2002 k1200ltc center stand retrofit? - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 10:03 pm Thread Starter

2002 k1200ltc center stand retrofit?

Hi guys,

I just purchased a used '02 after considering a new 2005, and saw the value curve much better on this one.....

Anyway, one big feature I traded away from is the electronic center stand that was new in 2005.

Even if it means putting the switch to activate the feature in an odd location (like the center storage compartment) it seems like it would be a great option...

Yea, yea, I know, I looked at the FAQs and it is supposed to be really easy to raise it on the center stand but I find I just don't have the strength to deal with it with my wife on the back -- I need an easy way to steady the bike when she's getting on and off, and found the center stand to be the only foolproof, secure method.

Does anyone know if this electronic center stand feature can be retrofitted to the 2002?

Thanks,

Roger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old Oct 15th, 2005, 11:57 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerK
Hi guys,

I just don't have the strength to deal with it with my wife on the back -- I need an easy way to steady the bike when she's getting on and off,

Thanks,

Roger

side car?

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:14 am Thread Starter

side car?

No, I'm serious. If you know these bikes, you know they are heavy.

If you hav a wife or GF, I'm sure you can appreciate keeping them safe --- having a 900 pound bike flopping around while they get on and off isn't all that safe, ya know...

post #4 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 12:55 am

RogerK,

I take friends/family for a ride regularly and never dropped it yet.
When you get some one to get on/off to make the riders job easier, see if you can find your self some flat ground to start with. put the bike in neutral.hold on the front brake with your hand.put *BOTH* feet on the ground.
get the pillion to get on and off on the left side of the bike.
When the pillion goes to get on the bike lean the bike a little towards the right as when they get on the bike will go towards the left.makes the riders job easier to hold it up.
when they go to get off , do the same.
and make sure the ground your parked on has nothing on the surface so your dont slip your riding boots on, or you will slip and the bike will fall over.
post #5 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 1:12 am

Roger,

The new '05 powered centerstand has it's strengths and drawbacks.

While it is true, you can stop, push the button and get a free ride up. Once you are up, you cannot push a button to bring it down. Also you need to make sure the bike has a level area to deploy the centerstand. Also, if it is headed up hill, you may need a push to get it off of it's centerstand and if you park it pointed down hill, it may just roll off the centerstand. Even with the '05 you can still use the sidestand if that is easier.

Now anyone with the '05 pleas chime in and feel free to correct anything that I described that may be incorrect or need clarification.

I have also hear that it is a pretty big job to put it on an older model as it would require a whole new wiring harness.

Like I said, I do not own one, this is just what I have been told.

HTH,
post #6 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 1:40 am

Quote:
Even if it means putting the switch to activate the feature in an odd location (like the center storage compartment) it seems like it would be a great option...

Does anyone know if this electronic center stand feature can be retrofitted to the 2002?
Hmmm ... where to begin ...

I guess as a first matter, in theory it would be possible to retrofit the '05 stand if you are willing to bypass essentially all the safety wiring and install a separate heavy-duty feed from the battery to power the electric pump (FWIW, I would wire the relay to control the electric pump to include the neutral light in the circuit, so you never operate the stand while in gear (i.e., have the stand try to raise the bike, which at the same time requires the rear wheel to rotate backwards a few inches).

Unless you find a wrecked '05 and have the opportunity to cannibalize *all* the necessary parts (including going back to the hulk to pick off the bits you forget the first time ), you'll need to buy all the parts -- ouch! Electro-hydraulic unit, support frame, centerstand, electrical connector for the pump, frame, skidplate, frame's engine mounts, etc., etc. $$$, and I have no idea whether some of these parts are even available.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this will definitely an up-hill battle, at best.

Quote:
but I find I just don't have the strength to deal with it with my wife on the back -- I need an easy way to steady the bike when she's getting on and off, and found the center stand to be the only foolproof, secure method.
Let's break these down into two separate events:

I cannot remember the last time I had someone get *on* the bike after I had mounted. I always have my passenger mount first, then I get on and, when the passenger is ready, rock forward off the centerstand (sometimes with the passenger rocking forward with me to help) with both feet extended to meet the ground. For reference, I have a 30" inseam.

Thus, for mounting, there's no need to ever have to try to put the bike onto the (02's original) centerstand with a passenger on board, nor to have to try to balance the bike as someone is boarding.

For dismounting, I put both feet on the ground, and then signal the passenger when *I'm* ready that they can get off. I train my passengers to (1) GO SLOW so they don't throw sudden, de-stabilizing forces into the bike, and (2) if possible, slide to the left to put their left foot onto the ground to take up their weight, then slide the right leg over/off the bike; for those that can't reach the ground, I remind them to try to concentrate on keeping their center of mass over the center of the bike as much as possible as they stand up and swing their right leg over the seat and step off -- again, in a slow, controlled manner to minimize sudden inputs to the bike.

FWIW, I'm not dismissing your concern with stability -- apparently it's real, or you wouldn't have taken the time to post. I'm just offering alternatives if the retrofit project proves impractical, as I'm afraid it will.

Good luck!

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #7 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 6:51 am

I've used many methods for getting my wife on/off the LT. My honey has short legs so its hard for her to get her leg over the rear trunk. I keep the LT on the side-stand; mount the bike; hold it secure (on side-stand) and tell her when I'm ready. I lean over the stingray for her to climb aboard. She grabs ahold of my left shoulder and the trunk rack with left foot on footpeg. Somehow she gets on (but with my nose burried in the stingray and usually laughing its hard to tell) Sometimes we have to laugh at ourselves. Use the opposite procedure for getting off.

