radio problems - BMW Luxury Touring Community

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old Jul 22nd, 2006, 11:50 pm Thread Starter

radio problems

I purchased my 03 LT about 10 months ago and I really love riding it. The only problem I've had is with the radio. Not long after I bought my bike, the radio quit working and now its gone out again. Can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong. Or is this just a on going problem that BMW is having? Help me please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 1:01 am

03 Radio

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmc88_2
I purchased my 03 LT about 10 months ago and I really love riding it. The only problem I've had is with the radio. Not long after I bought my bike, the radio quit working and now its gone out again. Can anyone shed any light on what I'm doing wrong. Or is this just a on going problem that BMW is having? Help me please
Mine has gone out twice from unknown causes. Fortunately it has been repaired under warrantee.
post #3 of 8 Old Jul 23rd, 2006, 7:54 am

Have you tried a radio reboot. It works quite often....disconnect the battery for about 30 minutes, then reconnect it. Hope it works for you!

Ron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

747,891 miles on touring motorcycles since 1990

IBA 45658 MOA167437

2000 LTC 90,600 miles KIA (new)
2003 LTE 164,188 miles Silver (Purchased with 1687)
2008 R1200RT 176,196 miles (Purchased with 16458)
2017 R1200RT 96,669miles (new)
Total BMW miles 509,508
1982 GL1100 rode 84108 miles (bought with 12012 sold 96120)
1988 GL1500 rode 12067 miles (bought with 19893 totaled 31960)
1989 GL1500 rode 142208 miles (bought with 20302 sold 162510)
Goldwing miles 238,383

post #4 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2007, 6:40 pm

Back Speakers Don't Work

Hi:

I have a 99 LT and the back speakers don't work. Any idea's? Is this common as they told me at the dealer?

Thanks,

Kirk1111
K1200LT
Suzuki Cavalcade
Yam. 1100S
Yam 550 Seca
post #5 of 8 Old May 2nd, 2007, 11:40 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk1111
Hi:

I have a 99 LT and the back speakers don't work. Any idea's? Is this common as they told me at the dealer?

Thanks,

Kirk1111
K1200LT
Suzuki Cavalcade
Yam. 1100S
Yam 550 Seca
IT is NOT common. Have you pushed the music clef button on the panel above the radio display? Pushing it several times will take you to the *fade* display and then pushing the left handlebar 'volume/seek' disk will take the sound to front speakers only/front-back speakers/back speakers only. If that doesn't work, then under the passenger seat, there are two barrel connectors - make sure each has a tight fit and maybe twist them apart and apply some di-electric grease to the pinholes and reconnect. Other than that, I'm not sure where your problem lies. Hopefully someone else will chime in. Can't believe the dealer couldn't diagnose a radio problem?!!
post #6 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2007, 12:31 pm

Radio

I hope this is not a hijack. It is not meant as that. It seems that there are some quirky happenings with the comm system.

I have an '02 LTE. The problem I am experiencing is that with the helmet speakers the volume on the left speaker is so low that I have to offset the balance of left and right speakers to a 9 to the left. Only then can I hear stereo sound. Yet, if I switch to external speakers that is not necessary, since both left and right channels work OK. For a while I thought it was the helmet speakers, but that assumption turned out to be incorrect when I upgraded to top of the line J&M speakers.

Occasionally, the radio does not work at all, but the CD changer and the Satellite radio work, and then, at a later session it works fine. The left-right problem, however, does remain. All other functions of the radio seem to work fine.

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #7 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2007, 1:05 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ademarzi
I hope this is not a hijack. It is not meant as that. It seems that there are some quirky happenings with the comm system.

I have an '02 LTE. The problem I am experiencing is that with the helmet speakers the volume on the left speaker is so low that I have to offset the balance of left and right speakers to a 9 to the left. Only then can I hear stereo sound. Yet, if I switch to external speakers that is not necessary, since both left and right channels work OK. For a while I thought it was the helmet speakers, but that assumption turned out to be incorrect when I upgraded to top of the line J&M speakers.

Occasionally, the radio does not work at all, but the CD changer and the Satellite radio work, and then, at a later session it works fine. The left-right problem, however, does remain. All other functions of the radio seem to work fine.
Alvaro, what are you using for a comm. system? When you replaced your helmet speakers, how far into the wiring harness did you replace --- to the helmet connectors; just at the speakers; or the entire helmet harness?

Sounds to me like the problem might lie in the left/right speaker connection within the helmet harness. For example, I have an AutoComm unit and I did have to disconnect and reconnect the two-pin connector at the helmet. I goofed and didn't get one of the pins seated good - got the same type of one weak helmet speaker like you described. I redid the connection and made sure the two-pin unit engaged fully --- problem went away and I'm back to center-mode for the fade balance feature, with both speakers working fine.

Hope you find a solution for yours, cuz it is extremely aggravating to have to listen to un-balanced speaker output!! Good luck.
post #8 of 8 Old May 3rd, 2007, 3:26 pm

Unhappy

Dick,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have replaced the two connectors (it was one of the first things I did) using the passenger wires, and also connecting to the rear outlet. Same problem. I will try the radio re-boot as it was suggested in a rprior response. Hopefully it will work. I am planning a two month coast to coast trip this summer and I want to be sure I have sounds with me for the trip.

As far as the comm system, it is the one that came from the factory. The Orca is an '02 LTE, and even though I bought it used, I think when it was originally purchased it was included with CD changer, CB radio, etc..

Puzzling.

Alvaro

"Whatever you can do or dream you can begin it.
Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Begin it now."

Goethe

'02 K1200LT-E "Orca"
BushTech Trailer (Nugget?)
'77 GS750 Suzuki (Red Knight) (To be sold soon)

BMWMOA 131323
HDDC Posse

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in