Bridgestone Tires - BMW Luxury Touring Community
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By saddleman
  • 2 Post By Ksnarf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 11:16 am Thread Starter

Bridgestone Tires

I am replacing my Metzer tires with Bridgestone front and rear. I have a 2002 LT. Am I making a good decision?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 11:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

Re: Bridgestone Tires

Stay with the Metzler front as it lasts longer. Run 42 front, 48 rear.

Kim Thomson
Motorcycle Cigar Smoker
05 K1200LT - The Golden Rocket Ship
91 K100RS - The White Stallion
85 K100 Standard - Big Red
79 R65 - "The Bee" is a buzzin' again!
06 525i - Premium, Sport, Comfort, Xenons

Gone, but not forgotten...
02 K1200LTC - Big Blue (accident at 40k)
88 K100RT - Chocolate (it was brown, melted - fire)
85 K100RT - (wore out)
82 Yamaha Vision - (electrics)
72 Yamaha R5C 350 - (broke trans)
post #3 of 16 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 11:59 am
Enjoy The Ride

You won't get many miles out of a front Bridgestone tire.
blueknightga6 likes this.

Dave Selvig
2004 Black LT
2000 Canon Red LT

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 16 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 12:07 pm

I love bridgestones, had good results with that company on several different makes of bikes and cars..

later..Randy

2006 LT
Magnesium Shwarz Metalic
Bountiful, Utah
post #5 of 16 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 12:24 pm

Best is Bridgestone rear, something else for front. Bridgestones have the best wet traction, and the rear lasts as long as anything else. Fronts wear pretty fast though.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.
post #6 of 16 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 3:16 pm

NO NO NO!!!!!

You want Avon Storms set at the standard pressure! Had them fitted to my UK 2004 model after Metzelers. Transformed the bike. 2200 miles around Spain in all weathers and roads proved them to me. Fantastic tyres!!!
post #7 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2014, 7:14 am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveford View Post
I am replacing my Metzer tires with Bridgestone front and rear. I have a 2002 LT. Am I making a good decision?
Opinions, opinions....

I love the 'Stones. I've run Avons, Metzeler, and Bridgestones during the 90K+ miles I've put on my 2000 K1200LTi. A great many of those miles were on climbing and twisting roads in the hills and mountains of Vermont.

The front will wear out before the rear and won't last long. I was putting on a new set of tires every 6000K miles when I did a scheduled "BMW Service" or "Inspection".
We are not riding as much as we used to (often ride two up), nor riding as aggessively as we used to. BUT, there was nothing like the feel of the bike in the twisties with a new set of Stones. The bike exudes a grippy confidence with the Stones that the Metzlers lack. (Our riding style was that of trying to go fast, not maximize tire mileage.

As far as those who recommend a tire mix, I have no argument with them; these are experienced riders who have arrived at a solution that works for them. However, I've always stuck with a matched set of tires. I once had a really weird experience with a mixed set of tires. I've forgotten what the exact mix was, but the mixed set handled great for hundreds of miles, and then one day it got bad. Some combination of road surface, temperature, humidity, or whatever and they got really squirrely. I ruled out tire pressure, road/tire contaminants, etc. Ahh, I thought to myself, that's what tire manufacturers are talking about when they recommend against mixing brands.

So if great handling, and confidence in the bike's traction on all kinds of road surface, the Bridgestones are a great choice. They are not the best choice if you're most interested in high mileage.

Addendum: I did run a couple of sets of Avons, I found them to be more like the Bridgestones both in terms of better grip and lower mileage than the Metzlers. But I didn't think there was any big advantage of Avons over Bridgestones.

Last edited by CharlieVT; Dec 6th, 2014 at 7:25 am.
post #8 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2014, 11:26 am
Lifetime Supporter

What is the specific LT rated SKU for the Bridgestones (rear)

AND,

What pressures for solo & 2-up?

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #9 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2014, 1:51 pm

Stick with the Bridgestone rear but when that new front Bridgestone wears out replace it with a Metzeler.

The last Bridgestone I had replaced had 14,647 of mostly 2 up miles on it. The tire shop said it MAY have had about another 2,000 of local miles on it but agreed that it was a good idea to replace before a trip. The motorcycle had Metzelers on it when I bought it and the rear Metzeler had 12,536 miles on it when I replaced it.

