Winter Maintenance upgrades to 99 LT - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jay bird
  • 1 Post By Jay bird

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 9:25 am Thread Starter

Winter Maintenance upgrades to 99 LT

First, this is my first post although I have spent countless hours reading forum since I purchased my 99 Lt last April and have clocked a little over 7k miles (73,262). She has been well maintained with fd replaced, brake lines, tires, Clutch/master cylinder and regular fluids when I purchased her. Yesterday, I put her in the man cave for winter upgrades. It was a sad moment but she will be fresh and ready for the trips that we have planned next year.

Here are my plans and upgrades on her along with few questions:

1. Change all fluids-easy
2. Change the weak battery-suggestions on type?
3. Install battery tender
4. Install hid to replace current headlights(I have the PIAA lights so I will go with just a low beam 6000k)
5. New windshield-cee cee windshield reverse contour 20" I am 5'10"
6. Install usb charger under my shelf for gps or iPhone
7. Replace broken windshield bracket-(I bought windshield motor and brackets unit on eBay so I don't have to machine it.)
8. Install two ram mounts for electronics-shelf and brake mounts
9. Replace most of the Tupperware screws-any idea where to purchase these without going to bmw dealer 2.00 a piece....ouch!
10. Examine steering dampener- I watched video
11. Front brake lines are metal, rear is a new oem part. Not sure why previous owner did not replace all of them got to figure this one out.
12. I might tackle brown wire fix. I had a few issues last summer when it was hot.
13. Maybe speedo adjustment not high on list
14. A thorough cleaning top to bottom.

Wish list
1. Sargent day long seat upgrade
2. Replace dash cover where fuel lid is. A little scratched and marred.
3. Highway pegs
4. Better riding gear-aerostich suit with heated vest/pants to extend riding season
5. Bluetooth headsets for me and wife(with a great mute button just in case she wants to be a backseat driver!)

Here is something that puzzled me...after my last ride a week ago I noticed a lot of brake dust material on rear rim. I should have taken picture. I'd never seen that before and bike was clean. Any ideas?

Please feel free to add suggestions because this is my first winter break with her and I have a lot miles planned for next year. I am in eastern nc going to the Keys on Easter break, and possibly california and back this summer or at least to the Rockies along with multiple blue ridge weekend trips.

Last edited by Jay bird; Dec 7th, 2014 at 9:31 am.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 10:46 am

Garage
Shift linkage should be cleaned and lubed also. Make sure it's all tight and working good.
post #3 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 11:54 am

Re: Winter Maintenance upgrades to 99 LT

The 1999 doesn't have the "brown wire".

The fix for hot weather hesitation is to unplug the air temperature sensor that is located on the front of the air silencer box.

You want to always run premium fuel if you unplug the sensor.

Oh, here's David S's summary from the Hall of Wisdom: http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/faq.php?..._faq_brownwire

Last edited by CharlieVT; Dec 7th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

post #4 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 7:35 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

The stock organic pads in the rear are very dusty. I am running semi sintered on an EBC rotor. Much less dust.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 14 Old Dec 7th, 2014, 9:00 pm

Not sure if that year has a charcoal cannister but I recommend ditching that if it is still on the bike.
Currently using a Odessey PC680 with one of their chargers.
Go and try on some Klim gear. I'm using their Badlands jacket and Adventure pants. Both are full Gortex and having owned Vanson, Olympia and Teiz nothing fits better on me and and offers that kind of protection. Not cheap but it is something you will own for a long time. Sena makes a good BT set up. I was losing the channels on the stereo so i stripped out and replaced with 12v USB chargers and plenty of room left over. Consider a fuze box if additional electronics are in your future. I'm in Greenville,SC so drop a line if you will be this way. Touring Sport is the local BMW dealer and Thomas McCord is their GM and a great guy. Welcome to the club. Hope you enjoy your rig as much as I have mine.
post #6 of 14 Old Dec 9th, 2014, 12:37 am

The PIAA lights are a plus, but not enough to compete with HID upgrades. When I first installed HID low beam, I saw minimal improvement in light coverage. I have since added HID high beam and love it. The 6000k HID is getting rather blue. In my opinion, the 4300K or 5000K is a better choice...much whiter. Went with the DDM Tuning HID kits.

For highway pegs, I enjoy the Mik-O-Pegs.

Battery Tender Jr. works well for me.

Speedo adjustment is irrelevant if you are using a GPS.

Scott and Theresa
Munising, MI
2004 K1200LT Black
2014 Kawasaki KLR650

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 14 Old Dec 9th, 2014, 2:57 pm

Dump the stock springs and replace them with Hyper Pros. Make sure to rent their spring compressor, the best $20 you'll spend.

