5Likes
  • 2 Post By dshealey
  • 1 Post By cwarren
  • 1 Post By RoadHouse
  • 1 Post By RoadHouse

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 6:46 am Thread Starter

New to BMW

Hello to everyone. After riding for over 35 years on Yamahas, Kawasakis, Honda and Harley Davidson. I've decided to upgrade to BMW. I just purchased a 2005 K 1200 LT with only 3217 miles on it. Can anyone give me any feedback on anything to look for as far as problems, pleasures etc?

What type range as far as milage can I expect on a tank of gas? The bike looks virtually brand new. Is the 2005 a good year, or are they all good years? I wrenched on all my Harley's, will it be fairly easy to change my own oil, take wheels off myself and take them in for tire change? Any and all info and schooling would be much appreciated. I work over seas in Indonesia and I'm planning a long road trip through the western to midwest states Ca, Az, NM, Co, Ut, SD, ND etc. between May and Aug depending when I get free from over here. Thanks ahead of time for any and all help and feedback.

Daymon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 7:05 am

Re: New to BMW

I have a 05 that I bought new. It has 46,000 miles and I have never had a problem.
post #3 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 11:02 am

Being wrench inclined, do not worry about the possible problems, just handle them IF they show up, with all kinds of information and help available on this site.

The pleasures will be abundantly clear once you ride it for a while. The pleasures are far more abundant than the possible problems.
hschisler and tconnell like this.

I don't want to achieve immortality through my work...I want to achieve it through not dying.

David Shealey
Dandridge, TN
EX: '01 Black LT, BAT BYKE (Totaled at 110,000 miles)
IBA SS, BB, BBG, 10/10ths.
No bike now, but maybe in the future.

post #4 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 12:19 pm Thread Starter

123 looks so far and only two replays. Lol! Too funny. Thanks guys I appreciate it and I look forward to a trouble free ride. Please have a good day
post #5 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 12:23 pm

Oil changes require a special oil filter wrench since the filter is inside the oilpan, otherwise the process is straight forward.

Tire removal is also reasonably simple.

Mileage: This depends on how and where you ride. I would expect MPG range of low 40's to low 50's in most cases being in the mid 40's.

Roy Gregersen

Ride Slow, Ride Fast, Always Ride Safe
85 K100RT sold
02 LTC DOA 9/21/14
12 R1200RT
post #6 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 1:58 pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadHouse View Post
123 looks so far and only two replays. Lol! Too funny.
Not being snarky, but I'll address that.... the most likely reason for 123:2 ratio is because you have the same question(s) that every other new to BMW or new to LT owner likely has, and we (the readers) assume that you haven't checked out this site because (a) you don't mention that you have and (b) this is your first post - so you haven't otherwise demonstrated that you have.

To their credit, the 123 viewers didn't flame you with a bunch of "search before asking questions" posts. And I wasn't going to either (I was in the original 123 non-responders), until you brought it up.

This site and it's inhabitants are EXTREMELY useful/helpful, I bought my first BMW (an LT) about 2 years ago and sold it recently for a GTL. I had no clue about BMWs or LTs (or much about bike maint in general). This site helped me TREMENDOUSLY, and I'm still lurking even though I don't have the LT.

So, enjoy your new ride, take advantage of the knowledge and people on the board, but first take advantage of the self-help feature (i.e. search) and then ask specific questions where something is not clear. There is likely no question you'll have that hasn't already been fully addressed.

Makemorepower likes this.

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E
post #7 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 2:06 pm

I, too, just moved t the BMW after several other manufacturers. I've only rented Harley's, generally staying under the 1,000 mile weekend trip. I purchased my 2000 K1200LT after doing a lot of research and trolling on this and other forums.

I don't know much, but this is what I do know:
1) I immediately drove it home (1,090 miles) and loved it!
2) my 2000 is a different bike than your 2005, but the earlier ones (and maybe the older ones?) biggest common failure is the final drive. The second one seems to be something about a drilling a weep hole.
3) They're easy to work on. There are some great videos on youtube and the service manual can be found online if you look hard enough.

Good luck and welcome (from another new guy).

2000 BMW K1200 LT (Alice)
Gone, but not forgotten:
1983 Venture Royale
1982 Goldwing Aspencade
1982 Yamaha 650 Maxxim
1975 Yamaha 650 Special

Katy, TX
post #8 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 2:14 pm Thread Starter

Thanks for the response to my last post. Honestly, I knew if I made a comment like this, that I would receive an answer from someone. Lol! It was all in fun. .Just my nature.

