Bike not starting - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 10:39 am Thread Starter

Bike not starting

Hello all!! I'm fairly new to the group and to BMW. I bought a used 2004 K1200LT in September with 20K on it and I'm having an issue with it not starting. They guy that owned it put in a new battery about April, but twice this year- It hasn't started. The first time it sat for 2 weeks and didn't start and I took the battery out charged it up and had it load tested and was told it was good. This last time I went to start it this am and all the dashboard lights came on but nothing when I hit the starter button. I rode a week ago Sunday so I can't imagine how the battery could be dead. Is there something with the alarm fob or something else I could be missing that causes this to happen??

Also I've seen some different answers on the port by the gear shift on whether you can plug in batter tender there. I think I've heard that its only active within about 30 seconds after shutting bike off and I think I've heard that it's always on- does anyone know for sure? When I hooked up the tender this am it showed solid green when I would expect it to be flashing- so completely clueless!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 1:09 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Bike not starting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashman View Post
Hello all!! I'm fairly new to the group and to BMW. I bought a used 2004 K1200LT in September with 20K on it and I'm having an issue with it not starting. They guy that owned it put in a new battery about April, but twice this year- It hasn't started. The first time it sat for 2 weeks and didn't start and I took the battery out charged it up and had it load tested and was told it was good. This last time I went to start it this am and all the dashboard lights came on but nothing when I hit the starter button. I rode a week ago Sunday so I can't imagine how the battery could be dead. Is there something with the alarm fob or something else I could be missing that causes this to happen??

Also I've seen some different answers on the port by the gear shift on whether you can plug in batter tender there. I think I've heard that its only active within about 30 seconds after shutting bike off and I think I've heard that it's always on- does anyone know for sure? When I hooked up the tender this am it showed solid green when I would expect it to be flashing- so completely clueless!!
You can use the outlet by the shifter for the battery tender. The outlet in the top case is only active when the key is on, but the shifter one is hot all the time. The LT does not have the CANBUS. Bikes with the CANBUS electrical system (generally new models after 2005) have the timer circuit, but they too can be 'tended' with a compatible charger, Optimate, BMW's, etc.; or with pigtails hooked directly to the battery.

Motor On ,/'

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 2:13 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The bike has a voltage sensing starter relay and if the battery voltage is low enough it will not allow a start. The static draw (key off and forks locked) is only about 5 mili amps. If it is more than that it will drain the battery in short order unless you have a tender on. That port is always hot but often the wire inside the plug you push in will come loose and not charge the battery. You can unscrew it and see the two screw terminals inside.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #4 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 9:38 pm Thread Starter

Ok- good to know about that port- but sitting for a week- does that seem like it should start right up? My other bike Suzuki Blvd used to set up to 3 before I would get on and crank it up- so that was the part that was worrying me the most. Thanks for all your advice!!
post #5 of 9 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 11:22 pm

Mine doesn't like to be over a week without the Battery Tender.

Ross
K1200LT (99)
post #6 of 9 Old Dec 9th, 2014, 10:27 am
Lifetime Supporter

Cool Re: Bike not starting

Just for grins, if you have the security system, use the fob to lock the bike then unlock with the fob. Then turn the key. My issue has been a bit different from yours but that has helped me several times. Who knows.

My LTs have sat for a month or more and would not have a battery problem. I only use the tender when I am working on something electrical and I will turning on the power switch.

Benton Blalock
"I ride.....the bike doesn't"

'18 Honda Africa Twin Adventure SportDCT
'12 Kawi KLR 650 "Dirty" - traded in
'08 LT Black "Fireball" 113,000+ miles(RIP- transmission - may be seen on the road again)
'05 LT Yeller er Gold? "Ophelia"(RIP- fire) 80,000 miles
'04 R12CLC (RIP- hurricane) 36,000 miles
230,000+ BMW miles
'Rounder'
post #7 of 9 Old Dec 11th, 2014, 12:10 am

I noticed that as my last battery began to "age", it would require the charger more and more often, getting to the point that it didn't work anymore, and I had to replace it. Believe it or not, that fixed the problem...duh! With the new battery I don't ever put it on the charger and it always starts right up!!!

RICH CANNON
2000 K1200LT "a great ride"
2002 GL1800 powerful, but boring..(gone)
1979 XS1100 (gone)
1986 VT500 Ascot (gone)
1972 Honda 500-4 (gone)
1961 Lambretta (way gone)
1962 Allstate Compact (gone but not forgotten)
post #8 of 9 Old Dec 11th, 2014, 1:47 am
Lifetime Supporter

The LTs have a constant electrical draw for the radio and the engine control system. Not starting after one or two weeks is normal. Get a good regulated charger.

post #9 of 9 Old Dec 11th, 2014, 9:03 am

Battery Tenders solve a lot of problems and prevent a few. A simple "pig Tail" connected to the battery makes the hook up very easy.

Most of the K1600's come with it already installed. Prevention is the key.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in