New guy checking in. - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By gggGary

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

New guy checking in.

Hey all just joined the fold. 02 with 127K just followed me home.
Late in the year been watching this bike on CL slowly dropping in price. On a whim I texted a low ball warning and got a bring cash reply, game on! Fired up the van and headed to Green Bay, guy was a small time car dealer, bought it at auto auction, rode it all summer, had just bought a bunch of snowmobiles and needed cash bad. P,ig in a poke kind of deal, body looked good, was sitting, running, when I got there but the battery was flat wouldn't crank over when I killed it. 20 degrees and 200 yards of ice covered driveway ruled out a test ride, ABS lights were wigwaming. Into the van and home. On the lift in the heated garage for a clean up, once over and get it ready to take a test ride. Battery took and held a charge. Anti freeze wasn't visible in the bottle, so went to town found a gallon of genUwine Beemer coolant right here in Baraboo, a NAPA filter, filter cup wrench, and 4 quarts of 20-50. Guy said he put on 7500 miles this year and "only added a quart" No changes.... So \i was kinda worried about coolant oil pump failure.
pulled the radiator cap with this.
New guy checking in.-rad-tool.jpg
New guy checking in.-rad-cap-tool.jpg
Radiator was full no oil on a paper towel dipped in the neck. there was some coolant in the bottom of the bottle. added more and went at the oil change. Oil came out black, whew! filter cup wouldn't fit in the hole so hack sawed off the lip no joy, read yet another thread on here and my "mark II" filter remover did the trick.

New guy checking in.-filter-tool.jpg

the cup wrench worked fine on the NAPA/Wix filter Found two filter seals in the oil so pulled the new filter back off and it's seal was on the filter. So it had been running with two seals on the filter! Battery charged up it started and ran backed it out filled the tank with premium and headed out for 45 miles at 37 degrees. Had to be careful, minor roads had some ice on them. Gonna love heated grips and seat here in Wisconsin! No serious issues everything works, even the cruise. Idles a touch rough, need to do a TPS reset. PO had new rear pads so I pulled the caliper but the pads were fine sanded em a touch and put em' back in. Brakes work fine, good lever pressure, checked the high side of the rear res, but not the lower, will continue to T/S the brakes per the various threads. Pulled the LH lower plastic and did a cold compression test. plugs looked good.

New guy checking in.-bimmer-018.jpg
Compression
#1 185
#2 159
#3 176
#4 188
Good enough for a cold engine....

Straightened the LH tip over bar and will pull and do the RH one.
Near the end of the ride I got my "initiation". Busy town stop sign with some snow, slush, hill, taking a right turn, traffic came, re-stopped and before I could catch it bike was in full beached whale mode. A cage driver helped me right it and back home I went.
So the short list is;

brake R&R
final drive inspection.
air filter, fuel pump, filter, line and disconnects checks.
I'll see if I can get a major service list completed.
got the radio face cleaned up.
Tires are good and not old.
Bike has two aerials and a lot of wiring including a set of connectors above the dash... CB???
Still need to get through the owners manual, there sure are a lot of buttons, knobs, and gauges!

As it came out of the van.

tie down removed the mirror while in the van, the fall did no damage. Mirror tethers are on the list of to-do's.
So hey all. Found a great resource here. I'll admit I was surprised at all the down to earth guys and advice I've found already. Sorry but from the outside the Beemer crowd can appear a bit, well never mind that!
cws likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 9:25 pm
cws

Garage
Re: New guy checking in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gggGary View Post
Sorry but from the outside the Beemer crowd can appear a bit, well never mind that!
Its much warmer on the inside... Sounds like you've got a good handle on any issues...

ps.. whats that white stuff... looks like a beach

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #3 of 12 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 8:19 am
Lifetime Supporter

Welcome to the family.

Sounds like you have a handle on getting yours running.
Yes the second antenna would have been for a CB, factory one was mounted on the left handle bar. Looks like you have the comm system on the bike so you might be able to get a CB running again. Do a Ebay search they sometime show up there.

John Baker

2005 BMW K1200LT
1979 Suzuki GS1000E
1978 Honda CB350
1975 Suzuki GT380

post #4 of 12 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 9:36 am

I also own 02 model. You will love it, just do your thing and ride it. With the white stuff I saw in picture might be a while. I live in South Carolina and we are able to ride year round. My wife is in real estate business and will be glad to sell you a house here. LOL Good luck and enjoy.
post #5 of 12 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 11:00 am

Mirror tethers:
Back in the days when the K1200LT was still on the showroom floor,
Our local dealer (BMWOR) was installing them on the bikes they had using black shoelaces & small bundle ties (zip tie).
Works good, lasts a long time.

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #6 of 12 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 11:25 am Thread Starter

the ABS is the sticking (starting) point, need to get a handle on that before the minor details. Brakes work have the slow wigwag need to check add fluid to both halves of the rear reservoir.
Was real worried about a leaky pumpkin seal but found the fill cap was loose... That may have a meaning all of it's own but I'll clean real good and see what happens.
Is that big oddball connector in the radio compartment the charging port for the missing hand torch?
Sposed to see 50 and sun later this week. Salt be damned she's gonna get ridden work permitting.
Sorry about so many questions got the through the owners manual this morning that covered a few mystery buttons. The alarm is quite perplexing, and I only seem to have the German handbook for that. No sprechen sie deutsch.
post #7 of 12 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 12:51 pm

First things first.
Brakes are easy, you need those mirror tethers now.
(Trust me).

Rand & Susan Hawksworth
2000 K1200LT
post #8 of 12 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 2:25 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Normal sequence is a rapid flash for the first half of the brake self test, then it switches to a slower wig wag until the rolling test is complete. You must cover at least 50 ft (+/-). Then the lights go out. If they continue flashing after the rolling test then top off both halves of the rear reservoir as they are very sensitive to fluid level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	res 2.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	29.4 KB
ID:	70225  

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #9 of 12 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 3:28 pm

Garage

Welcome to the group! You'll love the LT in WI. I rode mine for years when I lived in Appleton. Lowest riding temp was 13 degrees for me. Roads were clear so it was riding weather.

Sure sounds like you have a good handle on the bike. Took me a long time before I ventured under the hood but with the help of guys on this forum and youtube videos by the Kurt of the IL BMW Group, I was able to do my last major maintenance myself!

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #10 of 12 Old Dec 9th, 2014, 12:58 am

Great find. Lots of help on this site. Welcome and put change brake lines on the list.

2000 Lt
800 Kawasaki
25 yrs. without
750 Suzuki
550 Suzuki
160 Honda

The ride is fresh under diamond skies, makes me glad to be alive.
post #11 of 12 Old Dec 9th, 2014, 7:49 am

Smile Re: New guy checking in.

Welcome......you're gonna be checking this great helpful site almost daily as I do. None other like this one that I've found.

====
Bought used K1200LT number 3. This one is green/teal with 31,369(now 7/29/2018 54,143) miles and is an '02. The first 2 bikes made it to near 150,000 miles.

Due to heart health, the Dr says not to ride under 40 degree air temp. Ugh! Now it is harder to get my 18000 miles a year in just in the summer. Guess that stopped my 20 degree rides now.

78 years young!
04 Honda Reflex.....Hers (it mostly sits)
Converted HD rider.
Love this LT bike and still waiting for my first speeding ticket. LOL
Vern

=====
post #12 of 12 Old Dec 28th, 2014, 9:33 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for all the help, with aid of various threads a rear reservoir top off doused the brake warning lights! It still needs a lot of probably delayed maintenance but no warning lights on is a cheery sight.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in