This is my first ever forum, so I'm a little lost navigating and such. The BMW guy advised to go on here to learn more and become acquainted with the people who ride BMW touring, so I did. I will try to learn what the normal protocol is as far as asking questions, researching etc.

As it would appear. I'm totally lost with this new bike and as I've been schooled properly already with this forum. I was in the Marines, so I learned to overcome and adapt. This will be no different. Take care gents and my apologies if I'm wasting anyone's time on old news.

BTW.....Is there an instructional thread on the proper protocol when you join this forum? If there is, can someone point me north, so I will not end up south! Thanks, take it easy and ride safe!
scotts likes this.
post #9 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 2:43 pm

Quote:
BTW.....Is there an instructional thread on the proper protocol when you join this forum? If there is, can someone point me north, so I will not end up south! Thanks, take it easy and ride safe!
Maybe, but in the meantime here's a quick summary of useful information (don't take this as gospel, but it'll get you started).
  • There is a menu bar below the BMW Luxury Touring banner (white letters on blue background) that says: Home - Forums - Advertise - Active Topics - etc - etc. On that menu, there is a "Technical" menu option. Under Technical click Files and you will get to a lot of maintenance write-ups. FAQ and Hall of Wisdom are also under Technical.
  • On the main K1200LT forum (and on any forum here), there is a "Search" option in the upper right corner.
  • Finally, the Northern Illinois BMW riders club posted a bunch of very nice videos on various topics. You can find them here: Maint./ Repair Videos

Chris W

Current
'14 K1600 GTL

Previous
'09 HD Fat Bob
'07 K1200 LT (gf misses it)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

'01 Triumph Sprint ST
'79 Suzuki GS1100E
post #10 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 5:25 pm

I could easily get a range of 250 miles on a tank of gas in my 2002. I did my own oil, final drive and transmission oils on my own. The back wheel is easy to remove, just remove the license plate flap first. I even was able to flush my own brakes. Just be prepared for a learning curve is all. It's time consuming to take the bodywork off but the more you do it the faster it goes. She's ugly when she's naked too.

Chris Ehlbeck
2002 BMW K1200LTE Toscana Green Retired with 85,391 miles
2014 BMW R1200RT Quartz Blue Metallic

post #11 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 6:21 pm

Hi,

I am relatively new to BMW's too after owning many other brands over the years. Using this site I learned to change the oil in the engine, transmission and final drive. I was also able to get rid of the "cowbell" by changing out the rear rotor and brake pads (once again, using this site). Rebuilt the steering stabilizer and learned how to replace a burnt out driving light bulb using one from Home Depot as well!

I would not even have considered a BMW product if I had to rely on the dealer to provide all the service and repairs ($$$), but by researching here I realized I could do most everything myself and that prompted me to buy my 03 K1200LT. I have already purchased a new fuel and air filter, plugs and fuel line fittings and will be doing that in Feb when it's just too cold and wet to enjoy riding.

Once again, welcome and hope to see you on the road. Oh, and I get around 43 mpg on my 55 mile round trip commute to/from work. Half freeway, half Portland city riding.

Thank you for your military service!

Chris
post #12 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 7:18 pm

Daymon, Welcome to the clan.
Your initial post sounds exactly like my first one about 1 year ago. You have come to the right place for all the answers you may need.
Everyone is more than helpful.
I also am a Proud New owner of a 08' LT which had 10K when I purchased it.
Put on 5K this last Summer. You have the Top of the Line Machine there, just watch over her, and she will treat You like Family.
Regards, Donn
post #13 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 8:13 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwarren View Post
Maybe, but in the meantime here's a quick summary of useful information (don't take this as gospel, but it'll get you started).
  • There is a menu bar below the BMW Luxury Touring banner (white letters on blue background) that says: Home - Forums - Advertise - Active Topics - etc - etc. On that menu, there is a "Technical" menu option. Under Technical click Files and you will get to a lot of maintenance write-ups. FAQ and Hall of Wisdom are also under Technical.
  • On the main K1200LT forum (and on any forum here), there is a "Search" option in the upper right corner.
  • Finally, the Northern Illinois BMW riders club posted a bunch of very nice videos on various topics. You can find them here: Maint./ Repair Videos
Thanks Chris for your help. Be safe!
post #14 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 8:22 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgfolkmann View Post
Daymon, Welcome to the clan.
Your initial post sounds exactly like my first one about 1 year ago. You have come to the right place for all the answers you may need.
Everyone is more than helpful.
I also am a Proud New owner of a 08' LT which had 10K when I purchased it.
Put on 5K this last Summer. You have the Top of the Line Machine there, just watch over her, and she will treat You like Family.
Regards, Donn
Donn, Thank you so much for the warm welcome aboard! I'm looking very forward to the experience. I'm in Indonesia now and will pick the bike up in Charleston, Sc in mid March. Then I will ride her home for my first experience to NC about 4 or 5 hours away. I have two Harley's )13 Fatboy- 07- FLHT) now and wondering if selling them both maybe in my future. I also really like the K1300S. Man thats a sexy bike! Just wondering now as I'm 52, my taste is changing more towards the cruising sport scene, even though it has always been there, but its time to just go for it. If this LT is what I think it is. The FLHT is gone and I'm buying that K 1300S (2009-2010) year range. Take care and maybe we will cross paths on the road. Thanks and be safe!
post #15 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 8:30 pm

