Ft. Worth Rack Installation - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 2:04 pm Thread Starter

Question Ft. Worth Rack Installation

For those with the Ft. Worth rack:
What tools are required to install the rack? 5mm hex wrench? Anything else? And does the rack come with its own mounting screws?

I’ll be picking one up in a couple weeks, and I would like to have the tools with me to do the installation on the spot.

Thanks!

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

On the road to wreck, and ruin -— but making great time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 2:20 pm

Where did you get it?

Did you get a new one? I'm looking for one ........

Removing the top case one is quite easy. Remove the screw holding the cable that holds on the top winder. Liner is then easily pried out with a thin screw driver along the inside of the latch area. Velcro piece also holds it in place along the side. Four screws on the bottom of the case after you remove the liner insert. (the instructions came quickly as I just did it) Feel free to call if needed. 813 267 8181

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #3 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 3:08 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

yes 5mm allen key or T handle. The kit should come with 4 screws and 4 spacers. Remove top case and install the rack where the original top case screws would have been. If you have the top case moved back, you can decide if you want the rack in the back position or forward position.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

Raffy

post #4 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 3:40 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandiver
Did you get a new one? I'm looking for one ........

Removing the top case one is quite easy. Remove the screw holding the cable that holds on the top winder. Liner is then easily pried out with a thin screw driver along the inside of the latch area. Velcro piece also holds it in place along the side. Four screws on the bottom of the case after you remove the liner insert. (the instructions came quickly as I just did it) Feel free to call if needed. 813 267 8181
Thanks, Dano. But I had no trouble taking the top case off, that job is done.
I have an order into A&S for a new rack. I'm planning on riding over there in the next couple weeks to pick it up. No sense in hauling the whole box and packaging back to Napa. I'll do the install in the lot and ride away.

BTW, good choice on the '02 Tuscany Green. Must be that "great minds" thing again.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #5 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 3:44 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaffyK
yes 5mm allen key or T handle. The kit should come with 4 screws and 4 spacers. Remove top case and install the rack where the original top case screws would have been. If you have the top case moved back, you can decide if you want the rack in the back position or forward position.
10-4, Raffy. Thanks!
I'm still thinking about what (if anything) I will do to add a third brake light, and/or flashing brake light(s) while riding sans top case.

Tom Lashbrook
Napa, CA
Minden, NV

post #6 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 4:22 pm

thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlash
Thanks, Dano. But I had no trouble taking the top case off, that job is done.
I have an order into A&S for a new rack. I'm planning on riding over there in the next couple weeks to pick it up. No sense in hauling the whole box and packaging back to Napa. I'll do the install in the lot and ride away.

BTW, good choice on the '02 Tuscany Green. Must be that "great minds" thing again.
Thanks for the information on A & S. Looks like a great site for parts and accessories. Not too many GREEN ones around. Hardly ever see one like mine.

Dano
Tampa, Fl.

12 K1600 GTL
02 K1200 LT (gone but not forgotten)
post #7 of 7 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 4:55 pm
Senior Member (ret.)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in