Rear Bearing. To change or not. - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 4:58 pm Thread Starter

Rear Bearing. To change or not.

Whilst paying for my service on Saturday I asked how much a new rear bearing would be and how much to have it fitted. The bearing is about £20 GBP($37.20) and fitting would be about £170 GBP ($317). So for about $350 it is possible to prevent rear drives going completely. The only question is when do you change them or how often? I have a 99 LT with 31,770 miles.
Regards
Terry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 6:42 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Only advice I can offer is change the fluid often (6K or less) and watch for silvery bits in the old oil. When you see them - change the bearing. There really has been no correlation on miles to failure. Many have caught it in time with this method.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 6 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 6:55 pm

Since you can't get a 17 ball bearing I would do as John says.

Brian Ley
WA State of mindless sheep
USA where everything is illegal
2007 K1200GT
2010 650GS
2000 k1200LT Sold but not forgotten
BMWOA 119892

post #4 of 6 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 7:46 pm

Right, just be sure and check for metal on each service (and if it the rear drive should be sounding odd) and you should be able to catch it before any failure.

I got lucky and had a seal on the rear drive unit of my 02 start leaking while still under warranty. The great service manager at the dealership said something like "Oh look, there's metal bits in the oil (nod, nod, wink, wink), do you want that rear bearing changed out under warranty too? To which I replied, why yes sir, please do!

If your worried about it but it's still holding up well, maybe you can hold out till something like a seal gives you a reason to remove the drive.

Follow your front wheel...
Steve S.

1998 Harley Davidson FLHR-P
1998 BMW R1100RT-P (Black Mariah)
2002 BMW K1200LTE (Bayou Buffalo)

If it rolls, floats, flies or shoots, runs on gasoline or gunpowder, is loud, goes fast, or shoots a big bullet, thus producing Torque or Recoil....It's Cool.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:46 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by teejay
Whilst paying for my service on Saturday I asked how much a new rear bearing would be and how much to have it fitted. The bearing is about £20 GBP($37.20) and fitting would be about £170 GBP ($317). So for about $350 it is possible to prevent rear drives going completely. The only question is when do you change them or how often? I have a 99 LT with 31,770 miles.
Regards
Terry

That price doesn't sound right on the bearing. In the US that bearing is about $140.

I don't think anybody knows the root cause of the failures so changing the bearing may not do any good. You may acutally cause an earlier failure than you would have if you just left it alone.

Having a bearing handy so if the drive does fail while your traveling might be a good idea. Just to make sure you don't need to wait for one to be shipped in. Finding a spare drive that you can have someone ship overnight to you might also be an alternative. You'd only lose a day of travel in that case.

Good Luck,
Kevin

1999 K1200LT, patiently waiting for a new model.

Slave Cylinder Procedure->
post #6 of 6 Old Jul 24th, 2006, 9:34 am

I agree. That sounds like the price for the tapered bearing not the crown wheel bearing. As Kevin states, the crown wheel bearing should be about $140 or Pound equivalent.

Alex H Lindsay
Melbourne, FL
Champagne 2001 LT
Space Coast BMW Riders

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in