Garage

everyone's been a newbie at some point welcome aboard, have a great Xmas. also look down the bottom of the page for "similar threads" they will help with questions as well

Regards Linton
From the land of Kangaroo's and Koalas
and no koalas are not Bears

2002 K1200LT
2010 Suzuki GSX 1250FA (the Wifes)
2004 Cub Kamparoo Sprint
My Toys
1976 Datsun 260Z
1989 Nissan 300zx TT
post #16 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 9:40 pm

Quote:
I have two Harley's )13 Fatboy- 07- FLHT) now and wondering if selling them both maybe in my future.
After years of riding Harleys, including basically all of their models, I bought an '02 K1200LT a year and a half ago. Immediately took a 7000 mile trip on it and loved it. My last two Harleys were an '09 FLHTCU and a '12 Switchback. I thought I would keep the Switchback for local rides and the LT for long trips. After a few months, I realized that I never rode the Switchback, even around town. The LT has more power than either of your Harleys, way better brakes, much quicker handling, and a lot more features. With less torque and a single disc dry clutch, you will need to use more revs starting up, and a faster clutch engagement, but that can easily be learned. My prediction is that you will soon get rid of both of the Harleys, and never look back.

2005 BMW K1200LT
post #17 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 10:20 pm

Welcome aboard! You will love this bike. Mine is an 02 so it is a little different but no big deal. With only 3200 miles on this bike I would assume it might have the original tires on it, if so check them close for weather cracking etc. But just get on this bike and ride it like you stole it and enjoy.
post #18 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 10:21 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkbmw View Post
After years of riding Harleys, including basically all of their models, I bought an '02 K1200LT a year and a half ago. Immediately took a 7000 mile trip on it and loved it. My last two Harleys were an '09 FLHTCU and a '12 Switchback. I thought I would keep the Switchback for local rides and the LT for long trips. After a few months, I realized that I never rode the Switchback, even around town. The LT has more power than either of your Harleys, way better brakes, much quicker handling, and a lot more features. With less torque and a single disc dry clutch, you will need to use more revs starting up, and a faster clutch engagement, but that can easily be learned. My prediction is that you will soon get rid of both of the Harleys, and never look back.
Most likely you will be right. I see you have a 2005 also. The 2005 K 12 LT I just bought, only has 3217 miles on it and same tires as from factory. I cant wait to pick it up in March. From all the ones for sale I've seen. I really got a fantastic price for mine with such low miles. Thanks for your post. I will let you know my decision at a later date. Be safe!
post #19 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 10:24 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notahog View Post
Welcome aboard! You will love this bike. Mine is an 02 so it is a little different but no big deal. With only 3200 miles on this bike I would assume it might have the original tires on it, if so check them close for weather cracking etc. But just get on this bike and ride it like you stole it and enjoy.

Ahh Notahog....You have read my mind. Is there any other way to ride one? Patiently waiting for March! Be safe!
post #20 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 10:32 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle View Post
everyone's been a newbie at some point welcome aboard, have a great Xmas. also look down the bottom of the page for "similar threads" they will help with questions as well
Axle, thank you much for the welcome. Yes, I'm starting to learn the navigation technique. You to for Xmas. Be safe!
post #21 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 10:37 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xlrrp View Post
Hi,

I am relatively new to BMW's too after owning many other brands over the years. Using this site I learned to change the oil in the engine, transmission and final drive. I was also able to get rid of the "cowbell" by changing out the rear rotor and brake pads (once again, using this site). Rebuilt the steering stabilizer and learned how to replace a burnt out driving light bulb using one from Home Depot as well!