Sometimes keep the bike straight up but have the sidestand deployed just in case.

Chuck J

02 K1200LT (Black Beauty)

New friends make it all worthwhile!!! Smile, its catching.
post #8 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 7:46 am

I have a friend who installed an 05 center stand on an older bike. After going through cancer surgery, he didn't have the strength to lift his bike. He did have to by pass the safety percussions. He can now enjoy his bike again. I think it cost him about a 1000 dollars for the parts. He did his own labor.
post #9 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 7:57 am

Lightbulb

When my wife dismounts from the bike the engine is off the bike is in gear the bike is on it's compression stroke and on the side stand . At that point I dismount to the right while maintaining front break pressure and stabilize the bike with the handlebars . Next she swings her legs over the driver seat and off to the left , no acrobatics required . Yes I am concerned with side stand and center stand strength. After dismounting I always put the LT on the center stand. The passenger always mounts the bike first when the LT is on the center stand from the left while I stabilize the bike and maintain front break . If on side stand passenger first with me stabilizing the bike . I would also encourage everyone who does not work out to start . Practice lifting your bike on the center stand . I hope this helps.
Pete
post #10 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 8:00 am

2002 k1200ltc center stand retrofit?

I also use the side stand to board/deboard passengers. When boarding, I mount the bike first to help support the bike while on the stand, just in case. My wife will ask if I'm ready and then board using my shoulders as stabilizers while getting on. Pretty much the same in reverse when dismounting. I've had no problems with this system as of yet.

Using the center stand is cool but presents its own difficulties. Mostly that the ground conditions need to be optimal to be safe unlike the side stand which is a bit more liberal.

Anyway, good success with the centerstand project. Sounds like it could be extensive work to do it correctly. Ever thought of trading for an '05?

BuddyP
"The Carolinas"
2003 LTC "Black Beauty"
aka "Tha Motha Ship"
post #11 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 8:18 am

Cool

? How do you put the bike on centerstand while on the bike?
1. I have the passenger dismount, while I stand over the center of the bike.
2. I place the bike on the side stand.
3. I dismount
4. I place the bike on the centerstand.
5. Lock evrything up and set alarm and walk away.
To mount
1. I climb aboard while on the centerstand.
2. Start engine. to activate power brakes
3. Roll bike off centerstand.
4. have pillon hold onto my shoulder, at my signal mount by placing left foot on left peg and stepping through seat, then placing buttocks on pillon and right leg on right peg. plug in helmet cable. pillon taps me on the shoulder when they are ready.
5 shift into 1st gear and ride away

NOGILLS2

Booze Brother# 69
2003 K1200LTE "BEERBURNER" RIP 07/21/09
2006 Aluma Trailer "AFTERBURNER" SOLD
2007 ST1300ABS "Quicksilver"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 15 Old Oct 16th, 2005, 9:29 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by black1200lt
Roger,
you cannot push a button to bring it down. Also you need to make sure the bike has a level area to deploy the centerstand. Also, if it is headed up hill, you may need a push to get it off of it's centerstand and if you park it pointed down hill, it may just roll off the centerstand.
All that is true; The 05 is actually a bit easier to get off the stand with a passenger, as it doesn't go as far "over-center" as the pre-'05 stands. As good as that is for two-up operations, that's not a good thing with forward downhills -- pretty easy to roll off.

Mark Neblett
Fairfax, VA
post #13 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2008, 7:10 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Exclamation Re: 2002 k1200ltc center stand retrofit?

Hi Back in the 70's on my R90/6, I had a Reynolds ride off stand, it kept both wheels firmly on the ground, and was very stable. I would never attempt to get off any bike with a passenger still on a bike.
post #14 of 15 Old Nov 25th, 2008, 10:03 pm

Re: 2002 k1200ltc center stand retrofit?

I have a 02 LTE and retrofit a power center stand to it. It is a one afternoon job. The power stand bolts up with out any modification. The wiring is the part where you will need to be a bit clever. I ran the power thru a 30 amp relay. For the control circuit for the relay I ran thru the neutral safety switch at the transmission. The button to energise the relay to deploy the stand I put next to the right hand grip for ease of use. No you do not have all of the safety devices as the stock setup, but it works just fine. Others have used two switches in as their safety device. It is very doable.

Duane Taylor
Sebastopol, California

2002 K1200LTE
Toscana Green
Ducati Streefighter S
post #15 of 15 Old Nov 26th, 2008, 12:07 am

Re: 2002 k1200ltc center stand retrofit?

Quote:
Does anyone know if this electronic center stand feature can be retrofitted to the 2002?...
Hi, Roger,

The retrofit is not too difficult. Here is a link to picture report on the job:
Retrofit Report on BMWLT.com . Really good info.

I actually intended to do such a job myself on my 'LT two seasons ago and thus bought a take-off from Hannigan (from a trike conversion). Then I refocused my "farkelization" to the 'GS and resold the part to another rider, in Australia.

I am very much used to the manual stand and have no problems with it, even though I am 5'6", 165lbs. Just a matter of technique.

On the other hand, I was also concerned with lifting the machine up and then not being able to take it down. It actually happened to me twice even with the manual stand - and after struggling, I had to unload luggage to drop the bike.

Anyway, as you can see from all posts here, there are strong opinions for and against the powered stand.

Hope this helps.

Robert in Northern NJ

'09 R12GS, '08 R12RT, '03 R1150RT, '01 F650GS - time to thin the herd?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in