! Did your black side bumpers reduce the damage somewhat, or does yours have those silly chrome bits on the side you see around on some LT's?

Once again, welcome, and try not to join the "repeaters" club.

Kindest regards
Paul Harrington
Australia
[email protected]
Black bumpers worked as designed a very small scape on one but you really can not tell. I have to hand it to BMW for designing the bike the way they did. Thanks for all the find words regarding the wife. She is laughing about it now
post #15 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:00 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reklabunde
What video are you referring to? It might be something I should see before I drop my bike!
Not sure where it is at but if you do a search on the forum you will probably find it. If not let me know I have a copy at home and I would be glad to e-mail it to you.
post #16 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:16 am

MOA Rally Tipover

Had the pleasure of helping a couple camped across from us right a fallen LT up at the MOA Rally yesterday morning as we were all getting ready to leave as the rain continued to fall in the dirt-to-muddy field. He claimed he thought the side stand was down. We had a laugh together as we parted when I said, “Don’t leave yet, because you might have to help me right mine when I go over!”

Welcome aboard! I joined the club in 05’ on another VT ride!

GoldRush
'06 K1200LT - As of March 2017!
'05 K1200LT - RIP - (totaled 7/8/08)
Former Yankee Beemer Member
Former BMWMOA Member
post #17 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:16 am

Quote:

Here
ya go. I found it in the FAQ section.

Last edited by Dick; Jul 24th, 2006 at 9:19 am. Reason: Technical correction.
post #18 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 10:56 am

Mark;

Glad to hear that your SO is OK... and laughing about the whole experience... ;-) I always say "damage to pride is OK, just so long as there is no damage to you!"

In cruising these threads, there was mention of low speed mishaps. "Slight turn of the front wheel and grabbing the brake... down she goes..." I just get my new '06', not even 80 miles on it and do exactely what the chior had been preaching. While it did not go all the way down, it told me in no uncertain terms that one day it will. Having dropped other bikes for a total of 6 times, number 7 may be just around the corner.

The big question is; "It's a natural reaction to try and keep an upset from happening... how do you condition yourself to not jump in to keep the beast on it's feet?"

Glad alls well...

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #19 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 1:08 pm

Video

Dick,
I was unable to get this video to open. May just be the firewall at the office...was wondering if anyone else was able to get that link to open.

Bill

Bill

Colorado Springs, CO
2003 K1200LTE "Infinite"
2002 HD FXDL "Kristi"
2002 K1200RS "Monique"
1996 R1100RT "Kami"
1988 K75s no name
post #20 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 1:21 pm

Quote:
Dick,
I was unable to get this video to open. May just be the firewall at the office...was wondering if anyone else was able to get that link to open.

Bill
Bill - you're right. It no longer opens for me either. Maybe John moved it or it's somewhere else on the list archives. I'll do some more checking to see if I have it on my PC. Stay tuned.
post #21 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 1:33 pm

Quote:
Dick,

Bill
Try this location...

ftp://24.234.152.71/revspickup.mov

Bob Darkey
post #22 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 1:39 pm
Cat Herder

Garage
Video is Back On Line

Thanks to Cox Cable, I lost all service to my servers so the video and everything else was down... Its still up there..

Go to ftp://24.234.152.71/revspickup.mov and it will download a Quicktime file and play in you browser.

jeff

Tvguy
'16 R1200RT - "Golden Eye"
'11 R1200RT - "Night Fury" SOLD
'02 K1200LTE - "The Silver Bullet" SOLD

post #23 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 4:10 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy
Thanks to Cox Cable, I lost all service to my servers so the video and everything else was down... Its still up there..

Go to ftp://24.234.152.71/revspickup.mov and it will download a Quicktime file and play in you browser.

jeff
Thanks, Jeff. Thought I wuz loosin' it there for a bit!!
post #24 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 8:53 pm

I hate to sound silly, but has anyone considered NOT parking the bike nose down on a grade?

My previous bike (Intruder 1400) was more than notorious for rolling forward off the sidestand. Just look at them wrong, and watch them go! I got into the habit of backing into parking areas that sloped slightly downhill, so the front wheel always faced uphill. Still do it with the LT. Besides, it's a lot easier to let gravity help you roll the beast backwards down the slope and into the parking spot than to either try to push it backwards, or put an awful strain on the reverser going uphill trying to back out.

About the only time I have difficulty backing into a spot is when some moron in a cage decides to swing into the open spot because he thinks I don't want it when I ride past in preparation for backing in.
post #25 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:25 pm

I dropped mine last week in my very own driveway. This is the lake home driveway which is sand and rock. It's so dry up there that I hit a deep patch of sand at too slow a speed and it didn't actually drop, it went from upright to laying on it's side in like zero seconds. It actually made me laugh. So I know the first thing to do when you drop a bike is to walk away and collect your thoughts. Then empty the topcase of the two six packs of 24 oz bottles. Then notice that the front wheel isn't touching the ground. Bad sign.

But I got it up the "approved way", I even remembered to put the kickstand out before pushing it back up. (It fell on the right side) Since it fell on soft sand and ferns no damage, cept to my pride.

As far as getting off the bike before the passenger, my rule is the passenger gets on after me and off before me. Otherwise if the bike tips over they might feel responsible. I put both feet flat on the ground, hold onto the bars and say GET OFF NOW PLEASE. It works better that way.
post #26 of 26 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 11:56 pm

Quote:
No, there is no pre-requisites, you can just drop it any way you like.
Now for picking it up the video ain't bad.
Rock

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in