I would not even have considered a BMW product if I had to rely on the dealer to provide all the service and repairs ($$$), but by researching here I realized I could do most everything myself and that prompted me to buy my 03 K1200LT. I have already purchased a new fuel and air filter, plugs and fuel line fittings and will be doing that in Feb when it's just too cold and wet to enjoy riding.

Once again, welcome and hope to see you on the road. Oh, and I get around 43 mpg on my 55 mile round trip commute to/from work. Half freeway, half Portland city riding.

Thank you for your military service!

Chris
Chris,
Thanks for the heads up and I will certainly be looking for those needed threads when the time comes. I like to mess around a little and get to know the girl who is going to take me by the short hairs and get me to and fro. Have a great Holiday. Be safe!
post #22 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 10:39 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueknightga6 View Post
I could easily get a range of 250 miles on a tank of gas in my 2002. I did my own oil, final drive and transmission oils on my own. The back wheel is easy to remove, just remove the license plate flap first. I even was able to flush my own brakes. Just be prepared for a learning curve is all. It's time consuming to take the bodywork off but the more you do it the faster it goes. She's ugly when she's naked too.
If she's that ugly, I may have to put a bag over her head. Then again, it depends on how many brews I've had. Thanks for your input
post #23 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 10:48 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leboyd View Post
I, too, just moved t the BMW after several other manufacturers. I've only rented Harley's, generally staying under the 1,000 mile weekend trip. I purchased my 2000 K1200LT after doing a lot of research and trolling on this and other forums.

I don't know much, but this is what I do know:
1) I immediately drove it home (1,090 miles) and loved it!
2) my 2000 is a different bike than your 2005, but the earlier ones (and maybe the older ones?) biggest common failure is the final drive. The second one seems to be something about a drilling a weep hole.
3) They're easy to work on. There are some great videos on youtube and the service manual can be found online if you look hard enough.

Good luck and welcome (from another new guy).
Wow, what a maiden voyage. Your right about the YouTube videos to help repair just about anything and everything. I actually looked for a week, one day and 2 hours and 3 minutes one time. On how to fix a broken marriage, but never found that help vid. Anyone found that one? If you have, let that other guy know. I don't need it now . Happy Holidays and be safe!
post #24 of 30 Old Dec 4th, 2014, 10:51 pm Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear View Post
Oil changes require a special oil filter wrench since the filter is inside the oilpan, otherwise the process is straight forward.

Tire removal is also reasonably simple.

Mileage: This depends on how and where you ride. I would expect MPG range of low 40's to low 50's in most cases being in the mid 40's.
Roy thanks for your info. Have great Holidays and be safe!
post #25 of 30 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 12:50 am
cws

Garage

G'day Daymon... since no-one else seems to have mentioned it so far... (OK they have.. I skipped a few lines.. )
a 2005 with 3217 miles on it must have been sitting unridden for a hell of a long time... or it had a lot of very short trips in that time... not real good for it.

You'll be wanting to carefully check the condition of all the rubber as its 10 years old... also check the vin number (last 7 digits) you might just find it was really built sometime in 2004...

Likely the key points haven't ever been fixed....
Fuel tank Quick disconnects - replace plastic with metal QD's ASAP
Think about brake line replacements - Spieglers... may not be neccesary but who knows - 10 years is considered about the safe limit
Change all oils & fluids
Look up "cow bell" - clanging rear 5-point rotor.. can be changed to a 10 point that stops it
Low beam headlight is shit, replace it with a HID (cheap nowadays), don't bother doing the high beam.

All the guru's live on this site... no question too dumb if you've made half an attempt to look first

With a bit of care up front you'll have a great bike, and a lot of good friends.... for a long time.
Enjoy, and welcome.

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #26 of 30 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 3:41 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post
G'day Daymon... since no-one else seems to have mentioned it so far... (OK they have.. I skipped a few lines.. )
a 2005 with 3217 miles on it must have been sitting unridden for a hell of a long time... or it had a lot of very short trips in that time... not real good for it.

You'll be wanting to carefully check the condition of all the rubber as its 10 years old... also check the vin number (last 7 digits) you might just find it was really built sometime in 2004...

Think about brake line replacements - Spieglers... may not be neccesary but who knows - 10 years is considered about the safe limit
Change all oils & fluids
Look up "cow bell" - clanging rear 5-point rotor.. can be changed to a 10 point that stops it
Low beam headlight is shit, replace it with a HID (cheap nowadays), don't bother doing the high beam.

