Winter Maintenance upgrades to 99 LT
First, this is my first post although I have spent countless hours reading forum since I purchased my 99 Lt last April and have clocked a little over 7k miles (73,262). She has been well maintained with fd replaced, brake lines, tires, Clutch/master cylinder and regular fluids when I purchased her. Yesterday, I put her in the man cave for winter upgrades. It was a sad moment but she will be fresh and ready for the trips that we have planned next year.
Here are my plans and upgrades on her along with few questions:
1. Change all fluids-easy
2. Change the weak battery-suggestions on type?
3. Install battery tender
4. Install hid to replace current headlights(I have the PIAA lights so I will go with just a low beam 6000k)
5. New windshield-cee cee windshield reverse contour 20" I am 5'10"
6. Install usb charger under my shelf for gps or iPhone
7. Replace broken windshield bracket-(I bought windshield motor and brackets unit on eBay so I don't have to machine it.)
8. Install two ram mounts for electronics-shelf and brake mounts
9. Replace most of the Tupperware screws-any idea where to purchase these without going to bmw dealer 2.00 a piece....ouch!
10. Examine steering dampener- I watched video
11. Front brake lines are metal, rear is a new oem part. Not sure why previous owner did not replace all of them got to figure this one out.
12. I might tackle brown wire fix. I had a few issues last summer when it was hot.
13. Maybe speedo adjustment not high on list
14. A thorough cleaning top to bottom.
1. Sargent day long seat upgrade
2. Replace dash cover where fuel lid is. A little scratched and marred.
3. Highway pegs
4. Better riding gear-aerostich suit with heated vest/pants to extend riding season
5. Bluetooth headsets for me and wife(with a great mute button just in case she wants to be a backseat driver!)
Here is something that puzzled me...after my last ride a week ago I noticed a lot of brake dust material on rear rim. I should have taken picture. I'd never seen that before and bike was clean. Any ideas?
Please feel free to add suggestions because this is my first winter break with her and I have a lot miles planned for next year. I am in eastern nc going to the Keys on Easter break, and possibly california and back this summer or at least to the Rockies along with multiple blue ridge weekend trips.
Last edited by Jay bird; Dec 7th, 2014 at 9:31 am.