I used a front Bridgestone ONCE and got only 7,586 miles before it needed replacing so I went back to a Metzeler front. By contrast the last front Metzeler I replaced had 17,146 on it and I replaced it with another Metzeler.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #10 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2014, 4:48 pm
Wrencher Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PMitchell View Post
What is the specific LT rated SKU for the Bridgestones (rear)

AND,

What pressures for solo & 2-up?
The SKU is 8-03080012

I run 48 all the time.

John
2009 K1300GT Red Rocket
2009 R1200GS (Gone)
2005 K1200LT Ocean Blue Blue Wizard 110 K and counting...
2006 Bushtec Turbo+2 Spell
2004 330 Ci Convertable
K4AN

Have ridden a Motorcycle in all 48
But lack DE, MA, RI and CT with the 2005 LT

post #11 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2014, 5:09 pm

It's not always about mileage... Thinking strictly mileage is like buying tennis shoes and going to a formal dinner. Yeah, they feel good on your feet, but the look is definitely "across the tracks"...

From where I sit... Safety over mileage each and every day...

Bridgy's are a nice tire. Good all around grip. With an almost anal compulsion to check your pressures, brake before going into turns while your upright, and keep your heavy hand off the throttle, you'll get decent miles out of these tires. One set gave me 12K trouble free miles, had at least another 3K in them AND they remained round (not scalloped) when I retired the set.

Uncle Mark

BMW '06' 1200LT "Wild Blue"

BMWMOA Member #127457
Honda CX500 Custom - RIP '00'

"An intelligence agency that FEARS intelligence? Historically, not awesome." . . . From what movie?

post #12 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2014, 5:31 pm
Gold Supporter

Garage

Had only run stones on all three of my LTs but was never happy with the 6,000 to 7,000 max miles I was getting out of them. I just put an a new Metzler in the front and kept the stone on the rear. Rode aggressively in Death Valley and did not notice any performance difference. I hope the Metzler will give me the 10 to 11K miles I get out of the stone in the rear.

2005 K1200 LT "Graphite Graydude Metallic"

Todd "Graydude" Ask me why I'm the best Realtor you've ever met!

IBA#22266
post #13 of 16 Old Dec 6th, 2014, 7:05 pm
Lifetime Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jzeiler View Post
The SKU is 8-03080012

I run 48 all the time.
Thanks John!

pm
--
Life is too short to do anything
other than that about which you
are absolutely passionate . . .
Ride till you can't!

"Der Weg ist das Ziel"
2005 Pyrenees of France & Spain
2006 Tuscany

2011 South Africa

2014 The Dolomites of Italy, Alps of Switzerland & Austria and returning to Milan via the "Gold Coast" of the French Riveria.

2016 Northern & Central Spain & Portugal

2018 Central & Eastern Europe: Slovenia, Austria, Poland,Hungary, Czech Republic & Slovakia!

2019 Maritime Provinces of Canada & New England 3,500 miles

'18 R1200RTW
'00 K1200LTC (Dealer is taking on consignment!)
'90 K75-Sold to a new BMW owner (2016)
'62 R 50/2 (Rode hard and put away wet)-Sold in '81
'63 Vespa 150 (1st and only dirt bike!)
Sold in '67

post #14 of 16 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 4:29 pm

Garage

My front Stone will need to be replaced and I have an Avon Storm 2 to put on. When it is time to replace the rear, I'll be putting another Stone on there.

1973 Yamaha 250 Enduro (crash and burn)
1982 Yamaha Virago 920 (sold)
Honda CB750 Custom (sold...good riddins!)
2003 K1200LT - Black (for sale)
2005 K1200LT - Ocean Blue Metallic

post #15 of 16 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 5:15 pm

I have run Metz 880's on a few of my bikes and I love them. That being said, when my current set runs out I will be replacing the back with a bridgestone and getting another 880 for the front. That particular setup seems to be popular among the member here.
dshealey and Razmataz like this.
post #16 of 16 Old Dec 8th, 2014, 5:44 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksnarf View Post
I have run Metz 880's on a few of my bikes and I love them. That being said, when my current set runs out I will be replacing the back with a bridgestone and getting another 880 for the front. That particular setup seems to be popular among the member here.
Good choice. The Bridgestone is hard to beat on the rear, but they are not so good up front. At least that was my experience with the BT020 in the past. Do not know what the newest Bridgestones are.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in