Another Speed Bleeder question - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 2:06 pm Thread Starter

Lightbulb Another Speed Bleeder question

Hi all,

Need to do the maintenance soon and I was wandering about adding Speed bleeders to my '99 LT. But here's my question :

"Do I have to completely drain the system before installing the bleeder I mean, how may I put them if there's liquid on the caliper ? I guess that's not good for air bubble, is it "

There's a good deal on eBay for a 5pcs $38,5...

Thanks for any advice

BMW K1200LT '06 - SUZUKI V-STROM 650 '07
BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1150GS '02 (sold) - YAMAHA Roadliner '06 (sold) - BMW K1200LT '99 (sold) - BMW R1100RT (sold) - HONDA Shadow Aero (sold) - HONDA Shadow 125 (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 5:01 pm

If I remember correctly, my 00 took two different speed bleeders.

I installed mine just before I changed the brake and clutch fluid. Any air that got into the system was removed during the fluid change.

The hardest part was removing the grub screws. Someone on this site suggested using vice grips on those little buggers. worked like charm. guess I'm too used to not chewing up stuff when I take things apart. Course, since I was going to chuck the grub screws, it didn't matter how ugly they looked when I got them out.
Bob 00LT
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 5:48 pm

Fluid will drain continuously once you remove the bleed screw so there should be little chance of getting air into the system. You need to be fairly quick to install the speed bleeder before the reservoir empties completely. That would definitely let air into the system.

ďRes ipsa loquitur, sed quid in infernos dicet?Ē

Alan Stuber
2003 K1200 LTC Titan Silver
Austin, Texas

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 6:11 pm
Gold Supporter

If you remove the grub screw from the front caliper be sure to heat it first or you chance stripping the threads in the caliper.

Jim Davidson
2007 R1200RT
post #5 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 8:31 pm

I am also going to remove the grub screw on my '99 when changing fluid this month.

Do you use recommend using teflon tape or anything on the bleeder threads when installing it?

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050
post #6 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 9:54 pm

No tape

The bleeder seals when it's fully engaged so you don't need any tape or stuff..
Just remember to use a heat gun on the Grub screw adapter on the front caliper. You heat it up and turn it a little then heat it up some more...repeat until the grub screw adapter is removed. then just install the speed bleeder and don't worry about loosing any fluid.. Just put a rag around the caliper to catch any fluid you might loose. It's not going to be flying out just a little drip or two..

You're going to then bleed the brakes anyway so don't worry about an air bubble.

You'll want to get 5 so that you can do the clutch too.... Use heat on the grub screw adapter on the clutch line as well or you stand a good chance of breaking it...It's not difficult when you use the heat...

After you get the speed bleeders installed. Changing the brake fluid and clutch fluid only takes 30 minutes or so... You'll save big bucks by doing it yourself...

Our 99's dont have the integrated brakes so the fluid change is really easy.

Just remember to be careful not to let any fluid get on the paint...

Use a syringe to suck the old fluid out of the reservoir. Then re-fill with fresh fluid. Set the top back on to prevent fluid from shooting out when you pump the brakes to force the new fluid through the system. I just used some aquarium tubing and a pop bottle with a hole drilled in the lid to catch the old fluid. When you see new clean fluid coming into the hose the you've done your job. refill the reservoir to the full mark and put the top back on.. That's all there is to it...

Good Luck..

John

Live and direct from the new earthquake capitol of the U.S. Jones, Oklahoma
08 Can-Am Spyder (Miss Lindy's)
03 R1200CLC Capri Blue "Flipper"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

01 R1100RT Glacier Blue "Lucky"
91 R100GS "It'sNotAMoneyPit"
The voices in my head may not be real, But they have some good ideas!

"I like the wind in my face and Boobies on my back. No, Wait, I got that backwards"

post #7 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:15 pm

Thanks for the info John. I've read about the heat gun so just need to set aside a little time to do the job.

That's one of the benefits of our '99s in my opinion - easy brake fluid changes.

My nearest dealer is a 3 hour ride away, so I'm trying to learn to do a lot of things myself.

Joe

EncoreJoe

"Ride, boldly ride, ... If you seek for Eldorado!"

'10 Triumph Tiger 1050

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in