Charlie
99 K1200LT
85 R80RT
81 R100RS (Sold it 4/10)
03 Moto Guzzi V11 LeMans
post #8 of 14 Old Dec 11th, 2014, 8:56 pm Thread Starter

I just wanted to say thanks. It makes me want to ride "Camille" more and more every time that I log on. I will be starting my maintenance this weekend and hopefully finish before Christmas(advantage of being in in education that I have 2 weeks off during Christmas).

I have tried on Klim badlands jacket last weekend and I will have to save up for the mortgage on that....lol I am looking an aerostich suit for some reason.

Need to check rear pads and that eased my concerns on something major.

I will look into charcoal canister....I forgot about that.

I only put premium in gas tank and I need to investigate air sensor and correct that. It could be a problem on long trip this summer.
I want to change springs because I think the rear spring is almost shot but don't know how to exactly tell.

Scratch brown wire! Good info.

Definitely change to hid headlights ...great info.

Basically saying screw speedo but I will take chances on blue light bandit.

I have removed radio because of obvious bmw radio issues. I did not think of using the left over electronics to create a electronics center in "glove box".

I have done 7k miles since April and my goal is 10k in 2015. Best experience on two wheels with my bmw. BTW, I have owned a 97 hd fat boy and 03 HD ultra. I love the LT best bike by far especially 2up!

Thanks for info and I am planning on keeping camille even if I decide to buy a small gs or k100 as a run about bike.
jeannot likes this.

Last edited by Jay bird; Dec 11th, 2014 at 9:03 pm.
post #9 of 14 Old Dec 12th, 2014, 10:12 am
Lifetime Supporter

While you're stripping the tupperware and changing coolant, consider replacing the coolant hoses--all of them. IIRC there are 5 all together including the overflow hose. And the thermostat.

Motor On ,/'

post #10 of 14 Old Dec 15th, 2014, 1:33 pm

You will be amazed the improvement on engine response and hesitation unpluging the air temperature sensor can make during a hot summer. I installed a switch on mine so as to be able to disconnect the temp sensor during summer and reconnected it back during winter but it turned out that the bike runs fine with the temp sensor disconnected even during cold winter.
I really dont care much of the speed indicator being unaccurate as I have a GPS that gives me exact speed.
Not sure if your model came with the heated seat. Mine did not and that was an easy upgrade I did later which was really worth as I ride all year long. I bought a used LT heated seat on ebay and installed it on my bike and wired it through a relay.

Alain

Vieux motard que jamais

Last edited by Alpac; Dec 15th, 2014 at 1:39 pm.
post #11 of 14 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 7:47 am Thread Starter

I completed the service and upgrades on my bike. Going through the service history on my bike, in 2004, the fuel disconnects were replaced. So I figured everything was good. However, when I took everything apart I noticed that they were plastic. So I ordered the metal quick connects from Beemer Boneyard just for peace of mind. I was lucky and living on very borrowed time. When I took the first male connector off, I was examining it and snap it broke off in my hand from being brittle. So I went ahead and replaced all the lines and fuel filter inside the tank. Maybe the best money spent then to the HID upgrade.

I did not order Cee Cee Bailey windshield. I polished my OEM shield with headlight restorer and it took some of haze off. I don't look through it anyway but it looks better on bike.

I took it out last weekend and a 70 degree for a 150 mile shake down. I was nervous because I am not a mechanic but a business teacher by trade. However, she was flawless and really got me pumped for some weekenders!
Then the weather in Eastern NC turns into the Polar Express...Depressing!

Thanks to everyone for sharing their knowledge on this board and the videos online because I had a lot of fun working on my bike. Now I need to learn more about electronics and how they work.(My new passion for knowledge.)

Trying to decide if I am going to make plunge on Russell Seats....
Leboyd likes this.
post #12 of 14 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 9:53 am

Garage

Hey, great job. Glad to hear you got it all done and back together. I know it is a great feeling to do that work yourself and be able to ride with pride knowing you saved a lot of money.

ďLife should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!Ē

1997 R1100RT
2000 K1200LT Sold

post #13 of 14 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 3:24 pm

I second the Charcoal canister removal. And the shift linkage clean and lube. If you have GPS. That will give correct speed. I didn't bother with the speedo fix.

2004 K1200LT. Big Mama
1999 Suzuki Intruder VL1500LC. Betty Lou.
I'm a 4 percenter.
post #14 of 14 Old Feb 18th, 2015, 3:57 pm

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay bird View Post
Basically saying screw speedo but I will take chances on blue light bandit.
I did the speedo fix on my 2003 (unfortunately there is no way to calibrate the '05). It was a PITA, but I was so glad I did it. Mentally calculating the 10% over all the time was annoying. Toughest part was getting the cluster out. The fix is just soldering a little piece of wire across two sets of pads on the back of the speedo but you better have a magnifier...they are tiny - or maybe it is just my old eyes.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

Tags
1999 k1200 lt

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in