Was a little cold this morning so I clicked on the grip warmers for the first time - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 2:01 pm Thread Starter

Was a little cold this morning so I clicked on the grip warmers for the first time

So I've had the bike about 3 months and this morning at 5am I was riding to work it was a little cold so I clicked on the grip warmers and after a few minutes I felt my throttle hand get nice and warm, however my left hand was still getting a cold. I gave it a few more minutes to see if it would fire up but nothing.

When I got to work, I slowly lifted up the grip and to my surprise I found there is no heat element wrapped around the left handlebar, just black plastic. I see a silver wire that looks like it was broken stuffed under the grip.

So here's the question. Do I need to replace the entire assembly or is there is a replacement heater element I can buy?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 7:30 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage
Re: Was a little cold this morning so I clicked on the grip warmers for the first tim

Unusual to just have one side installed I would think, unless removed by previous owner...
The heating wire can break or more likely burn through in a hot spot.
Repairable with care.
Really need to peel back the grip to see what's happening.
To your original question.
LHS Part number for heating element. 61317694811 (Just confirm)
OEM or Max to check part numbers.

Cheers and enjoy the site.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #3 of 7 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 7:51 pm Thread Starter

Re: Was a little cold this morning so I clicked on the grip warmers for the first tim

So I removed the grip and it looks like the entire heater element has been stripped off.. dammit.

I appreciate the part number. Will this part # get me the heater element and a new grip? How would I go about removing the old one and installing the new one?

post #4 of 7 Old Dec 9th, 2014, 7:08 pm
Miles of Smiles

Garage

That's just the heater element. The grips are another part.
I haven't replaced mine as such, just repaired. IIRC it requires quite
a bit of tupperware removal as you need to feed the leads down through
the handle bars to the connector. As you have them installed already,
not sure if it's possible to just solder to existing leads.

Jenna: Ocean Blue '06
Hilton: Head of the Steering Committee.
Rena: The Committee.
ET4 Thing 1
ET4 Thing 2
post #5 of 7 Old Dec 9th, 2014, 9:49 pm

Check eBay or Beemer Boneyard for a used grip heater, unless of course you just want brand new and can handle the sticker shock. If you need a new grip rubber you can replace both sides with part number 32 72 2 332 620. It is actually a grip for another model BMW but fits both sides of the K1200LT and is much cheaper than the K1200LT original part. Once installed you really won't see much of a difference and I have found that this grip rubber has lasted much longer than my original grips.

To install the new grip rubber you first remove the old by very carefully cutting off the old grip (sharp knife, great patience) starting from the end closest to the center of the bike, then peeling it away. You must not cut down into the heating element or damage the element while peeling away the old rubber which will be slightly stuck to the heating element.

Once the old rubber is off and the area is gently cleaned (time to install your replacement heating element and run the wire) you need to prepare the new grips. If you bought the part number I recommended you will first need to strip the rubber off of a plastic insert that comes with that particular part. Once stripped off, I applied a bit of contact adhesive to the inside of the grip then slid the grip into place, checked that the rubber was seated all the way down then let it sit and cure for 48 hours. I've tried using silicone/RTV but it eventually released and having a throttle grip spin in your hand while riding can be a bit of a problem.

The cheapest fix for replacing the grip rubber is to buy a set of Grip Puppies that slip over the existing rubber. This also increases the outer diameter of the grip which may feel better to you and adds a bit of extra cushioning.

Good luck!

Steve Green
US Army (Ret)
2002 KLT
Titan Silver

I don't like making plans for the day....because then the word "premeditated" gets thrown around in the courtroom.
post #6 of 7 Old Dec 10th, 2014, 1:59 pm

+1 on the Grip Puppies. I have them on my 02 and love them. They increase the diameter on the grip but the heat works well with them.
post #7 of 7 Old Dec 10th, 2014, 3:32 pm

Another nod for the Grip Puppies. I have been using them since I got my bike and really like them. Not too often do I need to turn on my grip heaters but you still feel them with the Grip Puppies.

"BONES" <///><
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2018 R1200RT
2002 K1200LTC--- Belle

"My wife and I have an understanding. I won't try to run her life and I won't try to run mine."

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in