All the guru's live on this site... no question too dumb if you've made half an attempt to look first

With a bit of care up front you'll have a great bike, and a lot of good friends.... for a long time.
Enjoy, and welcome.
Chris,
Thanks so much for your input. It's currently at the dealer right now where I located and bought it. The bike just came in and was actually owned by a celebrity of sorts or actually his father is a mogul dirt rich ( He owns a sporting franchise and a TV network).

Anyway, you're exactly right about the sitting. I went ahead and bought a 3 year warranty which covers everything, just for that reason alone. I already advised I wasn't taking delivery on the bike with 10 year old tires, so they're being replaced.

Now to these other items! Are these quick fixes and since it's at the dealer, should I have them replace these few things you mentioned? I'm picking it up and riding about 4 to 5 hours away and after being where I am for 9 months, I really don't want any issues.

BTW.....I'm only a Canoe trip over the water from you. I work in a little town called Timika, Indonesia. I frequently travel to and through Bali. I think Australia is only 4 hours or so from here. Thanks again for your input. Be safe!
post #27 of 30 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 3:59 am Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Painterman View Post
I have a 05 that I bought new. It has 46,000 miles and I have never had a problem.
Painterman, Thank you and I'm hoping my 05 will give me as much enjoyment and problem free riding as yours. Be safe!
Palerider likes this.
post #28 of 30 Old Dec 5th, 2014, 6:09 am
cws

Garage

Quote:
BTW.....I'm only a Canoe trip over the water from you. I work in a little town called Timika, Indonesia. I frequently travel to and through Bali. I think Australia is only 4 hours or so from here.
I wouldn't try the canoe trip from Indonesia... you'd get turned back by the Aussie Navy
Yeah, not far but still a world and 8 hours or so plane trip away

Most of the items I pointed to are do-it-yourself fixes.... but ask the dealer about any warranty recalls and whether they were ever done.
The rear clanging 5-point rotor did have a replacement recall way back.... I know mine was changed out under warranty.

Make sure they put new (preferably metal) stem valves in. A few of us use these short ones.

Not sure about a recall for the QD's, (don't think there was) but you can get some from BeemerBoneyard to swap over for about $75 or so, or some like Jiffy-tight (?)... quite a few threads about them. Dealer changed them on my LT during a big service, but I did my own on the GT, not hard.
HID upgrade you can do yourself, stealer would likely charge a fortune, thats if they'd do it.
What else... drill weep hole in the clutch housing (shouldn't need that yet.. but then who knows with a 10 year un-run-in bike...)

If you like to wrench, get a Clymers manual and do it yourself... everyone here will totally encourage you. I let the stealers take way too much money from me before I got game to rip into mine.

And if John Z, Saddleman or some of the other very well informed owners here tell you to do something, trust them...

Chris
Sydney, NSW
2005 Dark Graphite Metallic K1200LT

2005 Orient Blue Metallic K1200GT SE
(sold 2019)
2000 Red Honda CB250 (the toy)

Ulysses #45310
GS911

post #29 of 30 Old Dec 10th, 2014, 3:03 pm

Quote:
Painterman, Thank you and I'm hoping my 05 will give me as much enjoyment and problem free riding as yours. Be safe!
Road house..........truthe of the matter is; "Ride it like you Stole it"............if it breaks, fix it...........if it ain't broke, paint it................enjoy the dickens out of it...................good luck...........and it's spelled..........."B-Safe"........FYI....J

Jim and Cyndy
'03 Black..."Ol' Dollar"
TDMTT
post #30 of 30 Old Dec 10th, 2014, 4:51 pm

Welcome Daymon! I'll just add one area of concern to this list. I bought my '05 (in '08) with just 3k and it still is a wonderful bike at 46k. +1 on the Spieglers, but the one other event likely to cause you a problem within the first 25k is a transmission seal leak. This happened to me and deposited a lot of fluid in my final drive boot. Not hard to replace and the replacement seal is a new composition, but you do need a special "windowed 30mm socket" to pull the final drive and swing-arm. If you go in there to do this work, you may also find the slave cylinder is leaking as well (mine was). If this goes unrepaired for long it can fry your (dry) clutch. Drill the "weep hole" to detect this before that happens. Finally, seems obvious to me now but, keep it in gear when you park it on the side stand. DAMHIK!
Quote:
Originally Posted by cws View Post

Change all oils & fluids

Enjoy, and welcome.

'15 GTLE

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the BMW Luxury Touring Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in